• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW NP Protectors TOO MUCH / overkill?

gorseks

I have a BMW commuter 3 jacket with the CE protectors and I love it. I have purchased the Rallye Pro 2 and an Airflow with the NP protecors. It appears to be overkill on the body armour, as if feels more like a straight jacket or football padding, compared to a motorcycle jacket. I have been replacing the NP procetors (which are thick and bulky) with older CE equivelents, and the jacket comes out much more comfortable, and I can actually move in it. I understand Motorads desire to create a jacket with the best armour, but if it is not comfortable or it restricts my movement, then I will take the lesser protection.;)

Just a observation and maybe a little advice/feedback for Motorad, and for those of you out their that are not buying the newer jackets for the same reason.

I agree! Last year I purchased a BMW Airshell jacket. The arm and shoulder protectors are great but the back protector is a joke. It's huge! It looks like a boogie board, is thick, buky and uncomfortable. It must be some sort of German torture device. I took it out.

Last edited:
I agree! Last year I purchased a BMW Airshell jacket. The arm and shoulder protectors are great but the back protector is a joke. It's huge! It looks like a boogie board, is thick, buky and uncomfortable. It must be some sort of German torture device. I took it out.

Put it back in !!
I am walking and riding today because of a back protector :huh

Or find one more to your liking to put in? I'd hate to not have one in there at all.

Agreed

Yes I have a new Air 3 jacket and pants. The back protector is much arger than my old Air 1 jacket.
just a matter of getting used to it. After all you only have the armour for when you need it.. and then it gets comfortable real quick..
regards

I agree with the consensus to put some protection there! I've been very happy with the "Quad-Armor" in my Cycleport pants and jacket (motoport.com). They offer a less bulkier option the "Tri-Armor" which would offer significantly better protection than nothing at all, and might suit your comfort level. Plus it's made in :usa

Keep it in.

As they they 'say be prepared.'
I purchased an airflow 2 last summer and went to the local BMW store and replaced all the CE armour (elbows, shoulder and back) with NP armour. I also did the Santiago pants with the same - total cost about $180.00 Cdn.
I put a Dainese back protector in my textile suit and the Dainese leather jacket as well. I know it is a lot of money but as the above riders said, I hope to be able to count on the best protection if and when I drop the bike. Of course I wear a helmet and ride with all the gear all the time. I can wash off sweat, not scabs. I still cant believe my eyes when I see riders with leather jacket, but no eye protection or boots on. Almost everybody skimps on something and there are no parts of the body thay I'm willing to sacrifice. I just ordered Hyperlites to round off the precautions. I've been riding too long to take other drivers' competence for granted.
This is not to say that BMW or other manufacturers are selling inferior products. Its just that over time, other than airheads, things really get better and safer for us, and there is every reason to utilize the advances in safety. My 2 cents.

T-Pro's back protectors are less bulky than the BMW. I was surprised how thick the air pro back protector that I put into my CoverAll suit was.

..........thick, bulky and uncomfortable.

"Uncomfortable" would be landing on your back on the asphalt.

I wore a Marine issue flak jacket in Vietnam and a ballistic vest for decades during my career in the NJSP. Both were hot, heavy, stiff, and definitely uncomfortable, but one hell of a sight less uncomfortable than the possibility of hot lead tearing through my chest.

It's a matter of perspective. ;)

Obviously comfort in any kind of clothing is pretty subjective. What's comfortable for one may well be uncomfortable for another. I have a Rallye Pro 2 jacket/pants, and a relatively recent Airflow jacket/pants and have never thought either one was uncomfortable for a second. I've put over 50,000 miles on my Rallye suit. Maybe suiting up weekly and playing hockey for 30 years helps put it in perspective.

Ok, maybe I should put it back in but damn, it's mean! I've worn Kevlar body armour five days a week for twenty plus years and it has never felt as bulky as this BMW armour does. The back protector in my 'Stich Roadcrafter is much more friendly to the ride than the BMW is as well. I've thought about trying to make something out of outdated body armour but haven't succeeded yet. Unfortunately body armour lends itself to only one use.

I wear a Rally Pro 2 suit and wouldn't change a thing. I know it is much easier to wear only some of the gear but feel it will be worth it if something happens. I was looking at photo's of sport bike riders today on Killboy.com and was amazed how many had good jackets only to have blue jeans and tennis shoes on. Always remember, if you went sliding down the road, what do want to have on. Say that to yourself everytime you leave the house.

Back