Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trip on Route 66 and more…

Trip on Route 66 and more…

In April, I am shipping my bike from Florida to Las Vegas with HaulBikes. I am flying out in the beginning of May and will ride, with two other guys, to Death Valley, Kingston, Grand Canyon, Winslow, Albuquerque and then back to Florida via Little Rock. We are doing as much riding on Old Route 66 as we can do.
    Since I have never ridden out west I am looking for some tips and cautions from anyone that knows the dangers, delights, etc.
    I know what to watch for in Florida and in the PA area like alligators, greasy old possums and deer but I don't know much about out west.

I am riding a 2004 K1200GT. Tires, Battery, fluids and air filter have just been renewed. Any tips are appreciated.
    Bill M
    Fort Myers Florida
    1975 R75/5, 1978 R80/7
    1989 K100rs, 2004 K1200GT

* Rattlesnakes! Both animal and tar...
    * Drink lots of fluids...
    * Take lots of pictures

Quote Originally Posted by whm1226 View Post
    In April, I am shipping my bike from Florida to Las Vegas with HaulBikes. I am flying out in the beginning of May and will ride, with two other guys, to Death Valley, Kingston, Grand Canyon, Winslow, Albuquerque and then back to Florida via Little Rock. We are doing as much riding on Old Route 66 as we can do.
    Since I have never ridden out west I am looking for some tips and cautions from anyone that knows the dangers, delights, etc.
    I know what to watch for in Florida and in the PA area like alligators, greasy old possums and deer but I don't know much about out west.

I am riding a 2004 K1200GT. Tires, Battery, fluids and air filter have just been renewed. Any tips are appreciated.
    Water, water, water. Snakes and scorpions when you stop to rest. They move from shade to shade in heat of the day. Just pay attention. Maybe a liter fuel can if you are unsure of your gas stops. Didn't say whether you were experienced long distance rider or not. If this a big daily miles trip, watch for fatigue particularly with high ambient temperatures. A good basic emergency medical kit if you are going to be doing some remote side roads off the beaten path. Plenty of YouTube videos on that. Look for the Preppers' videos, they've done the research, and the best ones focus on weight savings, perfect for packing out the bike.

Best tip already given above. Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Start early doing your research on Route 66, there is not a lot left. There are dedicated websites to this task as the route has changed several times.

http://www.national66.org/

Good luck!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by siriusscratch View Post
    Water, water, water. Snakes and scorpions when you stop to rest. They move from shade to shade in heat of the day. Just pay attention. Maybe a liter fuel can if you are unsure of your gas stops. Didn't say whether you were experienced long distance rider or not. If this a big daily miles trip, watch for fatigue particularly with high ambient temperatures. A good basic emergency medical kit if you are going to be doing some remote side roads off the beaten path. Plenty of YouTube videos on that. Look for the Preppers' videos, they've done the research, and the best ones focus on weight savings, perfect for packing out the bike.

Best tip already given above. Have fun and take lots of pictures!
    Thank you for the tips. I do a bit of long distance riding but not regularly. I do pack a first aid kit that is always in my tank bag. I will be sure to include snake and scorpion first aid. Good tip...
    I did not think about the extra fuel can. Thanks for that!
    Our mileage will be about 300 per day with sightseeing. Once I hit Little Rock I will be slabbing it to just get home.
    Extra water and extra fuel... Extra memory card for the camera... Peppers' videos...

Okay. Thanks to all.
    Bill M
    Fort Myers Florida
    1975 R75/5, 1978 R80/7

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    * Rattlesnakes! Both animal and tar...
    * Drink lots of fluids...
    * Take lots of pictures
    Tar rattlesnakes??? Ya lost me... :-)
    Bill M
    Fort Myers Florida
    1975 R75/5, 1978 R80/7

