• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Laminar Lip

WalterK75

I'm thinking of getting a Laminar Lip for my K75RT.

http://www.laminarlip.com/k75rt.php

I'd like to hear what anyone who has one installed thinks of them. I'd prefer K75RT or K100RT owners feedback, but if anyone has used a Laminar Lip, please tell me what you think of them. In addition to general information about how they work, I'm curious about how they work in the rain.

I use an MRA screen with lip on my Vstrom. It works great, rain or shine.

Why would it be different in the rain?

I have one on an 07 R12RT. It allows me to keep the windshield well below eye level, as I prefer, while providing the protection and noise reduction equal to having the screen above eye level. I have not noticed anything noteworthy about using it in the rain.

Had one on my last airhead and it helped direct the airflow over my helmet a bit.

FWIW, I've heard generally positive comments about them on K75s.

My concern about rain was because the air flows behind the Lip. I thought there might be a possibility it would bring up water from the windshield and it would fly around behind the windscreen. Apparently this doesn't happen.

Thanks for the quick replies. It sounds like a good thing to have so I'll be ordering one for my bike.

I use one on the "M" windscreen the CLC came with and like the way it pushes the air over my helmet. Great product that saved me from buying a much more expensive replacement wind screen. Ride Safe :usa :usa

I have a Lamilar lip on a short "sport" windshield on my ST1100. I added it to direct the air a little higher, above the center of my chest. My helmet still is in clean, undisturbed air. The lip seems to redirect more rain over my head even though the percieved airflow on my face shield is not behind the screens bubble.

I have not ridden without the lip in rain to compare performance with the lip. In less than pleasant weather I take the K100LT for it's superior weather protection.

jim

My current K100RS has a Laminar Lip that a previous owner installed. It is much lower than the Aeroflow windscreen I installed on my last bike, a K75 with RS windscreen and fairing.

While I saved the Aeroflow and intended to install it, the Laminar Lip seems to provide as much protection as the much taller Aeroflow. Both provide a calm non-turbulent riding environment - and both allow bugs to spatter my face shield.

I think the real answer would be a low windscreen plus the Laminar Lip: bugs and rain directed just above the shield on your helmet, but great visibility above the windscreen.

Anyone who has experimented much with windscreens knows that a small change in dimension or angle means the difference between great, OK, and awful.

If anyone has advice that would get the OP (and me) from OK to great using a Laminar Lip, please do tell.

Great thread! I've been considering some type of windshield change on my GT for a while and after reading this perhaps I'll try a Laminar Lip. It may be just enough to improve the wind noise and buffetting.

Thanks,
Bob
"04 K1200GT

TT wind deflector vs. LL

Not to change the subject here but Touratech also makes a clip-on wind deflector that may be worthwhile in some situations.

I ran across them when I was shopping for farkles for my GSPD and almost ordered one instead of the LL. My decision between them came down to all the praise LLips generally receive.

Still, a TT deflector may be worth a try by anyone less inclined to make a somewhat permanent addition to his/her windscreen, thus the mention here.

An update:
I got the LL for my K75RT and it works as I hoped. I'm 6'4" with 34 inseam, in case it makes a difference. I ride with the Shoei RF1000 and Shoei Multitec helmet. The airflow now is at the top of the helmet. This dramatically reduced noise, which was my main reason for getting the LL. It also changed the sound enough that I have to relearn the sound-speed relationship. I find I tend to ride faster because it sounds quieter so I'm getting used to the new sound. I also have fewer bugs on the helmet visor, which is nice.

I've been up around 140 kph and no problems with undue vibration of shield or any sign of LL coming off. I did ride in moderate rain and some water rises to the top of the windshield behind the LL and down the inside of the windshield. It wasn't severe. I need to check it out in heavy rain over an extended ride. I don't think it will be a problem.

Gee, 11 posts on the Laminar Lip and not a single negative comment from users!

I'm wondering (mods take note) if this whole thread should be moved to the "gear" forum. There is nothing about this great device specific to K bikes. I suspect that it would catch the attention of a lot more riders in that forum.
Let me think about that.. since this was asked for a K Brick - and each LaminarLip is designed for a specific bike...
What seems clear is that the Laminar Lip deflects air (including bugs) higher than standard windscreens. How much higher? Perhaps the manufacturer, or experimentally minded riders, could provide that info.

But a great view forward with a bug free faceshield and no turbulence has to sound like heaven for a great many riders who have yet to achieve nirvana.

One or two comments - being part of many ongoing threads on shields on an R1200R specific forum I'm on:

What works for one person may not work for another - things like:
  • Head height above the windshield
  • Body position
  • Tank bag or not
  • Bar-backs
  • Arm length
  • Helmet type
  • And a buncha other variables
Can change how happy one person is with a windshield (or wind-deflector in this case) vs someone else. Head height is a combination of factors - torso length, neck length, seat height, bar-position (racing to bar-backs on a cruiser..) as are most of the other variables. Unless you can find someone identical to you, who rides an identical bike with the same accessories, seat, helmet, etc.. it's basically guesswork if what works for them will work for you.

That's why I'm inclined to leave this thread under K-Bricks..

Best thing if you can - ask the manufacturer about their return policy. If you aren't happy will they make you happy by giving you your money back? Some vendors will, some won't.

YMMV, but probably not a whole bunch..

Back