• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Boots

tessler

univers zero
I plan on upgrading my touring boots this Spring and am looking at the Vendramini Marathon, REV'IT! Rival, TCX X-5 and Sidi Canyon.

I've been using Prexport's 360WP for the last four years and have been extremely satisfied with their fit and feel, waterproofing and breathability. Their only downside being rather thin velcro tab closures that have, over time, become a bit dogeared.

What do you like or use and why?

If you're looking at the Vendramini Marathons, the TCX Infinity is more comparable than the X-5.

I have a pair (when TCX was Oxtar) and they extremely well-built, warm in cold weather, 100% waterproof, but breath well when it's warm. Best boots I've ever had.

U.S. Army issue Combat Boots. (the all leather type) great comfort and great protection. Price is very good at any Army/Navy store. why pay hundreds of dollars for less boot.

If you're looking at the Vendramini Marathons, the TCX Infinity is more comparable than the X-5.

I have a pair (when TCX was Oxtar) and they extremely well-built, warm in cold weather, 100% waterproof, but breath well when it's warm. Best boots I've ever had.
That's a strong endorsement, Dave! Thanks for your suggestion.

Sidi. Take a look at the On Roads. I bought the Canyons and sold them to buy the On Roads.
I will, coalminer. Thanks for the info.

U.S. Army issue Combat Boots. (the all leather type) great comfort and great protection. Price is very good at any Army/Navy store. why pay hundreds of dollars for less boot.
Something worth considering, kgadley. :) I do like the fact that Aerostich has based their main riding boot design on US Army boots and even called them Combat Boots.

Sidi Canyon. Good quality. I ride in cold wet conditions often and they have not let me down yet. Easy on and off.

For the price range you are looking at I got these BMW Santiago's, and they are very good. I got them because I had Sidi On-Roads and were very good but the way they cut and construct their boot made the toe box too tight and loose on the heel.

All your choices are excellent

Boots_Santiango.jpg

I just sold my Sidi Crossfires which I'd bought for the added ankle support after breaking my lower leg last February. They were awesome boots that allowed me to start riding a few months earlier than I could have with regular touring boots.

2007_Sidi_Crossfire_TA_Boot.jpg

Had I not needed the lateral ankle support provided by the Crossfire / MX / Motard style boot the Sidi Discovery would have been another boot I would have liked for my year-round, all-weather commutes and day trips. However, it just didn't have the oomph of the nearly armored Crossfire.

2008_Sidi_Discovery_Rain_Boots_Black.jpg

The only problem with the Crossfires other than the somewhat extra rigid sole was the added girth at the calf area that proved to be too bulky for my lined winter overpants. However, much to my pleasant suprise Sidi introduced a new boot this year called the Adventure rain boot that appears to be a cross between the On Road and Crossfire. I've just ordered a pair from a shop out West (Got a great deal, by the way... PM for contact info) and am anxious to see how they'll compare to the Crossfires.

sidi_adventure_rain_boots_detail.jpg

The only downside to the Adventure is that the distributor is just about sold out of the entire size range, with one notable exception: Size 42. I'd rather be lucky than good.

Sidi Canyon. Good quality. I ride in cold wet conditions often and they have not let me down yet. Easy on and off.

For the price range you are looking at I got these BMW Santiago's, and they are very good. I got them because I had Sidi On-Roads and were very good but the way they cut and construct their boot made the toe box too tight and loose on the heel.

All your choices are excellent[/IMG]
Thanks for the chime-in Kevin and Luis.
I remember trying on a pair about 3 years or so ago, but forgot to consider the Santiagos for this go round, Luis. I will definitely give them another look at our local dealer.

However, much to my pleasant suprise Sidi introduced a new boot this year called the Adventure rain boot that appears to be a cross between the On Road and Crossfire. I've just ordered a pair from a shop out West (Got a great deal, by the way... PM for contact info) and am anxious to see how they'll compare to the Crossfires.

sidi_adventure_rain_boots_detail.jpg

The only downside to the Adventure is that the distributor is just about sold out of the entire size range, with one notable exception: Size 42. I'd rather be lucky than good.
Wow. Those look pretty batten-down-the-hatches-cool! :thumb Thanks for the reco, TandemGeek. I think our local Duc-Triumph dealer has those and I'll definitely try them next time I'm there.

