• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ohlins Shocks

nplenzick

I just finished reading an article in the latest issue of Rider Magazine about rebuilding Ohlins shocks. According to the article Ohlins USA recommends servicing every 18-19000 miles or once a year at an approximate price for a BMW pair of shocks of $350.00. Does anyone out there actually do that? I mean I'm going to pay over $2000 for a pair of shocks for my 1200RT and I'm also going to be required to pay $350.00 per year for service? There's no doubt in my mind that Ohlins makes great shocks as I ridden a couple of bikes with them on, but I'm no professional roadracer and it's made me pause as if that's something I would ever want to install on my bike.
I know it's not the same but I just purchase a pair of Koni FSD rear shocks for my diesel pusher motorhome, total price with shipping $340 from Koni. Guaranteed for life, no servicing required. Can't imagine any shock taking more of a pounding then these.
If I was a racer again I would have no problem with the price for a pair of Ohlins and the servicing that would be required, but I gotta tell you, I think I'll look elsewhere when the time comes for me to replace my RT's shocks.

I had about 30,000 on Ohlins on my 1100rt when I sold it. It still rode better than my new 1200rt.
Ohlins will be going on my 1200 at the end of 2010.

Running an Ohlins rear and a Wilbers front on my R11S. like to be redone about every 35K or so- could be done more frequently if i wanted to maximize performance rather than extend rebuld intervals.
Dave http://fixmybike.com/Welcome.html rebuilt mine, you could expect to pay about $200, plus s/h (if necessary) for the pair.

Last edited:
If you talk to the suspension gurus, they say 20-30K miles, dependent on use. In the NE where smooth roads don't exist for more than one winter season, the lower interval might be prudent.

That said it is a service, most places only get $50-$75/shock for disassembly, cleaning inspection and new oil. Most probably don't need much, maybe a seal or bushing which is only a few $$$ more.

That said, I consider the $$ spent on quality suspension the best $$ i have spent on improving the bike.

I just finished reading an article in the latest issue of Rider Magazine about rebuilding Ohlins shocks. According to the article Ohlins USA recommends servicing every 18-19000 miles or once a year at an approximate price for a BMW pair of shocks of $350.00. Does anyone out there actually do that? I mean I'm going to pay over $2000 for a pair of shocks for my 1200RT and I'm also going to be required to pay $350.00 per year for service? There's no doubt in my mind that Ohlins makes great shocks as I ridden a couple of bikes with them on, but I'm no professional roadracer and it's made me pause as if that's something I would ever want to install on my bike.
I know it's not the same but I just purchase a pair of Koni FSD rear shocks for my diesel pusher motorhome, total price with shipping $340 from Koni. Guaranteed for life, no servicing required. Can't imagine any shock taking more of a pounding then these.
If I was a racer again I would have no problem with the price for a pair of Ohlins and the servicing that would be required, but I gotta tell you, I think I'll look elsewhere when the time comes for me to replace my RT's shocks.

The list price for shocks for my 97 RT is Front: $453.95 and Rear $963.79. If you find a dealer selling them for $350 for the pair, please let me know. :wave

read that again Sibud- that $350 was for the price of servicing a set of Ollies, by Ohlins, not the price of purchasing anything other than parts & labor.
My guy Dave said he's currently about $100 per shock for him to do them.

read that again Sibud- that $350 was for the price of servicing a set of Ollies, by Ohlins, not the price of purchasing anything other than parts & labor.
My guy Dave said he's currently about $100 per shock for him to do them.

I did read it again. The OP said "I just finished reading an article in the latest issue of Rider Magazine about rebuilding Ohlins shocks. According to the article Ohlins USA recommends servicing every 18-19000 miles or once a year at an approximate price for a BMW pair of shocks of $350.00."
Emphasis added

He was comparing the service cost to buying a new pair of BMW shocks at the rate of $350.00 for a pair. BMW shocks can not be serviced so he had to be talking purchase price.

I was only pointing out that one can not buy a pair of BMW shocks for $350. The front shock alone is much more than that.

