• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Lifting bike onto Centerstand

badgertom

This question has probably been asked too many times, but I need to ask it again. How do I best lift the bike onto the centerstand without dropping it . Last fall I almost lost it. There is a gadget ( bike lift by Wunderlich) for sale which attaches to the side of the bike and is supposed to help im lifting it on the centerstand. Is this worth it? Has anyone tried it.

Tom,

Yes, it has been asked a few times...search is your friend! LOL

As far as putting it on the stand, I really don't think with the propper techinique you will reallly need any additional equipment.

First, put the stand down to the ground with your right foot on it, and rock the bike side to side slightly. You will be able to feel when both "feet" of the centerstand are touching the ground.

Now, holding the bike by the left handgrip, and the handhold really put all of your weight on the back piece of the centerstand while pulling slightly up and back with the handhold. It really should take almost no effort of lifting with your arms.

With a little practice, you will get it!

with BMWs, it's really more a matter of pushing the centerstand down into the ground than it is pulling the bike up above it. PUSH the c-stand down with your foot.

with BMWs, it's really more a matter of pushing the centerstand down into the ground than it is pulling the bike up above it. PUSH the c-stand down with your foot.
+1. I tend the think of it as an elementary physics problem: 1) push the stand down to the pavement with your right foot, then rock it just a little bit to make sure both sides are touching the pavement, 2) hold left handgrip with left hand, and (depending on model) hold, handgrip (R1150RT), luggage rack (R1200RT) with right hand, and finally 3) using the handholds only to guide the motorcycle towards the rear, step down smartly (putting your entire body weight onto it)on the centerstand footpad.

I weigh 228#, and my final step (#3) has to be moderated, as otherwise, I'd launch my R1200RT back, and it would fall off the stand.

Don't try this barefooted...probably won't work...:D

The above instructions are the way to do the lift.

However, if you should ever lower the bike's suspension, it will require more grunt to get the the bike up. If in time it becomes more difficult to do the operation, it might be an indication that the rear shock needs replacing.

Well here's a twist on the technique that makes it even easier- I do this because I shattered the long tendon in my right foot and cannot put focussed loads on that arch without starting swelling, even with boots on. Turns out its less effort than a right foot technique anyway

Put the stand down and make sure both sides are touching hard stuff
Turn bars all the way to left (clutch side)
With LEFT foot on the stand, right hand on the bike by the rear seat and left hand on the left grip, simply ROLL the bike rearward onto the stand.

Yes it is NOT about lifting the weight of the bike and
Yes you need to be careful about being over exuberant, especially if you've got a fully loaded top case! It can get some pretty serious momentum going. If your technique is sound it almost jumps up on the stand.

I should probably point out my stand is on a "turn a bike" so I spin it 180 next.

It also helps to have the handlebars turned slightly to the right when getting on or off centerstand, this will cause the bike to lean towards you rather than away from you preventing a tip over.

I use the wunderlich handle when I can't use the handhold by the rear seat because I have a large duffle strapped to the seat.

My sense is if you are almost losing it while placing it on the center stand you are not getting the full weight of the bike square on both feet of the stand. As others have stated here, it is more technique than it is strength.

Experience is the best teacher

Remember the "old" days, when the Honda C-110 Super Sport weighed in at 150 lbs. and you where in 9th. grade at 135 lbs. No side stand and you learned the technique. As we grew up and our bikes got bigger, larger, heavier and faster we drew back on that experience and evolved without really thinking about it.
Now the bikes are 400 plus lbs. and we "I" am over 60 years old and I pop up the GSA without thinking.
Keys: 1. Keep working out. The strength you keep adds confidence.
2. Start small. Practice on a smaller lighter bike.
3. Never hurts to have a spotter until you perfect the technique.
4. The advice on previous reply's are perfect.
Just like riding a bike. Once you learn it, it becomes second nature.

It's easier to put it up on the center stand than to take it off IMHO. I always make sure the side stand is down and standing on the left side of the bike with it in first gear I rock it forward and "bounce" it off the center stand. Being in gear stops its forward motion and I preload it to the left so it winds up on the side stand.

My GSA has got to be one of the easiest bikes ever to put on center stand. As said above, just step down on the centerstand. I also gently pull up on the bike, but that is more to control the bike than anything else. Once you do it a few times you will get the hang of it.

This question has probably been asked too many times, but I need to ask it again. How do I best lift the bike onto the centerstand without dropping it . Last fall I almost lost it. There is a gadget ( bike lift by Wunderlich) for sale which attaches to the side of the bike and is supposed to help im lifting it on the centerstand. Is this worth it? Has anyone tried it.

I checked the OP's previous posts and saw that he has a R1200R.
I looked at a R1200R at a dealer and put it up on the center stand and compared to the other models it is not as easy as a RT or a GS.

I always make sure the side stand is down <snip>
Interesting -- I always make sure my sidestand is *never* down.

The reason is that I am more concerned about the suspension allowing the bike to drop down far enough that the sidestand hits before the bike is finished coming down, and immediately throwing the bike over to the right (a motion there's no way I could ever hope to stop), than I am about whether I can hold the bike upright (with the sidestand up) as the bike comes off the stand.

Just sumthin' to ponder.

Last edited:
Must be personel taste

Getting the bike off the center stand, I get on the bike and push it forward. I always feel uncomfortable standing on the side and reversing the order of putting it on the stand.
Figure that out?!

After years of trial and error and more than on in-garage drop:

Putting bike on centerstand, I'm standing on the left side of the bike with the sidestand down.

Taking the bike off the centerstand, I'm straddling the bike with the sidestand up.

My 2005 R1200GS is a gut buster to put on the stand. I weigh 220Lbs and it takes my full weight and a strong tug to get it up on the stand. Last year I rode a 2009 GS and it was much easier to put on the stand. It looked to me like the rear arm on the newer bike was longer.

In contrast, my R80 takes no effort at all. Its really hard to believe that only 70 Lbs separates the weight of these bikes.

tho the general rule is "heavier is harder", it only accurately reflects 2 bikes that are pretty much the same model. it's more about weight distribution, height from ground, and (most critically) the position of the c-stand (fore/aft). those parameters change the dynamics of the entire operation.

Back