I went to an ATM this morning to get some cash and make a deposit, and it occurred to me that I'd never seen a thread on using an ATM from a motorcycle. Here's my thoughts:
- Be ready. If you know you're going to an ATM, put your card and whatever else you need in your tank bag or jacket pocket before you go so you take less time and you don't have to squirm around getting your wallet out of your pocket.
- If you're behind somebody who is conducting ATM business, use that time to remove your gloves and get things ready for your transaction. It saves time and is a courtesy to the folks behind you.
- When approaching the ATM, but your bike in neutral and park far enough from the ATM to rest the bike on its kickstand.
- When at the machine in neutral, put the full weight of the bike on the kickstand. That way both hands are free to conduct your business, and you aren't thinking about balancing your bike.
- Be aware of wind. You don't want to be ATGATT chasing $20 bills around a parking lot.
- When finished, shove the cash, card, and receipt in your tank bag or jacket pocket and roll out. Then park in a nearby space to finish your paperwork and put your gloves back on. Its a courtesy to the folks behind you so they don't have to wait.