Thread: Z Technik Engine Guards for R1200RT?

Z Technik Engine Guards for R1200RT?

Has anyone installed a set of these on a 2009 R1200RT? What are your
    impressions of these guards? I'm considering a set for my bike and would
    like to hear from someone who has them before I order a set. They look
    relatively easy to install, and it says that they fit all years of the R1200 bikes.
    Thanks for the feedback. Here's the link:

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/techn...rd-p-1951.html

Thanks, Don

Jim

Z Technik Engine Guards for R1200RT

Don,
    I am also thinking about this product. I did see them at a dealer on a RT and they looked great. I am hoping that I can mount some type of hiway pegs to them. Someone commented that ZTEK is planning on coming out with their own peg design for the guards bu do not know when. Soon as I save up a few more sheckels I'll be puling the trigger.
    Jim
    2008 R1200RT Sand Beige
    1984 Honda V65 Magna

Absolutely!

I liked the look of these too, although I was feeling kind of cautious in that I had
    heard that there was one set of these type of engine guards that wouldn't fit on the 2009 RT. I think they are the Touratech guards. I looked at the PDF of installation instructions for these on ZTechnik's web page and it looks pretty straightforward. I'm most likely going to pull the trigger too, I'd just like to hear something from someone who has these and/or their experience of putting them on.....snappy looking, it would be nice if they developed a highway peg to go with these. Don

You might want to take a look at the R1200GS Adventure guards. I put a set on my RT, they seem pretty rugged and look like they were made for the bike.

Rally Rat

Adventure Bars on RT

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn45 View Post
    You might want to take a look at the R1200GS Adventure guards. I put a set on my RT, they seem pretty rugged and look like they were made for the bike.
    Picture possible ?

mteitler
    I've got the Z Tech bars on my bike. The install was easy, save for one of the bolts on the left side - you have to reach waaay into and under the fairing side panel to get the thread started. Some sort of extension for your hex is very helpful here. Otherwise, they look great and would serve as excellent mounts for lights and/or foot pegs. Haven't crash tested them yet but they certainly look sturdy enough to withstand the blow. IMNSHO they are the best looking of the bar-type protectors available.

I've got them on my '09 RT. Install was quite easy except I did have to file the hole in the left side lower mount to get it to line up/fit. For me, the choice was less about protection and more about a place to mount some hi-way pegs.

I like that the guards are fairly unobtrusive and the fit and finish was great. I would recommend them.

Thanks - Highway Pegs

Thanks for the input guys, this is very helpful. Do you have highway pegs on yours now? What kind and from where? Any pictures? I'm pretty well sold at this point on these crash bars and a much longer extension bar for my socket wrench. Thanks again. Don