• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The R1200R - Unappreciated by both BMW Riders and BMW Motorrad?

fastdogs2

Without wishing to ruffle any feathers with RT riders, since I know this forum is dominated by them, I would submit for your consideration that the R1200R is very much unappreciated by both BMW riders and BMW Motorrad, the corporation,

Having just purchased a 2009 R1200R last month after five years on a 2005 R1200RT, I can state that I was one of those who did not appreciate the R1200R until I became a proud owner.

I have at last found a motorcycle that makes riding fun for me, again. I can feel the wind and have a sense of the speed of the bike. I can see the road to the front and the sides, unimpaired by fairing. I can move the bike around at low speed and maneuver into parking spaces, without fear of dropping it. Although I can't completely flatfoot it because I am 5'8' with a 29' inseam, but at least I am not on tiptoes, like I was with the RT.

I have seen the rumors that BMW Motorrad has decided to discontinue this bike, mainly because the price is too close to what the RT lists for. I think that is a mistake on their part. The R1200R shows the heritage of the early BMW motorcycles with its minimal coverage of engine parts, the large round headlight and the round handlebars. One look at the R and you immediately see the mark of its ancestors. BMW should always have a motorcycle that envisions that heritage.

I think this is a beautiful bike and deserves to continue to have a place in the BMW line. If BMW Motorrad discontinues the R, I am certainly glad that I have the privilege of owning one of the last ones. Those of you who haven't had the pleasure of riding or owning this great bike are the ones who will lose, if it is discontinued. I know that I am going to hold onto mine.

And, should you take it to the dealer for service, it's cheaper because there's no tupperware to remove to get at stuff. I would have bought one of these, but at the time I was misquoted for insurance. The agent I talked to insisted that it was classified as a sport bike because of the "R" in the name. I ended up with a CLC (which I am happy with). Even thought the CLC has a great fairing, you can still see down the forks to the road surface. Coming from an R60/6, which I bought new, and was, at that time, the "plain jane", my next logical choice for a new bike would have been the R1150R in '04. I enjoy seeing the engine on a motorcycle, and not just the cylinders sticking out of plastic.

I'm with you dog. You're lucky to see even one in a dealership. If I was in the market for a newer BMW the R12R would be one I would be interested in cos of everything you stated above. It's a basic bike.

I completely agree, and am sad to hear a rumor that they may be discontinuing it.

I rode one as a service loaner. My RT (previous ride) was being serviced. I took the R right to the interstate and realized that I REALLY had to hold on! I really liked the bike.

I love the "classic" look and agree they should keep it around.

When I was shopping for my current ride (KGT), I seriously considered an R or a GS because no tupperware = much easier maintenance, especially the TB sync, which looks like it can be done without removing any parts. Bonus!

If I had unlimited $$$, I would own one. [of each!] :)

- - -

Sidebar / hijack: My primary riding buddy rides a HD V-Rod. It has no wind protection to speak of. (And a 3 gallon gas tank.)

It's a pride point that I ride super long rides. It makes me feel like a badass that I can endure being exposed to the elements for so long, especially when the weather isn't absolutely perfect (and honestly, it so seldom is!).

When he goes on long rides with me - completely exposed with no windscreen or fairing - it kinda takes that "badass" down a few notches ...landing me a little closer to the "wuss" category.

Kudos to all you folks who log long miles with no forward protection! :)

If the R1200R had a 6 gallon fuel tank it would sell. Many buyers settle for the R1200GS because it's the closest thing to a naked BMW that has a decent sized fuel tank. Sadly, BMW no longer wants to build sport touring machines that are only popular in the U.S. Regardless of the BMW claims, the K1300GT and R1200RT are not sport touring bikes. Bring out a naked R1200R with a big tank and a R1200RS with two full size saddle bags and a lot of folks in the U.S. will flock to buy new bikes. Just my opinion as a 2-up sport touring rider.

Riding Like the Wind (first ride of 2010 was today)...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS (133K+)

Rode my R60/6 from Detroit to San Francisco. No fairing. Just bungied a rolled up sleeping bag to the tank, put my chest on that, feet on passenger pegs, and chin ended up just above speedometer. Very comfortable, and much like superman flying along. Wonderful!

Yep, I love my 'R. It is my 5th BMW twin. In 40 years of riding, the 'R is the best machine I have ever owned.

At the moment there's really no evidence that the R1200R will be discontinued.

Also, there's plenty still in the NJ warehouse.

BMW does seem to be keeping a sharper eye on model inventory and can decide more quickly not to make a run of a particular model based on sales and not just make a large run and hope to sell them all.

