• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help me wire my Gerbings R1150rt

I just picked up a microwire liner, and have bench tested it :dance

I am considering these wiring options and would like your opinion:

1) wire directly to battery, with Gerbing's Portable Temp-Controller
2) use my existing powerlet on dash & hook to permanent controller
3) use powerlets on on side of bike, with Gerbing's Portable Temp-Controller
4) Mount the permanent controller on the dash and use the wiring on the controller, not the powerlet.

I would like a clean install without a lot of wires hanging around

Last edited:
I put a BMW plug on mine which I plug into the side of the bike. It is out of your way when riding, and easy to get to to disconnect when dismounting. The Temptroller fits neatly into the rear strap on my tankbag, easy to get to with gloves on.

Since you don't really use the Gerbings a large percentage of the time riding, I wanted to find a solution which was simple, easy, and convienant to hook up.
Worked well on my bike.

I put a BMW plug on mine which I plug into the side of the bike. It is out of your way when riding, and easy to get to to disconnect when dismounting. The Temptroller fits neatly into the rear strap on my tankbag, easy to get to with gloves on.

Since you don't really use the Gerbings a large percentage of the time riding, I wanted to find a solution which was simple, easy, and convienant to hook up.
Worked well on my bike.

Thanks for the response. A couple questions...

Did you have to up the fuse size to the outlet, and do you think you are losing
any power by running via the outlet?

No, I didn't have to up the fuse size. I run a GPS & a V-1 off of the dashboard socket, and the microwire jacket liner off the side. Never had a problem. Both run off of the same fuse. (I added the powerlet on the dash)
Mine is a 95 R11RS which is the same electrical system as yours (I think/not sure)
If they are different, I'm sure someone will chime in and let us know.

I'm not sure what you mean by "loosing any power". Do you mean is the Gerbing getting enough power to heat fully?
If this is your meaning, then no. It works fine.

My 02' 1150RT

Controller; mounted with led in the removable plate in the dash
777910043_qnAzU-M.jpg

Jacket connection; seen here with the body panel removed. It can't be seen at all with the panel in place.
777910076_UAKp5-M.jpg

Last edited:
My 02' 1150RT

Controller; mounted with led in the removable plate in the dash
777910043_qnAzU-M.jpg

Jacket connection; seen here with the body panel removed. It can't be seen at all with the panel in place.
777910076_UAKp5-M.jpg

Nice set up. and photos.

Do you run the wire to the jacket connection on top of your left leg, or sit on it?

I know I'm beating this to death, but I've got until spring! :violin

Over the years I've just let the connecting wire drape over the side of my leg/thigh. Never been an isssue. Do not see any reason to sit on it.
Mark S.

For the slickest controller setup see the Warm N Safe Dual REMOTE Heat
Troller - one of their Gen 4 products. Puts a smaller receiver on your jacket than the clunky Gerbings device and allows mounting the very small control box anywhere you wantr it with a little bit of velcro. No wiring the bike and easily portable for one bike to another.

Dual is so you control gloves and jacket separately, typically needed on an RT.

If you stock outlet runs your gear (I think it will, not like the 5 A limit on the early R1200RT), I suggest just plugging into it. If you want to add, it is easiest go go direct to battery.

Nice set up. and photos.

Do you run the wire to the jacket connection on top of your left leg, or sit on it?

I know I'm beating this to death, but I've got until spring! :violin

I use a coil chord, with a clip on it that is attached to the side of my pants. I run the chord over my leg, not under it. I attach the clip to my pants pocket on my BMW pants and it holds the chord in place, no flapping, as it goes over my leg, behind me, and connects to the bike.

The coil chord and tiny clip came from Aerostich.

Back