• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

vacation planning - Maine

Wow! Just when I was going to ask the same question....

We'll be heading over to Maine from the Gorham area toward the end of June with sights on Bar Harbor and Acadia. Black files and tourists...not sure which will be more plentiful! Then, again, we'll be adding to the tourist swarms. ;-)

Thanks for all the info!

The Forks

The area around The Forks is beautiful. Definitely "north woods" - big pine trees, hills, rivers, and not much else. The rafting is awesome, especially early season when the runoff is high. A few years ago, I hauled ass back from a 5 week camping trip to Grand Teton/Yellowstone/Sturgis so I could shower, hose off the bike, re-pack, and head to the Forks for a weekend bachelor party/camping/rafting. Go for it!

Forks, ME. We choose Northern Outdoors Resort with a camp site by the river. Has anyone ever stayed here or heard anythign about it?
I have never stayed there but I do know they have been there for many years and are well established. The area and campground is popular with the white water rafters. The ride up Rt 201 to the forks along the Kennebec river is nice.
Mark

And the west is nice, too...

It goes without saying: down east is beautiful. The roads are generally good, the scenery is superb, the seafood is amazing, and the riding is - most places - great. The on shore breeze is great on hot days, though it can be cold and foggy.

I second the Owl's Head suggestion. We were there last year for their motorcycle exhibit, and it was jaw-dropping (check their site for date and drop in if possible - it was that good). Stonington and Castine are fantastic - smaller islands with great roads and wonderful, scenic views. The Park Road in Acadia is a must-ride. Be sure to check out the rest of Mt Desert Island, too - Seal Harbor, Southwest Harbor etc are amazing, especially the houses (sorry, the "holy %$#^, that place is a single-family home?!?").

If you have time, don't miss western ME, especially around the NH border. The roads around Bridgton, Harrison, Norway, and Bethel (rt 35, 37, 93) are all superb - heavily wooded, winding between small lakes and hills. Evan's Notch (rte 113) is a slice of heaven - twisty but manageable, beautiful, with a great view of the notch at the top. Avoid 302 as much as possible - it's a big, busy thoroughfare. Bethel has great dining and hotels, as does North Conway. North of there, around Rangely Lakes, is densely wooded and all but empty, with some pretty good (though often rutted) roads.

As noted earlier, watch out for critters of all sizes. And definitely watch out for Smokey, especially on the summer weekends. You're usually fine between towns, but when you see "Entering town of _____, speed limit 25mph" - they mean it. Out of state plates are especially delicious ;->

We just returned from our trip to Maine. What an incredibly beautiful state! We toured the north woods then headed Down East and worked our way south to Boothbay Harbor. The Northern part of the state was definately our favorite. I'm amazed at how fresh and clean the air is!

I'll post a few pictures in the next few days.

I been following post as we have planned a 2 week trip in July, good info provided thanks all. We will start out north for first part then head toward and into Bar Harbor area.

Question on northern lakes: We are staying in Moosehead lake area for a few days, planning on riding up to Eagle lake. Aside from all dirt roads I understand some roads are subject to closure by private logging copanies. Has anyone any expeirence with riding in Eagle lake area or determining road closures on "logging roads" that seem to be in the way of point a and b.

thanks
Ron
GSA/09

Ron,

We rode through the area around Moosehead Lake and didn't experience any road closures. There are a lot of logging trucks on the road tho. Sometimes, that is all you will pass for miles.

The roads themselves are not always in the best condition. While there was no extreme damage, there was alot of roads that were heaved (I think that's the right term) after the winter snow and ice. Nothing serious - just not ultra smooth.

Here is a link to our pictures for those interested.

Snapfish - Maine Vacation Pics

I been following post as we have planned a 2 week trip in July, good info provided thanks all. We will start out north for first part then head toward and into Bar Harbor area.

Question on northern lakes: We are staying in Moosehead lake area for a few days, planning on riding up to Eagle lake. Aside from all dirt roads I understand some roads are subject to closure by private logging copanies. Has anyone any expeirence with riding in Eagle lake area or determining road closures on "logging roads" that seem to be in the way of point a and b.

Get a copy of Delorme's Maine Atlas and Gazetteer. It is, by far, the most comprehensive map set available. As to private logging roads, they're well-posted telling you to keep the hell off of them.

The area around Bar Harbor is crazy-congested in July and August, but if you get up and out with the sun, you have the roads to yourself for the first 4 or 5 hours of the day on MDI.

Here you go an hour after sunrise last August on Park Loop Rd. Later in the day, the right lane is all parked cars.

4730804319_5c77b3b906.jpg

Heading down east a week from today, with it being 100 degrees in DC I can't wait! I've been looking forward to this view for months now :)
tedv_islesboro_ferry.jpg

thanks! I just ordered atlas and the pics were cool!