Manufacturers no longer want to be stuck with excess inventory to later have to unload them. They would rather keep it low so the all models can sell at a premium.

Seems the Roadster goes into hibernation mode every few years.
There was a gap between the 2000 1100 R when the 2002 1150 R came out ,and again between 2004's twin spark 1150 before coming out as the 2007 model 1200R. They seem to work out the bugs in the GS & RT versions of a new powerplant before the Roadster is released.
It does sell well in some markets, it is the closest appearance to the Airhead R tradition( even though some Airheads think not!:fight) and I just don't see that leaving the line up.

We have a 95 & an '02...get to ride a 1200R regularly as one is in the extended family as well. Great nekkid' bike. The sky is not falling !

If the R1200R had a 6 gallon fuel tank it would sell. Many buyers settle for the R1200GS because it's the closest thing to a naked BMW that has a decent sized fuel tank.
It's awfully close.. I pretty regularly put 5.5 gallons in, and once or twice have put 5.7 gallons in. Driven conservatively - it will do 50MPG, giving over a 300 mile tank range.
CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS (133K+)

At the moment there's really no evidence that the R1200R will be discontinued.

Also, there's plenty still in the NJ warehouse.
I'm not sure about "plenty" - but then I haven't seen the warehouse so mebbe there are.. but most dealers I know swap with each other to get the bike they need when a sale comes in. Our friendly local dealer commented to me that for a few months the R12R was his best seller - outselling even the GS. Of course he had several in stock, which makes it lots more likely you're going to sell one. It's hard to sell what people can't see/ride.
BMW does seem to be keeping a sharper eye on model inventory and can decide more quickly not to make a run of a particular model based on sales and not just make a large run and hope to sell them all.

Manufacturers no longer want to be stuck with excess inventory to later have to unload them. They would rather keep it low so the all models can sell at a premium.
Certainly the ST taught BMW that lesson - at one point there was an employee purchase plan at silly cheap prices for the ST just to clear out the ones in the warehouse.

There is a very active R12R community that has formed on another forum.. http://r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=20 - it's active, very friendly (first name basis) and populated by a bunch of people who think they have the best bike BMW makes (they do actually.. :) )

I think BMWs problem selling the R12R are several:

1. Pricing - optioned with the same basic options as any RT comes with - out the door price is too close to an RT or GS (ABS, centerstand, OBC, bags, sport windshield - about $15k..)

2. Pricing - somehow I suspect the dealer markup on the R12R isn't as high as other models - at least if the dealer is discounting it at all to get the price down to where it really should be. I suspect because of this - many dealers don't bother getting one to put on the floor. Can't sell what you don't have.

3. Lack of exposure - unless I missed it - the R12R was absent at the BMW NYC moto show booth this year. I know it was absent from the demo ride bikes at the MOA national (I looked several times..)

4. Lack of exposure - I haven't seen it in any bike to bike shootouts in the popular moto rags for several years now. It trounced the competition when it first came out in shootouts.. BMW should be pushing demo bikes on the magazines to try to lure the Ducati, Guzzi and Triumph lookers into the BMW showroom.

At the MOA national - in the Vintage barn, I was struck by HOW close in appearance the R1200R is to the very first BMW twin made. Right down to the size of the pinstripes on mine - the heritage is really obvious. It's pretty much an iconic bike to a lot of people who don't own BMWs but like them, and it would be a shame for BMW to discontinue it.

I really expect it may take a 1 year hiatus, then reappear with the new camhead engine in it.. meanwhile I'm trying to wear mine out, it changed me from a 5-,6000 mile a year rider to a 11-12,000 mile a year rider, and I have trouble getting off it.. it's that good.

R1200r

I got to agree. The R1200R is my pick as the best all-around Beemer - scarcely available. It's a great around town jammer and nimble, sure-footed sport tourer in the twisties with excellent comfort over the long haul. Since riding my buddies R12R on a long outing I've been looking for a deal on a low mileage pre-owned unit. Without success, I'm purchasing a Duc Sport 1000 Biposto as my back to basics classic ride -- a compliment to my 2008 K1200S. If, indeed, BMW Motorrad is contemplating the future release of a R12R with the overhead cam head, ala the new GS/As I'll be the first in line to buy one. If BMW discontinues the R1200R I regret to say that I have probably purchased my last Beemer. I trust Motorrad monitors this forum for insight into what the loyal want.

Pete Peterson :thumb

3. Lack of exposure - unless I missed it - the R12R was absent at the BMW NYC moto show booth this year. I know it was absent from the demo ride bikes at the MOA national (I looked several times..)

