• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

crossing illinois

bigsur52

04 1150RS
Do you have any good suggestions for crossing IL from east to west, instead of using just the interstates? I'll be entering the state within 20 miles or so of Danville.
Thanks.

Nostalgia ride

I assume you are crossing Indiana on 36. 36 crosses Illinois just south of the old Coast to Coast road. If you want some local flavor this is it. PM me and I will explain how to pick the road up. JON

Well, actually I was thinking of crossing Indiana on SR 28. US 36 becomes interstate 72. I guess I could use US 136 cross state or connect with interstate 57 and 7. Is US 136 cross state interesting, or just a slower version of I 72?

Destination?

Where do you want to be when you pop out on the west side of Illinois?

I disgree with the NoDoz reply above. I have criss-crossed Illinois on various backroads and generally find little or no traffic, light LEO presence, scenic small towns, and interesting mom and pop motels, small town cafes, and small friendly taverns for a cold one at the end of the day. It is real farming country, filled with honest hardworking people who are friendly towards motorcyclists.
Sure beats racing the truck behemoths on the super slab!

I thought I would take a route across northern missouri or southern iowa.

In that case, I would recommend 136 across Illinois, and cross the Mississippi at Keokuk, Iowa. 136 across northern Missouri is a very pleasant ride, but if you are wanting a more northerly route, Iowa Highway 2 is also a great choice. Although I currently live in SW Missouri, I grew up in Leon, Iowa which is on Iowa Highway 2 about midway across Iowa. I think either Iowa 2 or Missouri 136 are some of the best relaxing east-west riding in the region. There are gentle curving hills and verdant farmland. As you ride across either (northern Mo or Southern Iowa) it is not difficult to envision the time that Jesse James and other post-civil war renegades rode these rolling hills (and robbed their banks-see Corydon, Iowa). Also the Mormon Trail follows roughly Highway 2 and 34 in Iowa, if you are into history.
I guarantee you wouldn't be disasppointed with either route (barring disatrous weather, deer strike, or other nasty occurence)

When you take 136 and pass through Clark County, Missouri, Don't mention my name or they might shoot you!!. Just kidding. I usually take hwy 169 at Stanberry,Missouri down to hwy 36 at St. Joe. Then on West to home.
Depending on time of day and season there is a nice roadside fruit stand in Troy, Kansas ( across the river three or four miles) that always has vine rippened tomatoes and melons in season. Always carried a salt shaker in tank bag for those rest stops at stands along the road.
Just thinking about riding back there again is driving me crazy. Doctors say it probably won't happen this year.

Jacko

When will you be doing this trip?You're welcome to stop by -if Cindylu and i are not off on a trip somewhere. Also 136 will come to a t in Havana you will turn left and at the next light if you turn left,you will see a small diner-good food and really good pie.Then that street will take you west over the river and out of town. Ed

Back