• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Valves in Motion High RPM

The good news is it is in the right forum, the bad news is I need to merge with an identical posting of the same thing.

Thanks for sharuing though :though

I would love to know the story of why the engine is cut open to begin with. Looks like crash damage or something.

some guy in youtube said:
Watching those valve springs walk around the cylinder head... isn't that the definition of "valve float"?

care to opine? in my mind, the springs spinning don't signify valve float, just centrifugal forces produced by the intake/exhaust "whirl"

Valve float is when the valve leaves the follower & "floats" open, not being under the control of the follower. As for why it spins, I couldn't see the video, if it was a slow motion vid, or full motion speed, it was removed. Watch a "spintron" test of springs & valves & you will see all sorts of monkey motion going on. I think the rotating motion has more to do with how the springs are wound & the follower's motion than any spin of gasses in the cylinder. Can't confirm what is going on though, as the vid is gone...

Here is a spintron test just to see the harmonics in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NpzU4pGjc&feature=related

This one shows "severe spring rotation at float" & lots of good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_REQ1PUM0rY&feature=related

Says severe rotation caused by valve bounce...

Also, on the cut-a-way...

It was probably done just to demonstrate the engine motion. When in college, I created a couple of cut-a-ways, one was a turbocharger and a small engine. Both fully rotated & showed the workings. That one does look broken though, I used to paint the cut edges...

Double R Production Stopped.

Hi guys, last week I was told that BMW stopped the production of the new RR, due to excessive wear of the engine, now they are trying to adapt an electronic RPM limiter for the brake- in period.
Does any one knows something about this issue?

Hi guys, last week I was told that BMW stopped the production of the new RR, due to excessive wear of the engine, now they are trying to adapt an electronic RPM limiter for the brake- in period.
Does any one knows something about this issue?

First of all - Welcome to the Forum Carmareli!!

No have not heard anything - do you have links or other information to review?

Cheers :beer

Duoble R Production Stopped

Thanks for the welcome, I live most of the time here, in M?®xico City, In January I rode the Demo Double R from one of the dealers here in M?®xico, to Acapulco, I felt in love with the bike, now I feel that mi GT 1200 2007 does not have enough power !!!
So anyway after that, I started to get interested in the new duoble R, my dealer told me he had 23 people in a waiting list for the new bike, that was a month ago, I checked with the other two dealers in M?®xico City and they gave me kind of the same story, I had to wait about three months for a new bike.
Last week one of the dealers told me what I wrote in my first post, I checked with a friend of mine in the BMW Corporative Office here in M?®xico City, and he told me (off the record) that they had unusual wear in some engines due to reving them in the break-in period, and now they are designing an electronic RPM limiter for the firts thousands of kilometers (miles)
It didn??t surprise me after the problems BMW had with the camshafts in the first K-1200 engines few years ago.
I tought I was going to find some information here at MOA Forum, but looks like BMW has handle this issue in a very secret way, I'm going to try to get more info from my friend at BMW M?®xico, and I'll let you guys, know.
Best regards.
Carmareli

Back