So the $350 per pair Ohlin service seems like a bargain to me.

YMMV

I did read it again. The OP said "I just finished reading an article in the latest issue of Rider Magazine about rebuilding Ohlins shocks. According to the article Ohlins USA recommends servicing every 18-19000 miles or once a year at an approximate price for a BMW pair of shocks of $350.00."
[/COLOR] Emphasis added

He was comparing the service cost to buying a new pair of BMW shocks at the rate of $350.00 for a pair. BMW shocks can not be serviced so he had to be talking purchase price.

I was only pointing out that one can not buy a pair of BMW shocks for $350. The front shock alone is much more than that.

So the $350 per pair Ohlin service seems like a bargain to me.

YMMV

dude, you are still wrong. try my red highlights as a sentence. now, think "pair of BMW shocks" means "a pari of Ohlins mounted upon a BMW motorcycle"

why would Ohlins be discussing rebuilding of BMW shocks?

i do agree with you on the idea of buying Ollies (or Wilbers or Bitubos or Penskes or HyperPros or or or ....) and paying for annual or biannual rebuilds over getting another set of stock suspenders. the ride and control is so far beyond stock that it is jsut reeedickulous.

dude, you are still wrong. try my red highlights as a sentence. now, think "pair of BMW shocks" means "a pari of Ohlins mounted upon a BMW motorcycle"

why would Ohlins be discussing rebuilding of BMW shocks?

i do agree with you on the idea of buying Ollies (or Wilbers or Bitubos or Penskes or HyperPros or or or ....) and paying for annual or biannual rebuilds over getting another set of stock suspenders. the ride and control is so far beyond stock that it is jsut reeedickulous.

I stand corrected. :wave

A major issue with the high end aluminum bodied shocks is their wear rate, it sucks. The aluminum body makes for great heat dissipation, but you pay the price in shock life. This is why I think (others may know better than me) that if you are going on an expidition you might be better off taking the stock steel shocks than the Ohlins.

Just to clarify
$350.00 is an approximate price to service a pair of Ohlins for a BMW as per the Rider article.
I fully understand that their great shocks as I mentioned in OP
It's the service that their saying that's required that bothers me.
It appears that of the people responding that their not servicing their shocks as per this article per Ohlins, once a year or 18,000 miles.
This just seems excessive to me for a street bike.

A major issue with the high end aluminum bodied shocks is their wear rate, it sucks. The aluminum body makes for great heat dissipation, but you pay the price in shock life. This is why I think (others may know better than me) that if you are going on an expidition you might be better off taking the stock steel shocks than the Ohlins.

At the price of these shocks I would be surprised that they do have some sort of Nikasil plating or such to help protect from the wear you mentioned.

I read it and understood it the same way Bud did. maybe we're just getting old...:violin

I'm getting old Kenny but you are not. You have got to start hanging out with a younger crowd so you don't end up that way as well.:wave

now here's something for all your great minds to ponder over. my front end on my RT felt weak. I figgered it wouldn't be long before I had to spring (no pun intended) for new shocks. then I noticed oil on my left fork tube. (seal leaking) I pulled the front end apart and replaced the seals in both forks. I also replaced the fork oil.... but I put 15w in instead of the 10w that was put in at the factory. The front end feels like new again. great rebound and great dampening. I doubt this front end had ever been apart since it was built in 1999. moral of this story... change your fork oil every couple of years....:thumb

now here's something for all your great minds to ponder over. my front end on my RT felt weak. I figgered it wouldn't be long before I had to spring (no pun intended) for new shocks. then I noticed oil on my left fork tube. (seal leaking) I pulled the front end apart and replaced the seals in both forks. I also replaced the fork oil.... but I put 15w in instead of the 10w that was put in at the factory. The front end feels like new again. great rebound and great dampening. I doubt this front end had ever been apart since it was built in 1999. moral of this story... change your fork oil every couple of years....:thumb

that's surprising to hear, as i am sure you're aware that the oil in the fork tubes on a Telelever front end is there purely for lubrication purposes; all suspension duties are handled by the shock.

Back