• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lifting bike onto Centerstand

It's easier to put it up on the center stand than to take it off IMHO. I always make sure the side stand is down and standing on the left side of the bike with it in first gear I rock it forward and "bounce" it off the center stand. Being in gear stops its forward motion and I preload it to the left so it winds up on the side stand.
I used to also bounce the bike off into first gear but stopped when someone told me that it was not healthy for the transmission. I started doing this after once running beside the K in a parking lot before I could stop it.

So tell me, is there potential transmission damage to be done bouncing the bike off the centre stand with it in first gear? :dunno

To get off the centerstand:

Sidestand down, transmission in neutral, bars straight or slightly left, right hand over brake lever.

Push forward, apply the brake when the bike comes off the stand, and park on the sidestand. Even without the assist (I have an '06), there is plenty of braking power.

Works for me every time and doesn't strain my weak back.

And as others have posted, proper technique makes it easy to put it on the centerstand (as was my 900 lb. GoldWing).

Tom

I used to also bounce the bike off into first gear but stopped when someone told me that it was not healthy for the transmission. I started doing this after once running beside the K in a parking lot before I could stop it.

So tell me, is there potential transmission damage to be done bouncing the bike off the centre stand with it in first gear? :dunno
Sure -- think about it -- you're forcing the weight of the bike to rotate the rear wheel against a stopped engine, so everything in between sees a torque load (wheel, final drive gears/bearings, drive shaft, tranny output, intermediate and input shafts and bearings, clutch input splines, flywheel, crankshaft). Is it likely to immediately break anything? No. Is it healthy in the long term? Can't be.

Easy solution: bounce the bike down with the clutch pulled in and use the front brake to stop/hold the bike.

Easy solution: bounce the bike down with the clutch pulled in and use the front brake to stop/hold the bike.

Thank you for reaffirming what I thought would be correct.

However, I'm not tall or heavy enough to bounce the bike off the centre stand, and keep a grip on the brake; too far of a reach with predictable consequences, especially with the R. I'll continue with the procedure that I began back in the spring, with the bikes in neutral and bounced to a level surface to minimize the forward roll.

However, I'm not tall or heavy enough to bounce the bike off the centre stand, and keep a grip on the brake; too far of a reach with predictable consequences, especially with the R.
Which is why I (with 30" of inseam on a tall day) almost always straddle the bike and rock it forward off the stand. I'll usually do this with one foot closer to the ground than the other (sliding off the saddle to the side a bit), just because I like the reassurance of touching the ground with one foot as soon as possible, but that's not necessary.

FWIW, I sometimes dispense with all of this, and keep my feet on the pegs and start driving away the instant the wheels hit the ground. :thumb

Which is why I (with 30" of inseam on a tall day) almost always straddle the bike and rock it forward off the stand. I'll usually do this with one foot closer to the ground than the other (sliding off the saddle to the side a bit), just because I like the reassurance of touching the ground with one foot as soon as possible, but that's not necessary.

FWIW, I sometimes dispense with all of this, and keep my feet on the pegs and start driving away the instant the wheels hit the ground. :thumb

Both of the above techniques I do as well on occasion with the R, but when parked in the garage, riding off is not an option. You are very tall at 30", a good 1 1/2" than moi.

In the beginning of owning the bikes I did use the technique of two hands on the handlebars when bouncing the bike off the centre stand but it only took one time with the bike leaning too far to the right to abandon that method.

I agree that this is all about technique.

To put the bike on the centerstand, have the jiffy stand down. Put your right foot on the center stand peg and lower it until it touches the ground. Now, level your bike, all the while pressuring the centerstand, You should feel when the bike is level and both legs of the center stand are on the ground.

Now at this point your right foot should be on the centerstand and both centerstand pegs should be on the ground. Your right hand should be steadying the bike by grasping the bag mount or the OEM side of the bike, your other hand on the handlebar. Now without using pressure from either hand. just put all your weight on the center stand peg. The bike will pop right up.

To get it off. With the jiffy stand down (I know this isn't the proper way but its how I do it.) grasp the handlebar, turn it Left, grasp the rear of the bike and just gently 1, 2, 3, rock the bike off the stand, it should slowly come to rest on the jiffy stand,

Thanks for all the valuable help. I will try the suggestions this weekend. Someone will stand-by to catch the bike if I drop it.

realize that there are 2 potential problems that can result from taking the bike off the c-stand with the sidestand down.
1)- if sidestand hits hard, it can damage stand or mounting point.
2)- if sidestand hits hard, it can bounce bike to right side, away from you, and your ability to keep it upright.

if you have the arm length for it, go with both hands on bars, and use the front brake to steady bike after its back on the wheels.

Putting an R1100RT, R1150RT, or R1200RT on the center stand is a piece of cake. Steady the thing, press down on the center stand, and pull it up with the handle. It is beautifully balanced and comes right up.

If you want a real challenge, but a 1950s R51/3 or R67/3 in its center stand! Now THAT is a challenge even though it weighs 250 pounds less.

My 2005 R1200GS is a gut buster to put on the stand. I weigh 220Lbs and it takes my full weight and a strong tug to get it up on the stand.
Agreed. I also have an '05 R12GS and, for me anyway, its a major PITA to get it on the center stand. I weigh 270 pounds, put my entire weight on the center stand, pull up and back with the left hand on the left grip, and it always takes several attempts before its finally up. And I'm talking about attempts using a fair amount of effort. I've tried putting my right hand on the right grip, on the luggage rack, or anywhere else and its never easier. I've read all the hints and directions and I think I've tried them all. I've always thought that its all technique and I just can't seem to master it, but its somehow comforting to see that somebody else has the same issue.

