• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ohio's Triple Nickel -- one way to Beemerville

Triple Nickel

Thanks for the write up and thread. A friend and I rode most of 555 in early October and though I've had the pleasure before its been a few years. My impression of the road is that like 129 its one of those bits that requires major doses of concentration. Seems that most apexes are abrupt and guaranteed to be ten feet the other side of a crest and just beyond a driveway. Tricky sinew of asphalt for sure where even mellow progress requires rapt attention as its throwing all sorts of stuff at you incessantly. Not for the faint of heart if you like to ride on the boil and dotted with moderate housing in spots. Great road but demands your attention, completely.

Cheers Steverino

Marietta Ohio

Anyone coming from the south or east to the National;

If you're passing through Marietta Ohio, which is very near the triple nickle I highly recommend a stop at

www.rossipasta.com

They make 24 wonderful flavors of gormet pasta! I just enjoyed some of the "Devils Angel Hair" wow it's smoking good! HOT and Tasty!

Lots of neat shops in Marietta, a good place to lay up for a night! There was a nice write up about the Lafayette Hotel in Downtown Marietta.
http://www.lafayettehotel.com/

Just more reasons to go to Lima!
gsjay

Riding the Triple Nickle

I recall riding 555 during the RA National Rally in Hocking Hills a few years back. It was a hoot, but I did recall riding very cautiosly as there was deBree in daRoad.
I rode with Bouncin' Bob and Doug Grossjean... let me restate that... Doug and I tried to keep up with Bob, but usually found him at the side of the road finishing a cig. There are some great roads in that area. I especially enjoyed rt 26 out of Marietta.

Mike LaBar

Attachments

• DCP01675.JPG
    DCP01675.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 183
Great Pic...

I thought I recognized Doug G... and then read your post. Sure enough! Great writer and rider.

Mike - may I have your permission to use your picture (w/photo credit) in the article? If so, I'll retouch the date out.

Thanks for the post!

Ian

Permission granted

You sure can Ian. It's not the best quality as it was taken with a Kodak 1 megapixel camera, but it does show some of the beautiful county in southeast Ohio. I believe this stop was at a church parking lot along 555.

Mike LaBar said:
You sure can Ian. It's not the best quality as it was taken with a Kodak 1 megapixel camera...

Haha! I remember paying a THOUSAND dollars for that 1 megapix camera way back when. It was the first megapixel camera for under a grand, IIRC.

And thanks for the pic, Mike... it's in the article. Check it out!

Ian

Last edited:
Did you get my Private Message?

Jason -- I've been trying to reach you to see if you can send me a larger sample of the pic of you and your bike in front of the bucket.

Do you have?

If not, I'll reference the link in the story and add your description from your post.

Thanks for reminding me! :stick

Ian

Put it up!

Jason -- check it out!

I grabbed the pic you posted to the Forum and stuck it in the article. If you can send me a bigger one, I'll pop it in there. I wanna see Big Muskie BIG!

Ian

Last edited:
My .02

Hello to GSJay. I hope to return to the Laurel Highlands rider's campout this year.
The guys at Holt BMW kept telling me o try the 555, so on the way back from the Buckeye Beemers' rally, I went north to south. WOW. I live in Charleston, WV and have ridden some great twisties around my state, but this road deserves some respect. The two main things that garnered most of my attention were the gravel and the blind drops/rises. I believe the surface is a chip-and-seal type with loose cinder-like rocks held on the road by tar (I could be wrong). This is extra challenging to me because you are having to differentiate between loose cinder and solid cinder all the time. Next, the drops/rises are very tricky. As you are approaching a rise, the surrounding landscape may lead you to believe the road will continue straight after the rise, then you crest it and quickly figure out that you need to turn or else risk an unexpected GS ride.
All in all, very fun, but very tiring. I would highly recommend it. :thumb

MG

wvcajun said:
The two main things that garnered most of my attention were the gravel and the blind drops/rises.

:clap

I just got finished watching a DVD called The Ohio Ride Guide that features on-bike videos of 38 of the best roads in the state, including the Triple Nickel.

Check out this video! And this is one of the tamer roads.

All I can say is that these sudden rises and drops look fun! Can you say "airborne?"

I knew you could!

Can't wait to ride this road!!!

Ian

Attachments

• rideguide.jpg
    rideguide.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 199
Blind Drops

I rode SR 93 this afternoon. The blind drops keep you on your toes, and they are usuall followed by a corner. What a great ride, and beautiful day.

I usually stay away from 555 until late May. This lets most of the gravel, and cinder dust from the winter get washed off. The northernmost(north of 669) section has the best pavement.

BTW, SR 541 has wonderful new pavement.

:thumb

pssssttt there's this road I know

Steverino said:
Thanks for the write up and thread. A friend and I rode most of 555 in early October and though I've had the pleasure before its been a few years. My impression of the road is that like 129 its one of those bits that requires major doses of concentration. Seems that most apexes are abrupt and guaranteed to be ten feet the other side of a crest and just beyond a driveway. Tricky sinew of asphalt for sure where even mellow progress requires rapt attention as its throwing all sorts of stuff at you incessantly. Not for the faint of heart if you like to ride on the boil and dotted with moderate housing in spots. Great road but demands your attention, completely.

Cheers Steverino

I'm proud to be a Buckeye, now that said, there is this other road I know that is longer and just as interesting. Route 800 from the Ohio River too just south of Canton. Like any of the Ohio routes through the Appalachian foothills the ridge running is fabulous. Beware of the Armco barriers on some of the sides though. How those bike racers faced all that steel back in the day is amazing to me. If the road has been paved in the last two years it can be heaven if not ride with a little more care.

Route 800, but you didn't here it from me!

Thanks!

I saw that Road 800 on the maps as I was researching the Triple Nickel article. Looks like a great one and I appreciate the corroboration.

Gonna have to spend a day or three in this area. :thumb

Ian

I'm looking forward to these roads as well, although I'm expecting them to be impossibly crowded with Beemers. Hmmmm.....

Oh, and how is speed enforcement in Ohio these days? Not that I condone exceeding posted limits mind you (The Veg says as he crosses fingers behind his back), but I do recall that they used to joke about Ohio being the only state that had the death penalty for speeding.

Back