• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sliders + lights mount

JerryAttrick

I was thinking of mounting some sliders on the GT, and wondered if they could also be used as a mount point for some aux lights. This would keep the extra wiring off of the fork. Has anyone seen this done?
(I have no intention of doing any sliding, but you just never know...)

Never mind....I re-read the first post and answered my own question...must be too late in the evening...

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. The Pirates' Lair photos look good. The general idea is that the slider might be an extra inch out, with light mounts attached between the slider and the fairing. A little fabrication would be required. (The slider would not protect the light, but that's not the point.)
I haven't looked under the Tupperware yet, but it's good to know there is some sort of strong point there. The first service is coming up, so it's time to explore. I know there is a motorcycle in there somewhere, because when I twist the throttle, I'm suddenly in a different zip code.

Steve - thanks for the pics.

I see mounting these on a GT will require some surgery :lurk

Yeah, same for the S...Helen wants a set on her S...will require cutting holes in the fairing:doh The side panels look similar

I'm going to ask Joe who did his GT.

Yeah, same for the S...Helen wants a set on her S...will require cutting holes in the fairing:doh The side panels look similar

I'm going to ask Joe who did his GT.

Just checked Max's site and the hole you need to drill is in a $792 peice of plastic.

Drill steady my friend!! :drink

Just checked Max's site and the hole you need to drill is in a $792 peice of plastic.

Drill steady my friend!! :drink

YIKES! I have seen them on a few S bikes...still reluctant to take that leap with a drill!

This is Muddy1's bike from the K bike forum...She and Helen were talking K12S farkles when we ran into her. It's where Helen saw the Synto levers:doh "I want those"

Attachments

• K12S Ride (4).jpg
    K12S Ride (4).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 127
YIKES! I have seen them on a few S bikes...still reluctant to take that leap with a drill!

This is Muddy1's bike from the K bike forum...She and Helen were talking K12S farkles when we ran into her. It's where Helen saw the Synto levers:doh "I want those"

The bike looks great - it is just commiting for the hole - I felt the same way when i put a rack on the trunk lid of my Goldwing the first time.

BTW - important information on the Synto Levers is this posting by Peter - there is some subtle fitting that you need to ensure for it to work right on the bike.

Synto Level Link

Henzilla: "You bet...on a side note...did you sell your R1150R after Johnson City?"
Yes, it's in Washington, DC now. I replaced the other QD before selling, and have a pair for the sidecar rig. You really impressed Laura and me with the way you helped us out. We are planning to do Redmond this year. That's why the GT suddenly became "necessary".

Semper_Fi: "the hole you need to drill is in a $792 peice of plastic."
Part of the idea is that the hole just might avoid replacing that plastic. (The hole itself is actually free.) Of course, drilling it in the wrong place could spoil your whole day.

Hi Al :wave That GT has a little more ooomph than that R for sure!

That is Helen's reasoning as well for wanting the sliders as I mentioned this thread this morning over coffee...takes one parking lot drop to possibly ruin that $792 piece!

I have to change the air elements in her bike this week, so I will peek at the locations.

One thing to check is if the Slider is going to protect the side panel as you want it too.

You may want to run a straight edge to see if most or all the panel to see if anything touches if the bike were to drop.

Well..as fate would have it, O'l Joe came by with his 13GT for some new shoes today and I noticed he has these now .

Said they have clear instructions and a pointed center locator you screw in the mounting point, then tap your side panel to locate the site of "the hole". This is the third K12/K13 he has done. These came from Pirates Lair.

The PIAA 1100X mounts he said he has had for some time, they take the place of the fender screws and required a small hole in the black portion of the fender to be enlarged. He could not recall the manufacturer. Small aluminum block that has a hollow alum spacer that a screw attaches to fork leg. I like these a lot if looking for a low position similar to MotoLights.

Best shots I could get until I see him Saturday.

And Luis...I think I need a mirror slider as they always seem to be the first to touch:whistle:laugh:laugh

790076906_gZQgH-M.jpg

790078322_J7oQ9-M.jpg

790079004_tLmAB-M.jpg

790078561_m7EYh-M.jpg

790078779_JXBoQ-M.jpg

790079290_NFmDk-M.jpg

790078067_ozmG2-M.jpg

Steve - great pics - I don't like the look of the liders on a GT but that is me.

Obvious hi-jack alert - what kind of heater is that - looks better than mine

Steve - great pics - I don't like the look of the liders on a GT but that is me.

Obvious hi-jack alert - what kind of heater is that - looks better than mine

It does change the smooth lines...The S version does not stick out so far from looking at Muddy1's bike

HIJACK ANSWER-Sorry!
Home Depot version of a Ker-o-Sun... Dura Heat ,going on 9 seasons! bought it at Spring sale for $100 :thumb
http://www.yourheater.com/kerosene.htm

Back