I really expect it may take a 1 year hiatus, then reappear with the new camhead engine in it.. meanwhile I'm trying to wear mine out, it changed me from a 5-,6000 mile a year rider to a 11-12,000 mile a year rider, and I have trouble getting off it.. it's that good.
You're correct, Don. I was at that booth for a while (getting photos for the mag) and the R12R was absent (most likely to promote the three staples featuring the new camhead: GS, GSA, RT). (oops... wrong, tessler! Bubba Z corrects me below!)

I'm seriously considering making the R12R my next bike (as early as this Spring). :thumb

Last edited:
You're correct, Don. I was at that booth for a while (getting photos for the mag) and the R12R was absent (most likely to promote the three staples featuring the new camhead: GS, GSA, RT).

I'm seriously considering making the R12R my next bike (as early as this Spring). :thumb

really?

there were 2 there friday afternoon, a lowered white one and a normal height black one with bags, i spent some times sitting on the normal one as the lowered one would have probably caused a kink in my knee.:)

We now have both an R12RT and an R12R in the household. Have not had the R on the road yet since we took delivery in December, but I am impressed with it. I particularly like how easy it is to work on. The R is my wife's bike and we spent the winter setting it up for her. Lots of add-ons and they were all easy to install; I can see me getting a roadster when time comes to replace the RT, but I do love my RT. As others have said, one issue with the R is the cost after adding farkles; it can make the cost near to that of an RT. We have close to $3k in additional stuff on the bike. The fact that we bought a 08 model that was still on the showroom floor for about 15% off and with free luggage is what sold us on the bike.

really?

there were 2 there friday afternoon, a lowered white one and a normal height black one with bags, i spent some times sitting on the normal one as the lowered one would have probably caused a kink in my knee.:)
Oops! My bad and you're totally correct. Lol. Joergen even took a picture of them! (and I was standing right next to him when he shot this... but then we all went to the big gig and drank sangria... my excuse) :hungover

Attachments

• BMW_pano1.jpg
    BMW_pano1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 242
the oilhead roadster has always been

under-apprecited in my book. :love

My wife had an R1100R and now has an R1150R (granted with a sidecar attached), but both are wonderful bikes! Easy to work, corner like crazy, are easy to ride and all around excellent machines.

But if BMW is pricing them that high, then they obviously don't care about selling them. :violin

I agree the R1200R is unappreciated by both BMW Riders but not by BMW Motorrad.

RT riders are more than willing to ruffle the feathers of the Roadster riders so back at you. In another thread a RT owner claimed the RT a ÔÇÿvastly superior bikeÔÇÖ; at what?
The RT and most other bikes in the BMW line have vastly superior feature lists but live with them day to day year round and the Roadster is a much friendlier bike. Obviously YMMV.

Range:
Don is correct. The tank capacity is close to what Chas suggests and if you keep your wrist out of it the bike is capable of 50mpg. My R1150R fully loaded for a month long tour has given me 49mpg when sipping real gas. Ethanol blends nock the mileage down for the R_R but is egalitarian doing the same for the RT rider. However; my mileage is no where near that good day to day. The bike is just too much fun to keep the wrist out of the equation.

Shootouts:
I havenÔÇÖt seen it show up in magazine shootouts on either side of the pond. The bike would do well in all the categories these type of articles look at but I doubt it would win a segment. Price would kill it when the article ended. The trouble with that is the price of entry into this bike may be higher than others but living with it is worth the fee.

Inventory:
This rumor strikes me as having much more to do with BMWÔÇÖs and BMW dealerÔÇÖs need to manage inventory than any real threat of the demise of the Roadster. First, unsold inventory is an ongoing expense. In any market you work to contain expenses it is even more of a challenge in a motorcycle market that is down. Secondly, again I agree with Don and believe that BMW will be announcing and bringing out a camhead R in the near future. Given that both groups need to sell existing inventory in anticipation of that.

I am another happy customer. After 21 years on my K75, I wanted a similar bike; light weight, shaft drive, easy to work on, easy to ride and no tupperware. I had never ridden an R-bike before I went on a demo-ride, but I came back sold. With the low CG and high bars, the thing rides like a 600cc dirt bike, but with lots more power. As for insurance, even my agent was surprised how reasonable it was, under $600 a year for full coverage.

BMW did have one at the Long Beach show in December, but outside of a dealer show room, I have only ever seen one other R12R here in So Cal (and I see a LOT of bikes). He turned out to be a fellow member of R1200R.org.

Scott

Back