• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED Brake lights for 2008 K1200GT

L

Lombroso

There are multiple LED supplemental brake light kits on the market, including one from BMW, that are CAN-BUS "compatible".

Can anyone please advise me if one is better than the next, and if so, why? Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I like the P3 lights. Bigger than hyper lights and brighter I think. Very easy install and no issues what so ever with canbus. Takes maybe 5 minutes to install. Everything needed for install included plus very clear instructions. Could never get a straight answer from hyper lights and their install with canbus. Three easy taps to make from tail light, wire lights together with brains and you are done. Expensive though.

+1 on P3, but installation took longer than 5 minutes. I had to remove the left side fairing, then locate and cut the wire for the strange little indicator light in our headlight. But the kit was complete and other than that delay, instructions say you can pull out the bulb with out removing anything to get at the wire, but I couldn't find a way to do it that way.

Sorry. My install was on a GS and then an LT. I just had to figure which wire was tail vs brake. Ok ok probably took me more than 5 minutes to find my circuit tester, but once I had it out, no time at all.

Hyper-Lite now offers a larger 16 LED array similar to P3's with multiple functions available. Just added a set to one of the K12S's. CANBUS compatible.

Does the larger hyper light take all of its power from the tail light or does it also tap into the battery?

Taps into a non CANBUS source for the running lights,on the S they suggest the unused alarm plug...I used the switched green/white on the diagnostic plug.

The brake function taps the grey with black stripe at the tail light...

Better than I thought. When I talked to hyper lights they were trying to tell me to hook them to the battery or something goofy like that. That is why I paid the bit extra for P3 lights, they only hook to wires already in the light circuit and in the light housing and some how don't bother the canbus.

I had hyper lights on my R, loved them and love my P3. I think the intense brightness of the LED and the flashing really gets people's attention.

We have used both Hyper-Lites or the 3- light license frame from Run-n-lites on all our bikes...gotta say the larger 16 LED' s from Hyper and P3 are a big improvement over a already great idea.

Thank you for the input everyone. It is certainly appreciated.

Back