• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Comparison of RT to GT

PPARKER1024

I currently have an 04 RT. I really love the bike but I also love the newer K12GT lines and performance. Any advise as to the transition to the GT from the RT.

The GT seems to have the rider leaning a bit more forward. Complaints, remarks?

And how is passenger comfort?

I'll miss my speakers on my RT as I do not wear a full face helmet.

I currently have an 04 RT. I really love the bike but I also love the newer K12GT lines and performance. Any advise as to the transition to the GT from the RT.

*******Yes, you want to be careful during the transition period to observe the feature that the wedge GTs have called "performance".

*********Handlebars are adjustable to suit, there are also adjustment spacers available which perform similar to "bar backs" which will get you more upright, but then you might need a taller windshield.

********Wife says it is fine for her, I did install a backrest though.

********Wear a full face helmet, dah!!!

RE: Wear a full face helmet.... Dah...

I do appreciate the comments - all but the last one - and the Dah...

Apparently you don't know what hot and humid is considering you don't live in Florida.

My wife took a spill on the track at 60 mph, hitting the pavement so hard with the front of her helmet she broke the chinbar on her Arai full-face completely in half. Other than a little bruising (she looked like a racoon for a few days... :) ), no problems. I would like to suggest that heat and humidity inside a full face helmet are better than grinding your face off while meeting Mr. Pavement...but then again, some people may actually look forward to facial reconstruction...to each their own.

And just for the record, I do live in Florida and won't ride without a full-face helmet.

I've ridden in 106F (but not in Florida) and had no complaints about wearing a full face helmet. I wouldn't care what the temps were because you never know when you might do a face plant. However, each to his/her own.

I went from an RT to a GT - transition took about a 1/4 mile!

The bike was a perfect fit (for me) - adjustable handlebars and seat

I have an intercom system mounted on the bike which has the speakers in the helment so can't speak to that either

Static balance is very good, transition balance is excellent.

Power - leaves me laughing every time I crank the throttle

Weather protection comparable to RT - imo

Pillion comfort - unknown - ride solo.

If you get a chance test ride one and see - bring your wallet as you will probably end up buying !

Like it never gets hot or HUMID in Wisconsin. And if you think it pales in comparison to FLA, they DO let us off the leash in WI on occasion, I did ride through Death Valley which was 113 in the shade (not that there was any shade) with a BLACK full faced helmet AND a leather jacket on and did just fine!
Gilly

Like it never gets hot or HUMID in Wisconsin. And if you think it pales in comparison to FLA, they DO let us off the leash in WI on occasion, I did ride through Death Valley which was 113 in the shade (not that there was any shade) with a BLACK full faced helmet AND a leather jacket on and did just fine!
Gilly

Easy now you started the ball rollin with the remark about the helmet....dah:fight

OP just asked a simple question, no need to get snarky:love

Well, no, he sort of implied that the only place on the planet that is hot and humid is Florida and these conditions never exist in Wisconsin and since I am from Wisconsin well DAH I have no idea what hot and humid is.
Gilly

Ahhh, sure.
I'm sure you can find someplace on the fairing of the GT to mount up some speakers.
With the windshield up, under most conditions you should be able to hear them just fine, although you may need a larger screen, those are available from the usual sources, Cee Baileys, et al.
As long as you stick with that 1/2 or 3/4 helmet, you should still be able to imitate the Electraglide and Goldwing pilots on your new GT just fine.

Gilly

Last edited:
I went from an RT to a GT - transition took about a 1/4 mile!

Power - leaves me laughing every time I crank the throttle

Hilarious and true!

Reminds me of a story: We had an '04 RT for 2 years (my first street bike). The SO rode with me on some long trips, so she was comfortable on the back and knew the RT really well.

We were apparel shopping at the dealer one day and I talked her into taking the demo KGT out for a spin. Having ridden it before, I knew what to expect, and I knew she had no idea what she was getting in to. Once we got some open road ahead of us and felt like she was settled in, I cracked open the throttle: Surprise! Stopping at the next intersection, I could hear her laughing out loud - cackling, even - inside her helmet. It was hilarious!

It took me almost another year to 'bite the bullet' & move to a KGT. She likes it, but won't ride pillion without a back rest. :brow

- - -

I'm pretty sure the KGT has a longer wheelbase, but it feels like it corners better. Maybe it has a lower center of gravity. The RT always felt high and "flickable" while the GT "hunkers down" and "settles in." It definitely likes to lean, though it is hard for me to drag pegs on either bike. Maybe I'm not riding hard enough!