Tar rattlesnakes??? Ya lost me... :-)
    Crack sealer on roads is sometimes referred as Tar Snakes.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I will be sure to include snake and scorpion first aid. Good tip...
    I did not think about the extra fuel can. Thanks for that!
    When you stop, hang your helmet on the bike, do not place it on the ground. We had been to Texas many times before a local warned us we might find a Scorpion in our helmet if we placed them on the ground.
    We have toured in the Southwest quite a bit and have never carried extra fuel. Just be careful and don't try to stretch you tank range. When in doubt, fill early.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    When you stop, hang your helmet on the bike, do not place it on the ground. We had been to Texas many times before a local warned us we might find a Scorpion in our helmet if we placed them on the ground.
    We have toured in the Southwest quite a bit and have never carried extra fuel. Just be careful and don't try to stretch you tank range. When in doubt, fill early.
    Good advise on both items. I will watch out for the Tar Snakes too.
    Bill M
    Fort Myers Florida
    1975 R75/5, 1978 R80/7

Live it, or live with it
    April shouldn't be too hot, but as others have said keep hydrated--it's a drying heat. Keep in mind it can snow in April at higher elevations. Flagstaff gets more snow on April 1 than Christmas.

From Death Valley are you heading south to pick up 66? Kelbaker Road is a nice road through the Mojave National Preserve from Baker, CA to 66 near Amboy, CA.

Arizona from Needles, CA almost to Flagstaff has one of the longest, if not the longest, section of old 66. I'll suggest lunch in Oatman, overnight in Kingman, and lunch in Seligman at the Snowcap Drive In. Between Williams, AZ and the Canyon in Valle, AZ is the Planes of Fame Museum that is worth a stop.

From Flagstaff to the NM border I-40 pretty much obliterated 66. You can get a sense of the old road by taking County Road 505, BIA 15, State Route 264 from Winona (a little east of Flagstaff) through Leupp, Ganado, and Window Rock. Beautiful roads, lightly traveled through the Navajo Nation. Gas is available all along the route. Continue on to US491 and Gallup NM.
    Motor On '/,

Thank you jkersh1. Right now it looks like we head east almost back to Vegas/Boulder City after Death Valley. I'll take a look at your route to get over there to Kingman. I like those less-traveled routes. So do my riding buddies. We get on 66 between Kingman and Seligman. The Snowcap Drive-in sound good.
    We are stopping at the Planes of Fame too.
    Thanks
    Bill M
    Fort Myers Florida
    1975 R75/5, 1978 R80/7

Kingman. Kingman. As in the Kingman Trio, Hang Down Your Head, etc.
    Tar snakes. Those are the snakes to watch out for. Don't get any of then in your helmet.
    Oatman. That can be fun.
    There is a mine at Oatman. Go in there, if you can. If it is open. You will find yourself a few hundred feet under ... Route 66.
    dc

drgnhtr

What everybody says and:

Wildlife at dusk and on through the night!!! Day time is sleep time but almost everything is out and about after dark. And don't let the desert fool you there's a lot of wildlife out there both small and large.

100 mile stretch of Rt 66

There's a 100 mile stretch of Rt 66 that you should check out, and some caverns along the way, in case you like that sort of activity.

http://gccaverns.com/about/route-66/

From the website: "The Grand Canyon Caverns is in the middle of the longest stretch of the road still in use…100 miles…of beauty and scenery you will not get on the inter-state. With our classic 1960’s ‘filling’ station, café and shop, we are proud to offer a glimpse back to when traveling by car was more of an adventure and half the fun was just getting there."

As others have said, hydration! I also like starting early (i.e. before dawn) and stopping early (2-3 pm).

Santa Fe, on the northern, abandoned leg of Rt 66 is a "must-see"..... From another website: www.route-66.tv/new-mexico-route66.html

"The first alignment of Route 66, opened in 1926, originally passed through the state capital, Santa Fe, perched at an altitude of 7200 ft., then headed back down to Albuquerque, Gallup, before entering Arizona. In 1937, however, this alignment was abandoned, unanimously considered as too dangerous, uneven and taxing for automobiles."
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

In April, I am shipping my bike from Florida to Las Vegas with HaulBikes. I am flying out ... some tips and cautions from anyone that knows the dangers ... Any tips are appreciated.
    The only "danger" I can see in your plan is that flying part. Do not do it! Stinky airplanes make you sick and sometimes they kill you. Stay off them and ride your bike. That's what that motor and those wheels are for.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST