• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping cookware

letsridemc

R1200GS
OK...read all kind of reviews and now looking for suggestions on most portable and "functional" cooking gear that is lite weight and packable.

Jetboil is the easiest, but all you can do is boil water or cook stew/soup in the one pot system. You must decide how much and how often you want to cook. Check out the catalogs for the various cook kits and stoves. I prefer the MSR Whisperlite International, it is a multi-fuel stove and very rugged. It runs well on pump gas--just carry a small syphon or fill it when you refuel.

cookware

I love my jetboil. I purchased the group model. I've had others but this is truly easy to use, always lights quickly, everything including the fuel packs in the pan. Great stove!

I use a primus classic. It seems pretty indestructabla and it packs small, about the size of a deck of cards and will fit inside a small cookset. It will burn any fuel canister available, (Primus,Jetboil,MSR) all readily available and small enough to pack anywhere, and boil a quart of water in about three minutes. I guess you have to decide for what,where, and how you will use your stove. If you're going out in the middle of nowhere you might want to use a multi fuel ( white gas or unleaded ) like a Coleman442. If you are just boiling water for coffee or a dehydrated meal a Primus, MSR or Jetboil would work fine. I didn't want to deal with siphoning fuel or installing quick disconnects, and also I didn't need the worry of fuel spills and odors in my packed gear. Here in the Northeast there is always somewhere to get a fresh gas cannister if I run out, but with a spare or two that would be very unlikely. (P.S. there are many threads about gear on motocampers.com, REI, or backcountry all with reviews and ratings of gear.)

Bob
'04 K1200GT

I have a Primus ETA Express which is very similar to the JetBoil in concept. Its less expensive and uses the larger standard size cylinders which are easier to find. It all packs up together like the Jetboil too.

I have a Gaz/Bleuet 470HP stove and lantern (the fuel cartridge fits both.) Fuel cartridges are valved so they are removable, cheap and easily available at REI. I chose this because I usually cook when the sun is rising or setting, then swap the cartridge over to the (VERY bright) lantern. An added bonus is the lantern's top part serves double duty as a hotplate for heating up a pot of water or mug - takes forever to get to a boil using the lantern but works exceedingly well for getting a cup of coffee nice and hot. It is a bit bulkier than a jetboil and mini-LED lantern but I have grown attached to it :) Only downside is that Coleman bought Gaz a few years back and they are not easy to find.

As for cookware, I use a stainless three piece stacking set (something like this) - it is about the size of a DVD and 3" high when packed, works well and when stacked the inner part holds matches, instant coffee, etc.

Here's what I use. My requirements were multipurpose: Backpacking, camping, and motorcycling.

Cookware
GSI Hard Anodized Cook Set (I use an older version - this is the newer version)
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?s=6&p=50206&
- Easy to clean
- These worked so well I bought a Hard Anodized cookware set for home:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C

Stove
Brunton Optimus Nova (older version):
http://store.orsdirect.com/wod-brunton-optimus-nova-multifuel-expedition-stove-071806.html

...is now the Brunton Vapor AF:
http://www.rei.com/product/761901

The jetboil look pretty compact and cool, though. If I didn't already own, I'd be giving that a serious look, since it's an integrated fuel/stove/pan unit that may ultimately be more compact.

Sidebar: I make awesome camp site omelets! ;o)

# 2 For Trangia

Trangia alcohol stove, pot and fry pan.
No valves, etc. Can boil or slow cook.
Buy fuel at hardware, drug or liqueur store.

I use the Trangia 27 Stove which includes 2 pots, 1 fry pan, 1 stove/burner, 1 tea kettle, pot handle, and fuel. All this nests together into a pack approximately 7 ÔÇ£ in diameter and 5 ÔÇ£ tall. It uses denatured alcohol as a fuel which can be purchased at any hardware store, WallyWorld, or any place that sells paint. You can also use a product called Heet which is a fuel system drying agent available at most auto supply stores. One really nice thing about alcohol fuel is that if you spill some it will evaporate quickly and leaves no odor. The Trangia is available at many of the on-line backpacking suppliers. Also available on E-Bay.

Check out this link for more info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DJprBU7Cbs

:thumb for the Trangia. My favorite is the Trangia 27-6 UL which uses the hard anodized pots and fry pan and an alloy (lighter) windscreen and kettle. The various versions are described here [trangia.se].

I also use a clikstand with a second trangia burner for those times I want to have two things cooking at once.

Primus

I have an old Primus stove that will work on any fuel and packs up small. I use a titanium (super light) mess kit from MSR. Don

Mike:

My only suggestion for you would be this: a lot of this stuff is designed for backpackers, where a primary issue is keeping the weight down. The manufacturers are literally looking at paring off every ounce. For the motorcyclist, weight is less of an issue, so you can look for the set that works best for you, regardless of what it weighs. The main features you would be looking for would be compactness, and functionality.

There is a ton of new stuff out there now, and if I was in the U.S. I would just go to my nearest REI or other outfitter, and get their advice.

I actually still use my boy scout cook kit! It is practically indestructible and for a short trip it is really perfect. Pretty funny but it works!

Bob:eat

When it's just me I use just the jetboil and I eat out of that and make my coffee in it too. For two up I used an old MSR cookset with some origami plates.
I saw this at EMS last night and I am going to get this for two up traveling.
msr_quick2_system.jpg

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3662312&cp=3677338.3737364.3693343

It has pretty much everything you need. I will still use my jetboil for my stove.

I don't do any cooking when I'm bike touring, but for backpacking I have two different stoves. For long hikes, where pack weight is critical, I use one of those spider type, super light, MSR (Mountain Safety Research) stoves. For weekend hikes, I use a heavyish Coleman Peak One. It simmers really well, and is the best stove I've ever used.

But I understand the newer MSR's simmer well.

I've been using an old multi-fuel MSR (G/K) for about 30 years. No problems, easy to get fuel, easy to start, burns very hot, and very stable. I just leave the pump/valve assembly in the Sigg fuel bottle all the time and have never had an issue with fuel leaking or spilling. Best investment I've ever made. For pots, I just have a folding non-stick frying pan and a non-stick aluminum 3 quart sauce pan with a lid from the local K-Mart (handle removed for easier packing).

The only problem with the MSR is the lack of a good "simmer". For this, I have a metal disk that is placed under the pan to help distribute the heat to avoid hot spots.

same here with not carrying cook ware or dinner. Make a run while setting up a spot for the evening or ronald's dollar menu. I do treat myself every once in a while. Bagels have proved to be good and don't get squished.

Back