I'm 6'4" and am "torso tall" - about a 32" inseam. Initially my knees felt a little cramped on the KGT compared to the RT, but I got used to it. I've taken it on several long trips with no cramping issues.

The KGT has a slightly forward riding position, but it's not enough to put strain on the elbows or wrists. It's barely noticeable imo.

No complaints about weather protection, wind noise, or the wind screen, which was the first thing to be replaced on the '04 RT. Come to think of it, my only mods to the KGT have been the addition of a fuse block and a GPS mount.

The K power is really unbelievable. I feel like I'm misbehaving just thinking about riding it. It's a manageable power, too: It responds well to short-shifting, which keeps it in the low-RPM, "riding in a luxury car" range where the bike can be a real kitten. I've never felt like it was getting away from me, but maybe that's because I'm more experienced now than I was on the RT and I definitely keep "respect the power" on the tip of my mind most times. I agree with Semper_Fi: It "leaves me laughing every time I crank the throttle."

Otherwise the bikes are really similar.

I'm really glad I made the switch. I was maintenance-obsessed on the RT, riding around fretting about overheating, stretching throttle body cables, throttle body syncs, and surging. Aside from an occasional lean 'blip' on the KGT (which I think they've solved on the 1300's), I'm very very happy with the bike.

Happy riding!

Passenger comfort:

The SO says she has more room on the KGT and that it's more comfortable. Her legs aren't cramped (more legroom).

There are "hold on" handles on either side of the seat that don't exist on the '04 RT (there are "handles" behind the seat under the top case on the RT, but they aren't as accessible or nice).

The pillion does ride higher on the KGT, so it may be a little more windy (she has never mentioned it).

The pillion has better forward vision and can see the instrument cluster, including the speedo, which could be good or bad depending on the persons involved... *wink*

...and the KGT has heated seats! I've never used them, but she has and really likes them.

I'm pretty sure the KGT has a longer wheelbase, but it feels like it corners better. Maybe it has a lower center of gravity. The RT always felt high and "flickable" while the GT "hunkers down" and "settles in." It definitely likes to lean, though it is hard for me to drag pegs on either bike. Maybe I'm not riding hard enough!

Nice write up - definately agree on flickable and "hunkers down and settles in"

There is a a half mile long sweeper that if traffic allows I do just that - nothing like railing a corner at 6000 RPM and the bike is asking for more!!!!

*******Yes, you want to be careful during the transition period to observe the feature that the wedge GTs have called "performance"

I am curious, have we ever seen a real comparison done on a closed course, same rider, to see what the difference in road "performance" actually is? I think what we might find is that the RT may outperform a GT on certain types of courses.

I have never had a situation where I felt my RT lacked "performance". There have been many situations where I have found a need to improve my skills, but until I out grow my RT and start spending a lot of time on closed courses - the performance is just fine.

I am curious, have we ever seen a real comparison done on a closed course, same rider, to see what the difference in road "performance" actually is? I think what we might find is that the RT may outperform a GT on certain types of courses.

I think that would be a great bet to see, but from the seat of the pants feel of flogging my wife's bike this weekend and then doing the same thing on my GT, i don't see it.

The other thing it is a definate apples to oranges comparison, 4 cylimder water cooled vs twin air/oil cooled, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway would be something great to see. :lurk

When I bought my '07 RT I really wanted the 1200GT at the time.

Took a few test rides and decided it wasn't a good fit for long distance. The SO was not as comfortable either so we went with the RT.

Test riding the '10 1300GT there was a noticable difference in engine management and shifting. If it wasn't for the teething issues I would have seriously considered it. It would make an awesome solo tourer especially in warmer weather.

It handles differently than the RT. Not better or worse but more like a rocketship with handlebars with a lower center of gravity and obviously more responsive instant throttle much like a rheostat. Just find a gear and wind it up. ASC would be must on this bike, the RT, not so much.

Still in lust...

YES! Thats what we need is a comparison test!:nod

I have only had short test rides on GT's (both the 1200 and 1300), there is no doubt about the GT's power and available torque at low RPM's, but I question the thought of improved handling compared to the RT. The wheel base of the GT is longer and it weighs over 10% more than an RT. My "feel" was that the RT's center of gravity is lower. The tighter the corners the more confidence I have with the RT compared to any other bike I have ridden. When I keep my RT in its power band the thrill and performance is definitely there, I like being actively engage in the ride rather than the thought...oh, it doesn't matter what gear I'm in, I can always just twist the throttle, etc..... Horse power is not always king.

Back