• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100RT Side Stand accessory

theblueeagle

'91 K100LT, '99 R1100RT
Has anyone ever heard of a factory extender for a R1100RT side stand? Somewhere I read they were an "undocumented" accessory that came on R1100RT-Ps but haven't been able to find the article again.

Thanks for the information.

Don't know about the RT-P model - did it have a taller set-up?
Anyway, how much longer do you need? Would it help to bolt a hockey puck to the end?
There are plenty of solutions - any good machine shop should be able to make an extension and weld it in. Perhaps you can even use a stand from a GS model - that would be a lucky fit though.

Has anyone ever heard of a factory extender for a R1100RT side stand? Somewhere I read they were an "undocumented" accessory that came on R1100RT-Ps but haven't been able to find the article again.

Thanks for the information.

I don't know about a side stand extender, but I have a brand new foot that slightly extends the length of the side stand, as well as giving it a bigger footprint. PM me if you are interested. :ca

I guess it isn't necessarily an extender in height I'm looking for but more of a longer tang on side to deploy it. I really like the stand on my K but with the new (to me) R1100RT it is a chore to put the side stand down without looking.

On the same note I really hate the fact the stand doesn't automatically put itself up when you pull in the clutch. That is a really useful feature I miss on this otherwise well thought out bike.

I guess it isn't necessarily an extender in height I'm looking for but more of a longer tang on side to deploy it. I really like the stand on my K but with the new (to me) R1100RT it is a chore to put the side stand down without looking.

On the same note I really hate the fact the stand doesn't automatically put itself up when you pull in the clutch. That is a really useful feature I miss on this otherwise well thought out bike.

I have a 99 RT and had the same problem as you. when I installed floorboards it got worse. I used a 3 ft screwdriver as a pry bar, and shaped the tang to where I wanted it. that tang bends pretty easy if you use enough leverage...:thumb

It did take me awhile, but eventually you will be able to put the side stand down without looking. If you should bend the tang further out from the bike, I would recommend using heat first before bending it.

Have to agree. As well, my K has self-cancelling turn signals. I do not understand why this feature was not included on the R1100. Thought that I never needed the self-cancelling feature until I bought the R. :banghead I did install, early this winter, turn signal indicators for the mirrors. Besides warning others what I am doing, I am hoping that they remind me to cancel the signals. :ca

Picture?

I don't know about a side stand extender, but I have a brand new foot that slightly extends the length of the side stand, as well as giving it a bigger footprint. PM me if you are interested. :ca
I'd be interested in seeing a picture of that if one's available. S

On my K75, I ruined the clutch cable when I pulled on the handle when the weight of the bike was still on the stand.

I'm old and forgetful.

I won't do it on my R1100RTP

JimV

Back