• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

accident video... a good reminder...

I bet there was an exit not shown in the view and he was working his way over.

I don't understand why people blocked all the lanes. It's great that a few people stopped in front of him to protect him from being run over, and others can stop to help, but pull off the road. People blocked the entire freeway, every lane. You can see some drive around to move on. No wonder any minor accident (not calling this one minor) causes such a traffic jam!

If you stop, don't block the road!

Wow. I'm surprised to see that many people that stopped for him.

(Why would he switch lanes right there anyway? All that merging traffic to deal with..)
He may have realized his chaps were starting to rub or drag on his rear wheel and was trying to get to the shoulder asap! Obviously not ASAP enough!

It was reassuring to see that so many stopped and blocked oncoming traffic from running over the motorcyclist. After watching this several times, I kept asking why the rider chose to change lanes at a point where so many vehicles were merging onto the freeway. Even if there was an exit lane that he/she needed near where the video was being shot, skipping this exit for the next one and doubling back, in hindsight would have been the better decision. :banghead

Unfortunately it is a reminder that one lapse in good decision making on a bike can have severe consequences. No matter how careful and aware we are, either in or on a vehicle, and or how many times we attempt to anticipate dangerous situations, things sometimes happen. I really hope that the rider escaped with only very minor injuries.

The chaps were given to me. They were a little to big, but I did not think it was a big deal. The flapping (cause they were to big) caused the zipper to ride up. I started to pull over the moment they came apart. They flew back and got caught wound up between the rear brake rotor and the frame.

Wow!

Shock and Dismay! Is there supposed to be a difference between protective motorcycle gear and an outfit for playing cowboy?

I've always wore chaps, but in the correct size. also I wear the ones with snaps at the bottom so they can't come unzipped. but I'm getting ready to change to the Lizard Legs. the material, design and ease they can be put on and removed has sold me...

My guess is that he was somewhat inexperienced and got spooked by the merging cars and stomped his rear brake, let off, stomped it again which brought the bikes rear end around. That scared him so he let off the brake while the bike was sliding which caused the high-side. The MSF Basic Rider Course teaches the danger of that. :nono In any case, he became totally discombobulated and made a bad decision or two.

Either that, or his final drive locked up. :bolt

What kind of bike was he riding? in the Video I couldn't make it out. did I miss something somewhere?

Read through the comments on the YouTube link. The guy tells what kind of bike (Victory), and that the chaps were freebies that were too big, and he was headed for the shoulder when the leg wrapped up in the brake rotor, yada-yada...

Back