• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hot weather jacket

xcell1600

I am looking for a high quality jacket for hot, humid Chicago summers. Can anyone provide feedback on the Rukka Airob and BMW AirFlow 4?

Thanks,

I'm looking also. I currently have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket. It, in a word, sucks. :D

I just bought an Olympia Airglide 2 jacket. Haven't used it yet, temps are still down where I wear my Rally II.

I also bought one of those cool vests, but in your humidity, I don't think it would work... Here in CA, it is great.

I have a Joe Rocket Mesh jacket and it's great. When in less humid areas I also put on a wet vest under it for additional cooling.

Airglide II in light grey for me. I've found it comfortable into the 90's at least as far as that is possible.

I've never seen anything that looks like it'd vent air better than Vanson's Vent Max. Its strictly utilitarian, though. Nothing fancy. The earlier Vent Max 3 version doesn't even have pockets. With the hot summers we have here I'm really considering it. And, of course, Vanson's quality is well known. The current version is the Vent Max 4, but you can still find some of the Vent Max 3 jackets which are considerably less expensive ($250 as opposed to $150). I'm a bit mad at myself for not picking up one of the Vent Max 3 jackets a year ago when they were on sale at my local dealership.

I currently wear the original version of the First Gear Mesh-Tex, which I've had for nearly 10 years. Even though its a good product that's held up well, I don't wear it most of the summer. The mesh is finely woven and vents well at higher speeds, but in slower rush hour traffic its just one more piece of material that I'd rather not have draped over me. The Vanson Vent Max, on the other hand has a much more open mesh that looks like it'd work a lot better in the Texas heat.

I've had good luck with my tourmaster transistion II went with them because they have tall sizes also, with the liners it can work from 30 to 100 degrees well...

I've never seen anything that looks like it'd vent air better than Vanson's Vent Max. Its strictly utilitarian, though. Nothing fancy. The earlier Vent Max 3 version doesn't even have pockets. With the hot summers we have here I'm really considering it. And, of course, Vanson's quality is well known. The current version is the Vent Max 4, but you can still find some of the Vent Max 3 jackets which are considerably less expensive ($250 as opposed to $150). I'm a bit mad at myself for not picking up one of the Vent Max 3 jackets a year ago when they were on sale at my local dealership.

I currently wear the original version of the First Gear Mesh-Tex, which I've had for nearly 10 years. Even though its a good product that's held up well, I don't wear it most of the summer. The mesh is finely woven and vents well at higher speeds, but in slower rush hour traffic its just one more piece of material that I'd rather not have draped over me. The Vanson Vent Max, on the other hand has a much more open mesh that looks like it'd work a lot better in the Texas heat.

I've had a Vanson Vent Max 3 for a little over a year. Any time the temps are over 85 that's what I wear. Cordura 1000 mesh and CE armor at a very good price. I just bought a Revit Sirocco jacket because it's said to be a great 3 season jacket. I've only rode in it a few times but with the wind and thermal liner removed it was comfortable on the highway last weekend with temps in the mid to upper 80's. I was looking 1 jacket that I could take on a trip this June that would take me through the Rockies as well as the hot flat lands of Texas. I think the Sirocco my just be the one that'll do it.

I use a Cortec GX-Air jacket and Firstgear HT overpants. Wear shorts underneath them. Very cool, even on a hot Texas day.

Airflow 3 jacket and pants, perfect for me, great fit and good quality.
:thumb
Hi
same here. Been wearing them all summer here as well as travelling in 115 degree heat in Central Australia. Very happy with the products. Not cheap but will last a long time.

Airglide in High Viz Yellow!

Plus, with the liner in place, you can wear it when temps dip down to the mid 40s and still not be cold.

LA heat

...uh...that's Lower Alabama heat folks.....we's gots it!!!!

I'm not sure I understand all of the experts discussion (above) but it sure is interesting!! Thanks for the info:thumb

mesh

Bought a First Gear Rush Mesh Jacket a year ago. Have been very happy with it. The zip out storm liner helps for cooler temps. It breathes well. Previous jacket was a Coretech (still use for colder weather) that did not breath enough for me (only has limited vent access points).

I already own a Rev'it Ignition jacket which I wore all last summer (We had many 90+ degree days) with the liner and vest out and the sleeve vents open. It was tolerable but the black leather on it was a bit much.

I wear the mesh & leather Gear pant and they are amazingly comfortable at all temps and have a zip out gore-tex liner which I seldom wear!

I am about to buy a Rev'it Turbine in Silver for the summer.
Excellent protection and bullet proof materials and lots of mesh.

PROTECTION FEATURES
Outer shell: Dynax mesh, Cordura?« 1000D, PWR|shell 500D, PWR|shell 750D, SuperFabric?«, Lorica?«
Protection: ProLife?« CE protection at shoulders and elbows, SuperFabric?« in impact areas, Temperfoam?« back protector
Waterproofing: None

Breathability: Dynax mesh panels on the chest, sleeves and back

Visibility: laminated reflective panels ERGONOMIC FEATURES
Fit: tour fit, regular

Adjustability: UTA | tab at cuffs, flexisnap XL, adjustment straps at hips, adjustment tabs at upper and under arms

Ventilation: ventilation panels at chest, back and arms
Features: collar hook, stretch lips at elbows, long connection zipper and double short connection zipper
Pockets: 2 slit pockets at the front, inner pockets

After years of riding (since the 1960's, including in Vietnam), I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as a "cool" jacket.
I agree with that. During my commutes and other city riding in the summer I'll be in a short sleeved shirt because I dislike having anything extra draped over me. Its just too hot. I know its not ATGATT, but its a risk I take because I otherwise won't ride.

I will wear a mesh jacket on long rides in the summer because I know I'll be moving, and it helps with the fatigue factor.

I just picked up a Tourmaster Sonora Air and it seems well made. It is the mesh version of the transition. It comes with 2 liners, a thermal and a rain which gives it alot of flexibility. For the price it is hard to beat.

Back