I was hoping to take a tour to Eagle lake and back from Greenville / Moosehead lake, maybe around lake. I'll have to do more research on roads or just wing it when there. Hopefully the Atlas helps. I also have an outside chance to meet up with a friend at Baxter park, if so I'll park bike there and hope in their truck for day. I am assuming rangers will have no issue parking bike by entrance somewhere.

I am at a semi cross road, wife rides but not enough expeirence for GS type of riding which limits the dirt roads 2 up. I do go for solo rides for few hours to entuire day. My wife is a outdoors person and expert rower so she has no issue keeping busy. Maybe I'll get lucky and meet up with other GS riders there, who knows.

Thanks again all.

PS: I know the tri-stae area extreamly well and live outside NYC, litterly 10's of thousands miles rode, if local info is needed just ask.

safe riding

Ron
GSA/09

If anyone is traveling East of Ellsworth, Maine be sure to ride Route 182 between Franklin and Cherryfield. Hills, linked turns, lakes on one side and ledge outcropping on the other. One of my favorite roads in the area.

Oh, and the pavement is in such good condition that I temporarily think I am riding in some other state. Stay off route 200 heading north out of Franklin or you will be quickly reminded that you are indeed riding in the State of Maine.

Mark

Ride Maine Guide

One other resource for anyone who is planning a motorcycle vacation to Maine is the Ride Maine Guide. It breaks down what's good on a region by region basis and may be handy in finding what you need. It offers a calendar of events too, mostly Harley stuff, but worth a look anyway, The Owl's Head Transportation Museum Vintage Weekend in September is not to be missed and one of the most extensive vintage BMW Collections in the USA is at Dave Percival's in Andover Maine. http://www.ridemaine.net/ http://www.bfbrawnphotography.com/DPmotorsports/DPmotorsports.html

If you are in Maine on the first Saturday of the month, please come to our BMW Riders of Southern Maine breakfast meeting, we love guests and there's no better place to find out about riding in Maine than from the locals! Check it out at:

http://www.bmwrsm.org/

Have a safe trip in Maine! Don

Last edited:
thanks all, great info.

Last ME question, what route is recomended from bar Harbor to Mt. Washington and will plan on staying the night in MT. Washington area.

I will be taking the northern route through Averill , VT to Moosehead lake via rt16 and considering smaller roads from The forkes to Greenville. I'll review the recomended maps I ordered.

Sorry on timing, I would have enjoyed the ME Saturday breakfast.

Safe Riding

Ron
GSA/09

thanks all, great info.

Last ME question, what route is recomended from bar Harbor to Mt. Washington and will plan on staying the night in MT. Washington area.

Rte 2 is not a bad ride across Maine, especially the western part.

Rt 2 in Maine is great and Acadia is a must been there five times but the single greatest day I spent in Maine is when I was refused access on a motorcycle (because there dangerous) to Baxter State Park. The person at the gate pointed me back a mile from the gate to a little road that led to the "Golden Highway" a logging road out of Canada. Again bikes are not allowed on that road but the State Police do not patrol it so I went anyway. This road was packed with Moose, big bull Moose that walked almost right by you like they didn't care. The only concern were the big trucks double wide and double long that did not budge for my bike at all, you just pulled over closed your eyes and hoped they did not hit you. Anyway that's my two cents on Maine. Love it alot!

{snip}...will plan on staying the night in MT. Washington area...{snip}

If you want to pamper yourself in the Mt. Washington area, I highly recommend the Attitash Grand Summit Hotel in Bartlett, NH. It's about 45 minutes south of Mt. Washington on Rt. 302.

Tell them "Theo" from MINIs On Top recommended you call!

4745218315_d3d8f0a576.jpg

4745218475_9632cb28bf.jpg

If you are looking for less pampering, I recommend N. Woodstock, NH as a place to stay near Mt. Washington.

Specifically, the Autumn Breeze motel. It's family owned, very clean, modern rooms with kitchenettes for around $75 per night. It's also only a short walk to the Woodstock Station Brew Pub/Restaurant. We've been to the brew pub on each trip through the area and stayed at the Autumn Breeze a few weeks ago.

www.autmnbreezemotel.com

Also, don't forget to stop at Fadden's General Store for maple syrup and chat up the owner, Jimmy. (Tell him the BMW couple from Delaware sent you.) The Faddens also own Peg's restaurant a few doors down and it's a great place for an early breakfast.

If you are going to Mt. Washington, don't miss Bear Notch Road which intersects with the Kancamangus Highway near Conway, NH.

While I admit it doesn't look like much on mapquest, it was an awsome ride! Nice sweeps, a few good twisties, no traffic and freshly paved!

If you are going to Mt. Washington, don't miss Bear Notch Road...{snip}

Oh YES! By all means! Had a chance to do Bear Notch 8 times last weekend. Just watch out in the last mile or so at either end. Houses and camps and kids, oh my!

Back