BTW, I always put it up with the kickstand down. I take it off by straddling the bike with the kickstand up and shifting my weight back and forward until the bike "falls" forward and the center stand pops up. Taking it off the center stand, BTW, has never been an issue.

My 05 GS was a chore if loaded and I was 200 lbs...they relocated/redesigned the centerstand pivots a few model years later as my 07 and now the 09 are a lot easier.

I did add the aftermarket lifting handle on the '05 and it helped a lot,especially if the rear rack was loaded and hard to grab...for me anyways.

Hmmmm....

I never thought of my R12RT as being difficult to raise onto it's center stand. Even with a dead right knee a month or so before it's long overdue replacement - just never was a problem.

Nothing to add here re technique...that was well covered from "The Dean" on down.

If I were you, I'd get thee to the gym and work on leg strength.
And I NEVER have a bike in gear when I roll it off the center stand. I use the ft brake. Last time I checked, replacing pads was a bit cheaper that tranny issues.

As for hard to get on the center stand...my old Honda ST1100...now there was a center stand pig. And to get that old porker up on that caster gizmo that I use to roll my bikes into their garage slots. Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle! Other than that and the massive avoirdupois, what a nice bike....almost as reliable as death and taxes.

Almost forgot....I find the R12RT to be the easiest to handle big touring bike I have ever tried...though the tallness was a real pain until i reached a decent recovery with respect to leg strength.

Just thought I would post this video link that I found. I was really nervous about getting my R12RT onto its center stand when I first got it and I thought this video was helpful in demonstrating a good technique:

YouTube Video

After putting it up a few times, I totally agree that its mostly about using your leg muscles rather than your arms. My BMW salesman used the example of a martial artist "punching through" a solid object. Try to picture the ball of your right foot "driving through" the center stand as you push down into the floor.

As for getting it off the center stand, I prefer to sit on the bike with the tranny in neutral, one finger on the front brake and use my left foot to push it forward off the stand. Once the bike rolls forward and the center stand is up, give the front brake a quick squeeze to keep it from rolling too much and establish your balance before putting the side stand down.

With a little practice, it becomes much easier.

Haven't seen anyone say it but to put the bike on the centerstand be sure your bike is in neutral. You'll hurt yourself if you try it when the bike's in gear.

I never do this, but the motorofficers do. To get the bike off the centerstand just sit on it, start her up and take off in first. Works for the officers. Dealer hates it.

My 05 GS was a chore if loaded and I was 200 lbs...they relocated/redesigned the centerstand pivots a few model years later as my 07 and now the 09 are a lot easier.

I did add the aftermarket lifting handle on the '05 and it helped a lot,especially if the rear rack was loaded and hard to grab...for me anyways.

Just an observation from a guy who has had experience hoisting both the 2006 R1200ST and my current bike a 2005 R1200GS onto their center stands.

The ST was a breeze to put on the center stand, the GS, not so much!

I think the ST designers did a better job of balancing the placement of the stand compared to the 2005, GS folks. Also, the ST had a nice little "hand grip" place in the left side body work to assist lifting during the maneuver. On the GS, the only workable hand hold (6 ft tall, 200 lb.) is the frame rail near the accessory outlet.

Either bike I find it helpful to roll the bike slightly to the rear during the process.

Len

Last edited:
If you have an LT

If you have an LT read the comments above, be sure to wear stiff soled shoes and then call your wife for help.

I never cared for the Reynolds Rideoff stand. Getting it on or off that thing seemed to be a pain. I can easily pop my RT up onto the stock centerstand.

Then to get it off, I sit on the bike and do a quick bounce backward and I am off it. I do miss the solid 'on stand ' feel of the ride off tho....:blush

the F650GS with the factory low frame option has to be the hardest bike i have owned to get on the center stand. without the jesse boxes on the bike i can do it but with the jesses on forget it. i resort to rolling the rear wheel onto a small piece of 2x4 in the garage and then it pops right up. if i park on an incline with the front wheel slightly up hill i can get the bike on the center stand with the jesses on it, but of course it does make it a bit harder to get the bike off the center stand. another trick i found is if you position the bike over a small depression in the ground that too makes it easier. i know my technique is good but i think it is a combination of my light weight (120lbs) short height/legs and the lowered bike all working against me. i have never had a problem getting the bike off the center stand, left hand holding the left grip, right hand on the grab bar by the seat, side stand up and i just pull it off the stand.

+1. I tend the think of it as an elementary physics problem: 1) push the stand down to the pavement with your right foot, then rock it just a little bit to make sure both sides are touching the pavement, 2) hold left handgrip with left hand, and (depending on model) hold, handgrip (R1150RT), luggage rack (R1200RT) with right hand, and finally 3) using the handholds only to guide the motorcycle towards the rear, step down smartly (putting your entire body weight onto it)on the centerstand footpad. I weigh 228#, and my final step (#3) has to be moderated, as otherwise, I'd launch my R1200RT back, and it would fall off the stand. Don't try this barefooted...probably won't work...:D

+1 Just how I do it :thumb

Back