• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

rental in germany

1971R755

> I am in need of a Motorrad rental from August 27th through Sept 6th, 2010, picking up near Brussles, Belgium for a tour of southern Germany.
>
> My first preference is a BMW R 1200 CL
>
> My second choice is a BMW K 1200 LT
>
Does anyone know of any contacts that could help me. So far the pickings are thin and only one of bikes I found has saddle bags and a rear case which we sill need for a 2 week trip.

Thanks for your help

Jody

Jody, i am going to move this to Motorrad where it should get more specific attention.

My first thought with regard to European rentals is that many BMW dealers rent bikes over there. You could start by contacting the official dealers in that area.

I have had nothing but excellent service from Stephan Knopf in Heidelberg, but I don't think he has the bikes you're thinking of. Still, you might email him and see if he has any ideas for you. You could easily take a train from Brussels to Heidelberg, or in fact, most other large cities in Europe.

BMW Niederlassung in Munich, one U-bahn stop from the Factory, the newly refurbished BMW Museum, and BMW-Welt, rents all new BMWs. You could take a train from Brussels to Munich (or even fly one of the low cost air carriers) and then rent in Bavaria.

This could work out well, as most rentals have a daily distance limit, after which you pay per km. (Knopf doesn't do this.) Riding from Brussels to Munich is mostly flat (except for the area around Trier) and you could eat up several days' worth of mileage on each transit.

Rembmer that the difference between Americans and Europeans is that Americans think 100 years is a long time and Europeans think 100 miles is a long distance.

+1 for Stefan Knopf - I rented from him last fall. Great service, no hassles, door-to-door shuttle to Frankfurt Airport, you can store your suitcases etc. at his place, and he even has a reasonably-priced B&B for your first night in Germany. From Brussels, Heidelberg is only a short train ride away (4-5 hrs).
Only problem may be your preference of bikes. I believe Stephan rents mostly R-RTs and GSs. But, he may be able to accomodate you. Also, his rental rates are on the low end of the competitive scale, especially considering that mileage is unlimited.
Stefan will likely have a booth at the MOA National Rally in Oregon so you can meet him there.

One suggestion

Excuse me if you don't want this advice, but as someone who has ridden two weeks in the Alps in 2008, I would highly not recommend the LT. In my thinking that bike is way to heavy and way too tall. The riding in Europe is very technical, with many hairpin turns. Google Stelvio Pass and see that there are 48 hairpins on just one side of the pass. Many are off camber and the roads are extremely narrow. The three bikes that would be last on my list, would be LT, Gold Wing and HD Road Glide. YMMV just my opinion.

+1 on the LT being way too heavy. Even my 1150RT was heavy but I had to haul clothes and stuff with me.
Best tool for the hairpin turns would probably be a F800GS - light and nimble.

Back