• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Notice of theft, NW

I have a Langlitz cowhide jacket and pants built for me in 1981. Ross was a stickler for quality and detailing. I would argue that Langlitz gear is the best in the world. I would have preferred goat leather, but at the time they explained that they couldn't get goatskin that was up to their standards, because the best had been coming from Iran, and the doors had just been slammed.

I don't recall exactly what I paid for my leathers, but I'm thinking in the ball park of $1,000 in 1981. The last time I stopped by, prices were up almost double.

The shop is small, and some time ago they made a decision to keep it small. They build (as I recall) a maximum of 800 garments a year. If you think you want one custom made, you go and get measured, in the position you would normally be on your type of machine. Then you wait in line. A year or two later, the phone will ring. They are ready to build your garment. Are you still the same size? Want any details changed?

Within a week, your garment will be ready for pick-up or shipping.

And, if you're just in too much of a hurry to wait a year or two, feel free to go somewhere else.

Somewhere on the walls I recall reading an old newspaper article describing an incident in Paris. A rider had taken his female companion to a famous night club, but they found a waiting line stretching around the block. To make sure this was really the line to get in, they walked up to the entrance. The doorman explained that yes, it would be hours before they could get in. Then he suddenly noticed the rider's jacket. "Say, isn't that a Langlitz you're wearing? "Yes." "Well, we can't have a Langlitz man waiting in line. You can come right in."

I'm not surprised that riders in mid or right America won't know about Langlitz leathers. But Langlitz is well known in the Northwest. I've had the jacket rebuilt once. Still fits and works like new--29 years later.

pmdave

Attachments

• Dave with Spyder 03 sm.jpg
    Dave with Spyder 03 sm.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 194
am I missing something here??? is this a expensive jacket? I've never heard of it... would only a Motorcyclist wear one?

A few people wear them cause they think they are stylish. Neil Young once outfitted his whole band for a tour. Dice Clay wore one on stage and started a mini-craze back in the 90's. Lots of celeb's and wannabees got them.

But the vast majority are used by biker's who actual log lots of miles. That is the focused market.

Last edited:
Ok, now you've jogged my memory. I now remember seeing adds for Langlitz Leathers in Motorcycle Magazines. Dang, they have been in business a long time...

Tim,

Is there anything on the exterior that ould identify this jacket from the knockoffs (it seems like a heavily copied style), or anything that would help identify this particular jacket, maybe a PLSO or CLSA pin?

Tim,

Is there anything on the exterior that would identify this jacket from the knockoffs (it seems like a heavily copied style), or anything that would help identify this particular jacket, maybe a PLSO or CLSA pin?

As described in the original post, dark brown, not black, and the exterior pockets have light brown trim along the zippers. Big belt loops with brass snaps around the waste. Man's medium to small. Custom tailored for me and I'm a 39L. No patches or pins or anything like that ever on it while I had it.

By the way, Evan. Didn't know you were BMWMOA. What model do you ride? Don't suppose you are planning to be at the big rally this July in Redmond, OR?? If you are, bring your calibrated boots and you can help me lay out the roads through the camping areas. It will be a compass and pace job, very high 4th order closures.

As described in the original post, dark brown, not black, and the exterior pockets have light brown trim along the zippers. Big belt loops with brass snaps around the waste. Man's medium to small. Custom tailored for me and I'm a 39L. No patches or pins or anything like that ever on it while I had it.

By the way, Evan. Didn't know you were BMWMOA. What model do you ride? Don't suppose you are planning to be at the big rally this July in Redmond, OR?? If you are, bring your calibrated boots and you can help me lay out the roads through the camping areas. It will be a compass and pace job, very high 4th order closures.

High 4th Order?! Heck, I can pace that good! I don't know yet if I will be there. If I go to a rally this year, I'll only be able to make time for one, and I'm trying to decide whether that will be the one in Mariposa (3 hr ride) or the one in Redmond (13 +/- hr ride). Whichever one I go to, I'll likely be bringing my son (8 y.o.), so Mariposa is looking a little more likely at this point.

