• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Idle thoughts on using an ATM from a motorcycle

mistercindy

I went to an ATM this morning to get some cash and make a deposit, and it occurred to me that I'd never seen a thread on using an ATM from a motorcycle. Here's my thoughts:
  • Be ready. If you know you're going to an ATM, put your card and whatever else you need in your tank bag or jacket pocket before you go so you take less time and you don't have to squirm around getting your wallet out of your pocket.
  • If you're behind somebody who is conducting ATM business, use that time to remove your gloves and get things ready for your transaction. It saves time and is a courtesy to the folks behind you.
  • When approaching the ATM, but your bike in neutral and park far enough from the ATM to rest the bike on its kickstand.
  • When at the machine in neutral, put the full weight of the bike on the kickstand. That way both hands are free to conduct your business, and you aren't thinking about balancing your bike.
  • Be aware of wind. You don't want to be ATGATT chasing $20 bills around a parking lot.
  • When finished, shove the cash, card, and receipt in your tank bag or jacket pocket and roll out. Then park in a nearby space to finish your paperwork and put your gloves back on. Its a courtesy to the folks behind you so they don't have to wait.

Sage advice. My problem is weaving through all the people on the sidewalk to get to the ATM machine, especially difficult around lunch time.

After buying my bikes, I don't have any money left. ATMs, no problem!

It just goes to being ready, I used to ride home from work with two singles in the map section of my tank bag, 3/4 of the way home a roadside stand sold the best silver queen sweetcorn( 2 bucks a dozen fresh from the field) while I got the bills out the stand owner was putting the produce in my saddle bag, never even shut off the engine, atm's are not that much differant than being ready for a toll booth...

:scratch

I cannot imagine WHY it took so long for someone to post instructions on how to use an ATM while on 2 wheels.

My life is now complete. :rolleyes :stick

:p

Yup, good advice given above.

A year or so ago, I pulled up to an after-hours ATM on my bike. While I was fiddling with my gloves, wallet, jacket zipper, bullet-proof vest, air locks and nuclear-powered farkle controllers, the machine sucked back in both the money and my card. It seems that I didn't remove them fast enough. It required an in-person trip to the bank the next day to get it sorted out.

And another place to be very aware of the oil & fluids on the usually hard concrete pad from that leaky cage in front of you... just sayin':whistle

In some parts of the country you are awfully exposed for theft. I used to live in St. Louis. No offense, but there are areas there where you have to be aware.

1. Pick your ATM carefully.
2. Be organized, minimize time spent at the ATM.
3. Guard against someone reading your PIN with binoculars or telescope.
4. After you get your money, drive off, do not just park close by and organize. Stuff the money and card into a pocket and drive well away.
5. Watch mirrors for someone following. A short drive to a police station, hospital emergency room entrance, or donut shop, anyplace where there are usually police, will lose them. Or my personal favorite, a brief bout of full throttle followed by some quick turns. They are crooks, they want your money but do not want to work for it. Nice thing, if you get stopped by the police, thank them. Tell your story of someone following, along with the time stamped ATM receipt is a virtual get off without a ticket card.
6. Never use a very recent ATM visit as an excuse to speed.

Rod

But you didn't answer the most important question!!! Why is the keyboard at the drive through ATM in Braille? :scratch

But you didn't answer the most important question!!! Why is the keyboard at the drive through ATM in Braille? :scratch

Now that it just slightly over the top in political correctness. And we wonder why car drivers do not see motorcycles. Guess the "I did not see him" statement may be true.

Never noticed but will have to check it out. Yikes!

i'm honing my extreme slow speed riding techniques
so I don't even stop when I go through one.

I typically dismount to use tha ATM. Getting the bike in good position + keeping it there + fiddling with wallet + keeping $ from blowing away in the wind + watching surroundings = too much to deal effectively with simultaneously.

If a cage pulls in behind me, I do push the bike forward as soon as I am done with the ATM, so they can commence their business. The odd looking extra courtesy gets noticed, and is appreciated - good PR for riders.

But I do keep a close eye on the cage occupants behind me - or anyone else around - right glove doesn't go on until everything is stashed, bike is started, and I am seated.

Back