Good experience with TCX/Oxtar

A few months ago I replaced my aging BMW Contours for my winter boots. I really wanted a pair of TCX Infinities, but they're a tall 14" boot, and I have monster calves that were just too big, and the top of the boots just wouldn't go around them. IMHO the Infinities are the best out there for a tall and sturdy enduro boot. In any event, my calves were too big for every 14" boot I looked at, so I was stuck with the more standard 11" to 12" boots. I already owned a pair of TCX (Oxtar when I bought them) Air Tech XCR boots for summer and were happy with them, so I bought a pair of X-Fives. They're both excellent boots. The X-Fives are well made, comfortable out of the box, easy to walk in, decent retention (nothing like the Infinities, of course), and I've ridden through two big rainstorms and my feet stayed dry. They're just a superb all-round boot for a decent price. BTW, I wear a 45 in all my Oxtar/TCX boots.

I also tried Sidis, but my feet are terminally between their sizes. I tried on a pair of the On Roads and the Canyon Gore Tex, and it was true for both of them: the 45s were too tight, and my feet swam in the 46s. The On Roads, being a tall boot, were also too small around the top of the boot because of my calf size. I really liked look an build quality of both.

I also wanted to try a pair of Vendramini Marathons. But I had a terrible time trying to communicate with BikerWorldUSA, the sole USA distributor. To make a long story short, I tried calling their toll free number, and nobody answered or called back. I emailed them a number of times and never got a return email. I've heard of other people who had great experience with them, but their failure to respond to me has scared me off. Just my $0.02 based on my experience.

IMHO REV'IT makes great stuff. I tried on the REV'IT Apaches and they seemed like excellent boots. But I had the same issue with REV'IT as I did with Sidi: the 45s were too tight, and the 46s were way too big. I really liked the boots, though. BTW, I wear a REV'IT Dragon jacket and I like it a lot. I suspect their boots are good, too.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

EDIT: BTW, the BMW Santiagos that somebody mentioned above are identical to the Infinities in every respect except the Sangiago has a outer steel toe. And when I say identical I mean, other than some minor cosmetic differences, they are identical. No question BMW's Santiago is made by TCX. Check out this LINK from ADVrider done a few years ago. It compares the Infinities with the BMW Savannahs, which were the forerunners of the Santiago. Interesting stuff. Also, while I haven't looked at them closely, I suspect that BMW's Allround boot is essentially TCX's X-Five.

Last edited:
give em the boot

I would have to strongly agree with semper fi those santiago's are very comfortable and protective at the same time.Also fit like a glove.I dare any agressive dog to try for one!:evil

I have a pair of Alpine Star boots that are very comfortable walking or riding, comfort and good protection is a great combination. I wear 11>11/2 EEE and prefer to try boots on before buying. I bought the Alpine-Stars off the web as the price was 1/2 of retail and the stated size was correct (lucky me). Good socks are just as important for comfort as boots, wear those you ride with when checking to see if the new boots feel comfortable. Ride Safe :usa :usa

doctor marten boots here. started as 10 eyes. cut off 2 eyelets and made a chucka boot. Comfy on and off the bike.

Bought a pair of Marathon boots a year ago, expensive and after many miles in all types of weather conditions, worth it.

I plan on upgrading my touring boots this Spring and am looking at the Vendramini Marathon, REV'IT! Rival, TCX X-5 and Sidi Canyon.

I've been using Prexport's 360WP for the last four years and have been extremely satisfied with their fit and feel, waterproofing and breathability. Their only downside being rather thin velcro tab closures that have, over time, become a bit dogeared.
The same Prexports were my favorites - to the point that I had 3 pairs of them at one time. They are now relegated to snow-blowing duty once the waterproofness left (they were very good keeping water IN - I would end up with about 1/2" of water inside the boot after a day riding in heavy rain.) The problem now with Prexport - they apparently don't make the street models anymore, and no one is importing them into the US.
What do you like or use and why?
I went to BMW's All-Round boots, and have been quite happy with them.

Fit is similar to the Prexport, but I'd suggest trying them on before purchase. Price is less than many other "name" brand boots, and was way less since I had a gift certificate from the dealer to use when I bought them. Good traction, have been totally waterproof, easy to slide my feet into - nothing really to complain about except the zipper is occasionally a bit sticky (been meaning to lube it..) I've worn them in temps from about 95F down to 32F and been comfortable. They also (as were the Prexports) are comfortable to walk in, although they did take a few days of break-in which the Prexports never did.

Might be worth checking out a pair at a dealer..

Combat Boots

I think very highly of my Aerostich Combat Boots, but then again before that I wore Red Wing Steel Toe work boots, and thought those were great too.

You might consider Cruiserboots. They are waterproof, comfortable, come in several styles, and in my opinion, reasonably priced.

I've owned a pair for the past 7 - 8 years and they still repel water and look good. They also have ankle protection and a crush resistant toe along with, I think, a steel shank. The boots can also be resoled.
Art Snyder

Back