• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bi Xenon HID H4 Bulb Question

saylorspond

To follow up on the recent discussion of HID light conversion kits, I have a general question for those who have installed a Bi-Xenon HID H4 bulb on an R1100RT or RS.

After reading several forum discussions, I decided to purchase a kit from Xenon Depot (http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Motorcycle_Xenon_HID_Conversion_Kits_s/34.htm, Ontario). The quality of this set is excellent and the kit uses a Phillips bulb.

One complication I have discovered, is caused by the new bulb's base thickness. Below I've attached a picture of the bulb from their web site.

The polymer base is thicker than the usual metal H4 bulb base. As a result, the clamps do not lock down on the bulb base. While considering my options, I was trying to see if the clamp could be reversed and broke the plasic clip holding the hinge end of the clamp. :banghead

So, does anyone have experience, or tips, on how to secure this bulb? Now that I have broken off the clamp, any suggestions on how to fix/rig the base to hold the bulb, without having to replace the entire light housing?

Thanks for any :help

Attachments

• MC-4k-H-fslash-L-3.jpg
    MC-4k-H-fslash-L-3.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
Scott:

I had one of these in my '02 1150 RS, but I had my tech instal it, so I can't say if he had any issues. From what I've read, it may be necessary to file the receptacle out a bit, to get the fit just right.

If you've got all your old BMW News, there was an article by Paul Glaves a few years ago, on an instal he did on one of their bikes.

Scott:

I had one of these in my '02 1150 RS, but I had my tech instal it, so I can't say if he had any issues. From what I've read, it may be necessary to file the receptacle out a bit, to get the fit just right.

If you've got all your old BMW News, there was an article by Paul Glaves a few years ago, on an instal he did on one of their bikes.

Unfortunately, I think that article was before I joined. Do you, or anyone else, happen to recall which issue the article was in. Any suggestions as to repairing the clip "hinge?

the one installed was a bit thicker, but with a little steady pressure I was able to clamp the hinge in place

I have fitted 2 of the H4 bulbs and a couple of others where they should not have been fitted.
I do recall making the "spring clip" from the (stainless) spring off of a rotary lawn sprinkler, and securing it with a small self tapping screw with a washer with the lip bent down.
My K bike has a rotary type securing clip. The other possible issue is that the rubber boot will need modification or replacement, and clearance can be a problem due to the bulkiness of the Bi-xenon bulb housing.

FWIW, here is how I was able to seat the Bi-Xenon bulb. The Bi-Xenon base is made out of aluminum, allowing for easy filing. I filed down the tabs to seat the bulb better. I would have had to file considerably more to match the standard H4 bulb tab thickness. Instead, I reversed the bulb clip (since I had already broken the "hinge" this was easy) and attached a screw to hold the clip in place.

HID Bi-Xenon Bulb Installation.jpg

The rim of the bulb base is notched to accomodate the clip. I had to file one side (top right in the picture on the right), to allow enough room for the top clip to snap into the catch (hopefully this makes sense). I drilled a pilot hole for the screw, snapped the bulb in place and then added the screw and clip. This should be quite secure as the only way to remove the bulb is to either recess, or remove, the screw first.

Scott:

I spoke to my tech yesterday, and he confirmed that they just file them.

Good wrenching!

I think the Xenon upgrade in the Oilers is a good one, as the stock lighting is totally inadequate for daytime running light use (I don't ride at night). I've also had kits installed in two of our cars, that have poor lighting.

Back