• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Touring Underwear

dwhitlock

I've seen ads for undershirts, socks and skivs purporting to wick away perspiration and resist odors better than cotton, which should make them good for motorcycle touring. Has anyone tried these? Do they live up to the hype?

I bought some shorts from LD Comfort at the rally in TN and found them very comfortable for a long day on the bike.

As above, I've heard good things about the LD comfort.

I almost always wear a compression shirt under anything year 'round when riding. I have the super thin type which are great for wicking moisture and they make a real difference on hot days. I have the waffle type for colder weather which blocks the wind and makes a great base layer. I also wear compression shorts under my gear occasionally too, and it definitely helps to prevent hot spots and monkey butt during long days in the saddle. It all can be washed out in a sink and is ready to go the next morning.

I am a big fan of the gel-padded bicycle shorts from REI, they do a great job wicking moisture away and just being very comfortable. My best luck touring with them has been to bring two or three pairs along and wash them (in the sink, they dry out fast) each night.

Another fan of bicycle riding shorts and Gold Bond powder. You have a selection of padding as well as gel, which I find hot, just me. Also some with antimicrobial fabric or chamois (I have never tried it) There are some stores such as Academy Sports and Outdoors that sell them very inexpensively ($25.00 to $30.00) for those of us that are frugal:laugh

Rod

I have several pair of the ex-officio boxers that Whitehorse Press (and others) sell. They are by far and away better than anything else I've worn. In fact, it is now my standard practice to buy a pair on each visit. When we went to Disney last August, I wore them exclusively, rinsing them out each evening and hanging them to dry while using a previously dried pair the next morning. :thumb

I bought a couple pair of TechSox from Lee Parks at the RA National last year.

My feet sweat something fearsome, but these socks really keep them dry. I'm going to buy more of them!

Cotton is definitely not good. I ride bicycles, too, and if you want more butt pad the bicycling shorts are good.

If you don't need more pad, look at Champion Duo Dry microfiber shirts and shorts from Target. They work as well as the expensive Patagonia brand sold at REI and the ilk. I use these for riding, backpacking, etc. Anything where you sweat and especially on long trips.

You can wash them in the sink as stated, then, as someone from the MOA suggested in "touring tips", you can roll them up in a towel and step on them to dry. Next AM, they are good to go. I pack 2 shirts and 3 shorts on my trips and always have a clean, dry set in the morning.

+ 3 or 4 for LDComfort shorts. SWMBO knows that when she can't think of any other event (birthday, anniversary, etc.) gift - a pair of LDComfort shorts is always appreciated. Combined with some butt-powder they make the difference of a 3 hour day vs a 6-7 hour day being tolerable.

More comments on this subject, including thoughts on the LD Comfort Dry-Line shorts, can be found on the Horizons Unlimited website -

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hu...clothing/which-ld-comfort-products-best-25570

Here is a link to the LD Comfort website -
http://www.ldcomfort.com/

At the Johnson City Rally last summer I looked at the LD Comfort dry-line shorts. As I recall the price was in the $40 - $50 range. The shorts looked quite similar to some compression shorts that I purchased at Walmart for $10. I've ridden all day using the compression shorts beneath mesh pants and been comfortable in the hot humid summer.

More on the compression shorts, available at Walmart, here -
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Starter-Men-s-Dri-Star-Compression-Shorts/11026733

LD Comfort

Powder with LD Comfort is not recommended by them. The powder will fill up the pores of the fabric and they cannot breathe as well.
Also any microfiber don not use any kind of fabric softener. They can also mess up the breathability.

Here's a quote from their website:
Can I use powders with LDComfortÔäó?
If you use powder with LDComfortÔäó undergarments you will clog the fabric, stopping the wicking process. When moisture is mixed in with the powder it will turn into a paste further clogging the fabric and becoming an abrasive substance. Our garments already contain anti microbial properties that do not wash out of the fabric. Unless you have a medical condition there is no need to use powdered aids. People who use inferior garments may recommend the use of powder but the quality and design of LDComfortÔäó surpasses the ability of any powders. Our garments are designed to help protect the skin, from the beginning all the way to the end, all on their own. Allow LDComfortÔäó undergarments to do their job without interruption and you will better appreciate their value.

YMMV

Has anyone tried these? Do they live up to the hype?

I did, finally. I've worn it for 4 days in a row between washings and it still felt great with no odor; and that was in June-July.

I bought a Performance Under Gear long sleeve shirt - loose fit with Coolmax Fresh FX material.

No regrets and I will be buying another identical shirt along with the full length bottoms.

Quality and finish is first rate and puts Under Armor to shame.

Go Synthetic

Remember, you don't have to buy the most expensive items to get good performance.

Whatever you do, stay away from cotton.

Cotton does not wick moisture away from your skin, synthetics do.

Back