I joined MOA about a year and a half ago and ride an '02 RT.

When did you move to Portland? Is there work there?

High 4th Order?! Heck, I can pace that good! I don't know yet if I will be there. If I go to a rally this year, I'll only be able to make time for one, and I'm trying to decide whether that will be the one in Mariposa (3 hr ride) or the one in Redmond (13 +/- hr ride). Whichever one I go to, I'll likely be bringing my son (8 y.o.), so Mariposa is looking a little more likely at this point.

I joined MOA about a year and a half ago and ride an '02 RT.

When did you move to Portland? Is there work there?

Moved back here about 3 years ago. I saw a local ad for a survey tech last week. First I've seen of anything survey since a few last year. It is just as dead as the Carter years were.

Moved back here about 3 years ago. I saw a local ad for a survey tech last week. First I've seen of anything survey since a few last year. It is just as dead as the Carter years were.

Man, that opens it up for political comment, but I'll refrain.

Same here as to the dearth or work. I've all but closed up shop. One RS in the works. I saw the writing on the wall and went to work for State Lands. No field work (I miss that), but the projects are (mostly) interesting and the pay is steady, so no real complaints.

Hope to see you at an event sometime. And I hope that jacket finds its way back to you. Take care.

Saw some scuttle on PNWRiders, Was that your jacket? Was it returned?

I am expecting notice today that the authorities have recovered the jacket. A Seargent with Wasco Co. has all info and said he would go to the shop today to seize the stolen goods. I will post here once that is confirmed. Then again when it is in my hands once again.

Hope it is yours and you do get it back in good shape. Sweet Justice!

It is possatively confirmed as mine. My name is typed in the pocket linging. I am however getting a runaround by the police. Will post recovery when that occurs. One of the sleeves now has an exhaust burn. I will have to see how bad it is and perhaps what Langlitz can do about it.

Congrats on the recovery - to be honest I didn't think you would ever get it back :)

Stay on that matter with the police, Tim. My wife once had a stolen bike recovered by the Santa Barbara police only to be told that she couldn't have it back until after the trial as it was considered evidence.

By the time she got the OK to take it back several months later, it had been left in some outdoor portion of their impound lot and was rusted to a point that repair would have been nearly as expensive as getting a new bike.

Just an update. Spoke FTF with the Hillsboro officer on Sat morning, Justin. He said he was in touch with Wasco Co. dispatch and a Sergent there would go to the shop last Sat to get the jacket. Later that afternoon Justin called and said he had talked with the perp and suggested I pay her ransom. WTF, I emailed him back and said no way, arrest her and take possession. Also contacted The Dalles police and gave them all the info. Several emails since. No responce from either the Hillsboro or The Dalles police. They are just sitting on their hands and not communicating. Who knows if I will ever see the jacket again. The perp has now had a week and a half to sell it and counting.

Reward for anyone near The Dalles who will go and get it for me.

Update: The jacket is now in possession of police. Yes, my name is confirmed on the inside pocket lining. It is absolutely confirmed as mine. I was told 30 days, then it will be returned. No further details from police. Don't know if the possessor was arrested. Don't know if they got from her any info as to who she got it from.

Last edited:
My apologies for not finalizing this thread.

The jacket was returned to me. There were no repercusions for the lady who knew it was stolen and refused to return it. I cruised by the shop address after that and guess what, closed.

Current cost of replacement is north of $1500 now. Mine is in fine condition still after 35 years and some 100k miles. About $40 per year and still going strong. Beats the hell out of pizz cured leather from Pakistan.

Congratulations, and now you have a great story to tell about your jacket, at MOA rallies. :thumb

And after reading your post #5, I'll have to be more careful where I leave my jacket when I'm trying on stuff, particularly since that's where I carry my wallet.

Back