• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any Aperture 3 users out there?

GRANTMACEACHERN

taller than wide
Hi,
I am trialing the Aperture 3 software and considering it as an upgrade from using iPhoto (Mac) as my image database/management software. I have found iPhoto to be remarkably fantastic as a database management tool. It is clearly oriented for the consumer level but I have found it to be useful for my needs too (much advanced amateur i.e. not making money with my photography - well, maybe a little).

So, hearing of the new Aperture 3 I thought I would give it a try. It is a big step forward from iPhoto and I am glad it retains much of the integration features with other native Mac software that you would expect.

My big complaint is how slow it is. Apple advertises this as a means to speed up your workflow. Well, I find every task causes the app to "process" and it is very time consuming and slow.

Has anyone been finding this as well? There are a lot of grumblings about this on the forums out there. At this point I can only think of two things:
a. When I imported my iPhoto library I kept the library in its original location. This was an option upon import so I assume it would not cause any slow-down as opposed to importing it fully into the Aperture library.
b. My iMac is is "only" 2 years old but some forum musing suggest you need a machine maxed out on RAM....I find that hard to believe. I can run an entire CS4 suite on my machine with no issues.

Any thoughts out there?

Hopefully you've got the 3.0.1 update. It fixes a few issues. Secondly, turn off faces. Get everything up and running to your satisfaction before turning faces on. I've found faces to be more of a pain then it is worth... but then I already use keywords to tag various people in my photos.

Finally, check your previews generation options (Previews tab in preferences). One of the available "Fit within..." sizes will have a (*) by it. Use that size. Aperture will then build previews to fit your screen. If you've selected a larger size you can slow things down. While in the Previews select a preview photo quality of about 6.

After doing all of that I find Aperture 3 useable, but still a bit slow at time. It is a memory hog. I updated my 2 year old iMac to 4 GB of ram. It helped.

Back