• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mods for right arm prosthetic on R12GS

J

jgbass

Hi, I have a customer who is looking to move the front brake lever on a new GS to the left side while keeping the clutch lever intact. Anybody know someone who has made this modification for riding with a right arm prosthetic?

Thanks,

Jay-Motomarin

I've never seen a set up like this but haven't been riding long. Thinking about it though; you would need the ability to operate either the clutch or brake lever independently or both at the same time depending on what you're doing. And, of course, maintain one handed steering control. What about modifying the foot brake to operate both wheels instead of just the rear? Or maybe an additional foot brake, still on the right side? Then the left hand wouldn't have to do so much.
Bill
2009 R1200RT

An auto mechanic who worked here in Santa Cruz in the 70s and 80s had only a right arm. He rode a K100, and while I never saw the bike close up, nor met him, I heard that it was modified by moving the clutch from the left side to the right. His place of business is still there, but it has looked derelict and abandoned since the late 80s.

Last edited:
I ride with a guy that has limited use of his right hand. He has a thumb lever on the left side, under the grip.

I believe the rear pedal runs the front brakes and the thumb the rear. I also think he has linked ABS so the foot actually runs the front and rear.

The Stunt bike crowd may be able to help. They have brake levers in different places.

This is a good idea. Chris McNeil, the BMW-sponsored stunter (see the thread on this forum), adds a rear brake lever to the right handlebar. He just picked up his new S1000RR from the local dealer, Tri-Valley Moto in Livermore, CA. Might be worth the phone call.

Saw a bike at the Slimey Crud Run where everything was over on the left side of the bike, dude might have had only a left arm???
Not sure if/where you could get a picture of it, but there are lots of Slimey Crud Run pictures on the net. It was a UJM motorcycle, nothing special except the mods.
Would anyone in WI know who I am talking about??
I saw it in Leland a couple years ago, 08 I think.

Gilly

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the replies to my question. I'll pass the info along to my customer. Hopefully we can get him riding again.

The lever controls both front and rear brakes with power in proper harmony, if you treated the rear lever as a master for the input of the front you could take advantage of what BMW spent so much time pefecting. I ride a 08 GS and the hand brake is used predictably in near all conditions. I will head out and take a look to see if my first thought is close to managable.

There is or was a BMW airhead GS rider by the name of George I met several years ago at the Iowa and Dells Rally's who had only a left arm.
I remember he said that he uses a "pull/push" double cabled throttle from a Honda 400 or 600...one of those Dual sport models,that he mounted on the left side.
Also..
I think for his front brake he used a "lever and perch from a compression release setup" ( those big old 4 stroke thumpers had these *two fingered levers*behind and underneath the clutch levers) in order to kick start those bikes.
He did tho have the rear "foot pedal" brake setup as normal.

Back