• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

One of the oddest road incidents I've experienced happened to me yesterday.

Probably he resents that supposedly you pay less for your tag than he does for his car therefore he is entitled to your space

Had that conversation with an individual here in Sarasota who resented my taking a whole space. My response was that since I owned 3 motorcycles and 1 full size truck maybe I did own a larger share than he did. He shut up quick.

Best thing to do is give him room get out of his way and wish he tangles with the wrong individual.

Cal Garcia

Hmmmm....
  • A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my right hard bag,
  • A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my left hard bag,
  • A round BMWMOA sticker on my right hard bag, and
  • A round Lone Star BMW Riders sticker on my left hard bag.

disgruntled former MOA member?

Rule one: In a fight with a Cadillac - 5,500lbs vs 600lbs the outcome is a given.

Rule two: Avoid the confrontation unless you're willing to accept the consequences.

Personally - I can understand getting pissed, but the second time he did it, I would have waved him by. Keeping him in front and keeping a reasonable following distance is as good a defensive move as you can make.

YMMV, but not a lot.. :dance

Here is a clue...

In the first post you mentioned an "older man " and "wispy hair".

I will make you a bet that the person has a vision problem. Maybe a depth perception issue, and he does not realize how big his car is in relation to other lanes, bikes, etc. Maybe he aims the cage rather than driving it the way my father did in his last days of driving (we pulled his license and sold his car in a week) . Maybe a tune up on his tri-focals are in order.

In my tank bag, very accessible, is a small pad of paper and an allweather pen. Next time this happens, pull off to the side safely, note the license number, make of vehicle, time, place, ans what you were doing. Then call the Sheriffs Offices and alert them.

The important thing is that you are OK!

It was also a reminder to me that, when I cruise the backroads on my bike, I should add Old Dears to my list of John Deere's and real deer that can block my lane just past a blind corner.[/QUOTE]

Old Dears, John Deere's and real deers; I like that!:)

Originally Posted by mistercindy
Hmmmm....
A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my right hard bag,
A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my left hard bag,
A round BMWMOA sticker on my right hard bag, and
A round Lone Star BMW Riders sticker on my left hard bag.

disgruntled former MOA member?

ADV Rider Forum poster!!

Good thing you just got away from that nut job rather than confronting him. One never knows who's got a gun, especially in Texas.

Hmmmm....
  • A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my right hard bag,
  • A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my left hard bag,
  • A round BMWMOA sticker on my right hard bag, and
  • A round Lone Star BMW Riders sticker on my left hard bag.

Pretty tame stuff. At least I think its tame.

Something got under that guy's skin about me or maybe motorcycles generally. All I can think of is that maybe he didn't like my being on the far right of the lane, and that was his way of saying "straighten up and fly right, and get into the middle of the lane where you belong." But still, what he did is a fairly dangerous little stunt on a highway. It just doesn't make sense.

It's that "tea bag" hanging off your left turn signal :stickthat tricked his trigger! LOL

Len:thumb

I agree. I want these types of motorists in front of me, whether I am riding a bike or driving a car.
JD

Nope, I want to distance myself as far ahead of these idiots as possible. I've had them get in front of me and slam on the brakes and swerve to block me from passing them. God made that throttle and a quick response for a reason and I use it, coupled with superior manuverability. I'll do whatever it takes to get way ahead and put traffic between me and them.

I try to remind myself that I would lose in a confrontation, so I don't play games. If I can get gone, I get gone.

Me, I would of given him the one finger saute and see if he wants to play. Maybe not the wisest move, but that is what I would have done.:thumb

Mary said that she would cut off my middle finger if I ever did that again. Both are now gone...... I'm a slow learner. - Bob

direct violation of andys law #1.the only way to deal with crazy people is to not deal with crazy people.let him go.

Hypothetical Old Wispy-haired Man

(Talking on his cell phone) "Damn, Harry, I gotta get to that meeting or risk losing the $100 million deal and there's this loony toon on a scooter in front of me riding on the white line. He keeps pulling in front of me like I'm not there and giving me 'the look'. I gotta push this dimwit bunch of slow pokes outta the fast lane to get to the office and this nimrod just seems to want a ride on my bumper. Don't people know there's work to be done? They think this is a parking lot - well I hafta show 'em how to drive...

Or something like that.... :blah

I was on my Norton in downtown Dallas traffic at a red light and little old lady in a Caddy pulled up slowly behind me and actually hit the bike. I was just about ready to get off and punch out a light or something, but the light turned and discretion, as they say, became the better part of valor.

Last edited:
When I ride (or drive), I remind myself, that anyone around me might be "off" their medication... and try to just get out of their way!;)

Back