• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuseblocks which are best?

T

Trickster

Due to a high amount of farkelization in the offseason, I now need to properly organize the wiring jungle that has been created.
Which if any is the better brand for a canbus bike(08 GT)?
Touratech,Centech,Painless,etc.?
A lot to choose from, where to purchase from and how much is fair$?

Thanks,
Rick:thumb

Rick,

I use the Centech AP1 and have been very happy with it. Simple, straight forward and does the job. No problems what so ever with the Canbus. You can swap out the blade fuses if you want to increase/decrease circuit protection depending on what's hooked up.

Check out Semper Fi's installation information at http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=43031. I mounted mine under the rear seat. I'll try and shoot a picture in the next day or so and post it up.

Good luck!

Please ride safely.

Peter

I like the Centech blocks as well. I did wire mine differently though. I like all of my electrical items to be powered up all the time, so I wired mine so all circuits work independently from the ignition switch. I have three outlets on the bike in addition to the BMW factory plug. Also have the Zumo and I ran the leads for the battery tender through the Centech also.

I have a Fuzeblock FZ1, but after a year am upgrading to the Eastern Beaver PC8. I liked the FZ1, but the limitation of 10A per circuit max just doesn't meet my needs, so it will soon be listed in the Parts marketplace.

fuzeblock.jpg

Fuzeblock Simple to install - one very complete easy to use package. :thumb

I have a Fuzeblock FZ1, but after a year am upgrading to the Eastern Beaver PC8. I liked the FZ1, but the limitation of 10A per circuit max just doesn't meet my needs, so it will soon be listed in the Parts marketplace.

Good point on that - that is why I went and have used the Centech from the begining.

Your actuall usage needs will dictate the model you want to use.

Limitation of 10 amps? What would a motorcyclist add that draws more than 10 amps?

Limitation of 10 amps? What would a motorcyclist add that draws more than 10 amps?

I looked into the amps available from the various models, and there is a finite limit that many don't consider.
As to 10 amps, I think you might get there with full Gerbings, gloves, jacket, and legs. But then you could use two circuits. One mistake often made is to use too high a fuse value. The higher the fuse rating, the more likely that you could have a meltdown instead of blow a fuse. For example, BMW used to fuse the heated grip circuit with a 10 amp fuse. And when the grips shorted (entirely possible) they would not draw 10 amps if the switch was on low...and the wiring would heat up and melt itself and more. They went to 4 amps on the later, fused, bikes.
So in my mind, 10 amps is enough considering what the fuze is there for.

I looked into the amps available from the various models, and there is a finite limit that many don't consider.
As to 10 amps, I think you might get there with full Gerbings, gloves, jacket, and legs. But then you could use two circuits. One mistake often made is to use too high a fuse value. The higher the fuse rating, the more likely that you could have a meltdown instead of blow a fuse. For example, BMW used to fuse the heated grip circuit with a 10 amp fuse. And when the grips shorted (entirely possible) they would not draw 10 amps if the switch was on low...and the wiring would heat up and melt itself and more. They went to 4 amps on the later, fused, bikes.
So in my mind, 10 amps is enough considering what the fuze is there for.

Exactly! Good explanation. With six circuits there would more fused protection than the alternator could deliver.

I have a Fuzeblock too and happy with it but like any electrical device it has it's limitations.

The built-in relay makes it handy and the available switched and unswitched circuits convenient.

Each circuit can handle 10 amps but the entire unit can only manage 30 amps max.

For low power draw requirements it works well. For higher output consider using and external relay with the device connected directly to the battery.

I have Motolights that are setup this way but are triggered with an Autoswitch connected to the Fuzeblock. The switched circuit is triggered by the rear accessory connector. When the ZFE shuts off the power the Fuzeblock relay is de-energized along with all switched circuits.

Back