• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where you gonna go on the bike this year?

Bullett

After rummaging through some pictures from the past few years of fun rides, I need to get serious about planning for this year.

We usually do a lot of short 1 to 3 day rides around Wyoming, Utah, Colorado.

We are planning to attend the BMWST unrally in July in the Sierra Nevada's (I'm still working on Jan about running up to Redmond), and we usually make a couple of runs down to Torrey near Capitol Reef N.P. and at least one run over to Colorado. We really don't have any other rides "planned" this year, but we could end up doing some spring riding in Nevada and Arizona if things work out.

What are your plans for riding season this year?

we're slackers this year....but it comes from competing needs. Vermont BMWRA looks like a 'go to' and in September we host the Salty Fog Riders Rally here in Nova Scotia. Scattered in this is the need to build a barn and finish landscaping: both at the site of the Salty Fog. Probably go to the Bluenose Rally here in NS at the beginning of July. Oh yeah, that car trip in May to Miami..... plus my new fledgling consulting business needs some attending to. Summer will be busy enough.

However, the summer of 2011 promises another 'big trip around a chunk of N America. But that's then not now. - Bob

We will go to the Texas National Rally and Blitz to Branson in April. Then we will travel north and west, eventually attending the MOA rally in Redmond. Then more wandering in the northwest. Eventually we will go to the Bavarian Mountain Weekend rally at Sipapu in September and then come home. Otherwise, we will fill in the blanks as we go along.

Paul,
I spent a large portion of my adult life in N. New Mexico. Went to college in Las Vegas, and worked as an electricion there for several years and did the wiring on the chair-lift at Sipapu. Before that, all they had was a rope-lift.

Mmmmm Green Chili stew & tortillas for breakfast!
Dayum. I may have to go to that one! Chymaio Chili is absouloutly the best grown!

Paul,
I spent a large portion of my adult life in N. New Mexico. Went to college in Las Vegas, and worked as an electricion there for several years and did the wiring on the chair-lift at Sipapu. Before that, all they had was a rope-lift.

Mmmmm Green Chili stew & tortillas for breakfast!
Dayum. I may have to go to that one! Chymaio Chili is absouloutly the best grown!

We've been there most of the past 15 or so years. It is a don't-miss rally for us.

June~Another variation of my annual Colorado trip to my home town of Ft. Collins, Colorado, then Aspen via the Cache la Poudre with views of the backdoor of the Never Summer Mountain Range, to Grandby and Leadville, return via the long way around through Alamosa...I want to spend a night at the great sand dunes outside of Alamosa, then head home to Ft. Collins, via south park, then peak to peak highwayfrom I-70 to Estes Park.

July~Lake Superior, clockwise direction. New terriitory past Grand Marais, MN

I really would like to leave tomorrow!:wave

Great to read all those plans! Especially on a gray cold day that reminds me of scenes from the movie, The Road. OK, maybe not that bad!

We usually do Paonia, then Stanley Stomp with riding through BC or the Northwest. This year we will be at the National at Redmond, maybe the Moto GP at Laguna Seca (sp?) or the Washington rally instead of TOR. (It would be hard to miss our buddies in Paonia though!)

Missoula is always a stop for a few days. Great food, old freinds, hot springs, the Lochsa.
Then to Grand Jean and home to teach. Got to support this habit!

And of course, as soon as we get some spring rains to wash the gravel off, the roads in Custer Park, through the Black Hills and the Badlands are great. And, hopefully a lot of after work de-stress time!

Ride 2 Q 2, Blitz to Branson, Chicken Rally, Redmond, Wisconsin Dells, Trail of Tears and then just riding around.

No UN for me as the timing is conflicting and I have an all day event to put on at the MOA rally. Sure wish the UN organizers would try to not have a conflict next year. The MOA Rally is a constant event, the UN moves around the calendar.

Ride 2 Q 2, Blitz to Branson, Chicken Rally, Redmond, Wisconsin Dells, Trail of Tears and then just riding around.

No UN for me as the timing is conflicting and I have an all day event to put on at the MOA rally. Sure wish the UN organizers would try to not have a conflict next year. The MOA Rally is a constant event, the UN moves around the calendar.

What about the RA?

No big trips for me this year as I have too many community commitments. But in July I will travel down to Arkansas for a week of riding and visiting family. My next big trip on the bike will not be until 2012 Alaska trip. Unless you count the Antarctica trip - hopefully in December of 2010. Most of that is by C130, but the bike will be with me.

Rides

Blitz to Branson, a week in May in Texas Hill Country, New Mexico and Big Bend
Memorial Day Weekend Ride to Illinois, ride in the Not Superman Rally, attend the Iron Butt National Meet and ride in the Iron Butt 5000. There will be more small ones as the summer progresses.

In the newby thread I started, a guy came on to tell me I should go to the Northern Georgia something or other, so Mme. Butterfly and I will take the K1200 RS and head down there at the end of April. Our college mates are Miata nutters and they are always blasting down to Deal's Gap and are very impressed with the area so, Land of Cleves to Northern Georgia it is for us. First BMWMOA outing for us!!
Of course this summer I will be travelling the small amount of 11 times to Germany and I will be using my K100 (provided I get the sucker running) that lives across the ocean a LOT over there. I do have an outing (job related believe it or not!!) in Northern Germany in late June. We will be visiting Piennemunde and places like that, all related to German airplane history.... In the fall I will be doing a ride with my K100 in France which is mostly for older bikes, (though all are welcome) with the Bimmer club of France which I belong to.
Andres

Americade

Airheads at Aerodrome

RA rally in Pownal, Vermont

Salty Fog

Green Mountain Rally

Colors in the Catskills

The T.W.T. from bottom to top then back down...;)

Last edited:
Is winter going to ever end? Most of our local fun canyon roads are not open yet. Its supposed to snow again this week. I've had my bike out around town (well, and up Big Cottonwood Canyon), but its just not the same as a several hundred mile mind cleanser. :violin

Branson DONE

Ride - 2 -Q This Weekend!

riding to Redmond

my riding will consist of riding back and forth to work and the Redmond rally and Top of the Rockies rally

Back