• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Iron Horse Stecoah NC

M

Mypzac

If any of you travel in the vicinity of western NC you must be aware of a M/C friendly resort by the name of the Iron Horse. For the past 4 years we have stayed for a 3 night labor day weekend, we always book for next year during our stay. Well, we recently recieved a call telling us that our reservation was cancelled because they wanted to book a large group. Bummer! We have always loved the place, but alas our large group that has stayed there for several years will never return. It's a Hell of a way to treat a group of regular customers. So the moral of the story is: Don't try to stay there on a Holiday weekend, they would rather have a large group.

wow, that is mighty uneighborly for these parts..... :scratch

you probably know about blue ridge motorcycle campground in cruso, eh? not as many nice hotel rooms, but excellent camping & bungalows.

have you tried down the road at the fontana resort, the crossroads of time or that place kickstand lodge?

hope it's not too late for y'all.

ian

We are in search of another place. The Iron Horse was always pretty nice, great people and good food. I guess the "Almighty Dollar" got the best of them. I just hope the group that ran us out returns every Labor Day, as we have for the last 4 years.

Thanks for the Info,
See Ya In Redmond!

Try Kickstand Campground right around the corner from Iron Horse on the main road. The folks couldn't be nicer and the shower facilities are exceptionally clean. I have stayed at Kickstand for the past 3 years and wouldn't stay at another place in the area. I think its great.

Here's the link: http://kickstandlodge.com/

Good Luck,

jq

I'm surprised. John and Charlene run a first rate operation! I've been going down to the Iron Horse with the BMWLT.com guys for 4 or 5 years now.

They have always treated us well. Did they offer to re-book you (for a discount or even gratis) for a different weeekend?

If any of you travel in the vicinity of western NC you must be aware of a M/C friendly resort by the name of the Iron Horse. For the past 4 years we have stayed for a 3 night labor day weekend, we always book for next year during our stay. Well, we recently recieved a call telling us that our reservation was cancelled because they wanted to book a large group. Bummer! We have always loved the place, but alas our large group that has stayed there for several years will never return. It's a Hell of a way to treat a group of regular customers. So the moral of the story is: Don't try to stay there on a Holiday weekend, they would rather have a large group.

Let me try to explain the situation.

Since Ironhorse opened, I like you have supported the Lodge and we all agree it is a great place to have a group of your best riding friends.

Last year, July I believe, I ask Charlene about booking a group that I am a member of in for the dates prior to Labor day. Ironhorse gave me the block of dates, a five day event. I had to get approval from my groups Board members and plan this events around other events. I was the volunteer event coordinator for this event...My first for this group.

After my Board approved the dates, I again confirmed the dates with Ironhorse and we begin to create our Web page, plan the event and put it on the calendar and create a registration process.

While my block was written in and agreed upon by Ironhorse, after Labor Day last year Charlene realized that maybe Ironhorse should have blocked that weekend for a NO Group weekend. I have since suggested that they have weekends for NON-Groups.

Now, I have been to Ironhorse many weekends during the summer, I like the Saturday night prime rib.. I realize that they need to fill the place during the window of opportunity for them (April to Nov)...Almost every weekend some group is there and I realize that what it takes to keep the doors open. Groups such as V-strom, Horizons Unlimited, Honda groups, CMA groups and the list goes on. I have been turned away several times due to a group having the rooms blocked. Thankfully I did get to eat there those times.

I am sorry this has happen, I think Charlene and staff had to make a call on this...to honor our contract or break it. I do believe it was a booking error. As you know their staff is mostly work campers and the reservation office staff changes nearly monthly.

Please give them another chance, you know they are the best hosts than any motorcycle group could ask for....

Let me try to explain the situation.

Since Ironhorse opened, I like you have supported the Lodge and we all agree it is a great place to have a group of your best riding friends.

Last year, July I believe, I ask Charlene about booking a group that I am a member of in for the dates prior to Labor day. Ironhorse gave me the block of dates, a five day event. I had to get approval from my groups Board members and plan this events around other events. I was the volunteer event coordinator for this event...My first for this group.

After my Board approved the dates, I again confirmed the dates with Ironhorse and we begin to create our Web page, plan the event and put it on the calendar and create a registration process.

While my block was written in and agreed upon by Ironhorse, after Labor Day last year Charlene realized that maybe Ironhorse should have blocked that weekend for a NO Group weekend. I have since suggested that they have weekends for NON-Groups.

Now, I have been to Ironhorse many weekends during the summer, I like the Saturday night prime rib.. I realize that they need to fill the place during the window of opportunity for them (April to Nov)...Almost every weekend some group is there and I realize that what it takes to keep the doors open. Groups such as V-strom, Horizons Unlimited, Honda groups, CMA groups and the list goes on. I have been turned away several times due to a group having the rooms blocked. Thankfully I did get to eat there those times.

I am sorry this has happen, I think Charlene and staff had to make a call on this...to honor our contract or break it. I do believe it was a booking error. As you know their staff is mostly work campers and the reservation office staff changes nearly monthly.

Please give them another chance, you know they are the best hosts than any motorcycle group could ask for....

Norwood, I totally agree with you about the large group. Even though I ride a BMW, I have made this trip with the Middle Tennesse HOG Chapter for the last 4 years on Labor Day. We booked 2 houses and 2 cabins with individual names as we always had, we booked them last Labor day and there was not a reservation for the MTF on the books at the time. They "Blew Off" one group that had been staying there to accomadate another. Very nice people, but very Bad call. They lost a good group of patrons and created an opportunity for bad press. We will not return.
:bolt

Back