• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Paint and logos

W

wabbis1

Looking for a little help, I'm painting My '98 R11GS during the off season and resealing the fuel tank. Does anyone know a good place to get BMW badges and graphics (like R1100GS etc,)? Also any advise about getting the black plastic bits looking new (like the air box) instead of the field gray it's become. would be a great help. Thanks in advance for any help. Rich

Any dealer can order new graphics. MAX BMW has a neat web site were you can go through by model and look at the micro fische and order directly from it.

Try "Back to Black" for the black plastic. It works good although I have only used it on newer black plastic. Avail at most auto parts centers.

For the black plastic parts, I've had good luck rattle can painting them with Fusion Satin Black for plastic. Just about the right 'shine' to make it permanently look like it was just Armour-All'ed.

For the black plastic parts, I've had good luck rattle can painting them with Fusion Satin Black for plastic. Just about the right 'shine' to make it permanently look like it was just Armour-All'ed.

How does it work to hide scratches on a saddlebag?

Don't know what you are using for paint but if you can paint it then install the decals/stickers and then clearcoat they look great. Then you have no edge to collect wax etc. and looks better longer.

How does it work to hide scratches on a saddlebag?

It depends. Like all paint jobs, it's 90% about preparation. The paint is pretty 'thin', so if there are deep scratches, it will make those the same color, but the scratches will still be detectable. You can sand them out, but the sanded area will be smooth and not have the same texture as the unsanded area. I didn't go this route, but I suppose you could sand the entire saddlebags smooth for a uniform texture. I thought about it, but didn't want to risk 'wrecking' my saddlebags.

My saddlebags have that 'pebbley' surface and the paint did not fill those pebbles in. I suppose with numerous coats it eventually would, but not with the 2-3 light coats I applied.

Back