• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gerbing Permanent Controller Install DIY

Semper_Fi

Honey Badger
The articles, posts and comments in this tech section are posted by individual members and reflect their personal thoughts and experiences with repairing, maintaining, and generally working on motorcycles. This information may require specific knowledge and skills, may or may not be correct or current to model.

The authors of information found here and the BMW MOA take no responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of any information (including procedures, techniques, parts numbers, torque values, tool usage, etc.), or further for any damage of any kind or injuries incurred or caused by anyone following the instructions or information found here.

It is the duty of the individual to either assume the liability himself for responsibly using the information found here, or to take the bike or accessory to a Dealer or other qualified professional service.

Lastly, please ensure you dispose of your used chemicals, oils and fuels in an environmentally responsible manner. Most Auto Parts stores and service stations will accept used oil and lubricants, tires and batteries, please check for your local availability.

This article, text and photos are Copyright of the individual authors and the BMW MOA, any copying or redistributing is permitted only by prior written authorization.

This DIY covers installing a Gerbing Permanent Controller on a KGT1300.

Please note that the way I mounted the controller requires drilling of the side panel.

It is a very straight foward connection process with or without a fuse panel.

The connection process shown installs the controller to the Centech fuse panel. Note that the Gerbing's product provides a fused power connection.

If you do not have a fuse panel you can still do this install, just connect the product directly to the battery terminals and you will not get any dash warnings.

Last edited:
Everything you need to install is provided by Gerbing with good instructions that are easy to follow

Attachments

• 2 - Box Contents.jpg
    2 - Box Contents.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Preparation

I removed the top and side plastic to have access to the work area.

Please reference this link to remove the plastic

The tools for this job were:

• Small screw driver
  • Heat Shrink
  • Heat Gun
  • Electrical Crimp Type connectors
  • Wire wrap (optional)
  • Double sided tape (industrial grade)
  • Drill Bits
  • Electric Drill
  • Masking Tape
  • Caliper and ruler

Last edited:
Mounting location for the Main Controller

Locate the controller under the platform supporting the ABS Unit - Clutch side

Attachments

• 3 - Mount Location View 1.jpg
    3 - Mount Location View 1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Rear View of pre-mount position showing how the wires are being routed.

The ones going up (green arrow) are the power wires which will be connected to the battery; the other (left) are the wires which go to the electric gear.

The thin wire sticking out at the 9 o'clock postion (yellow arrow) is the wire which will connect to the on/off switch.

Attachments

• 4 - Mount Location View 2.jpg
    4 - Mount Location View 2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Now that the cables are roughly fit - it is time to start mounting the main module.

Here is the industrial strength double sided tape I used

Attachments

• 7 - Mounting tape.jpg
    7 - Mounting tape.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 313
Cut off a piece approximately the size of the bottom of the module

Attachments

• 8 - Mounting tape size.jpg
    8 - Mounting tape size.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 309
Before you apply the tape make sure you clean the contact areas with alcohol so that there is a good adhesion of the tape.

When dry apply the tape.

Attachments

• 9 - Mounting tape mounted.jpg
    9 - Mounting tape mounted.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Mount Module - yellow arrow showing location selected

Attachments

• 10  - Mounting tape mounted 2.jpg
    10 - Mounting tape mounted 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
After mounting the module there is some wire management to be done prior to hard wiring

Attachments

• 6A - Mount Location View 5.jpg
    6A - Mount Location View 5.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 308
Securing the power side:

The photo illustrates tying off the power cable to some wiring I'd added to the bike earlier. If you're working on a stock bike, I'd suggest securing it to the brake lines - with not-too-tight tie-wraps

Attachments

• 12  - wire routing 2.jpg
    12 - wire routing 2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
NOTE - as I already had a power connection I plan to splice into it

Connecting the power

Please note that by cutting into the original harness you will void the Controller warranty

For a stock install you have 2 options:
  1. If you do not have a fuse panel of any kind follow the manufacturer's instructions to connect directly to the battery
  2. If you have a fuse panel connect to it at the appropriate current range (fuse), remember this device already comes fused with 15A fuse

Attachments

• 14  - wire routing 4.jpg
    14 - wire routing 4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Once the power line has been routed I connected the orignal cable from the Centech to the new wire.

Part of the process includes cutting out the newly supplied in-line fuse (as I will be utilizing the previous contact point on the Centech panel (15A))

Shop Tip 1 - add a small piece of shrink tube to identify the power side of the wire.

Shop Tip 2 - pre-positioned a piece of shrink tube before crimping the ends together

Attachments

• 15  - Power 1.jpg
    15 - Power 1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
The wires crimped - now to shrink over to provide some weather protection.

Attachments

• 16  - Power 2.jpg
    16 - Power 2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 166
Back