• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

electronic devises

Has anyone set up a system to charge electronic devises on the bike? My cell has a cord to plug into a cigar lighter, my MP3 has a USB cord. Is there any way that I can recharge these from by bike (stock 600cc US)

I guess I need to reword.

Is there any problems just wiring up a auto type cigar lighter socket to bike to charge cell or will the lower voltage of the 600 be a problem?

Is there any way to charge a MP3 from a bike? (USB cord)

I use a powerlet socket wired into my tankbag to charge my assortment of battery operated electronics.

Has anyone set up a system to charge electronic devises on the bike? My cell has a cord to plug into a cigar lighter, my MP3 has a USB cord. Is there any way that I can recharge these from by bike (stock 600cc US)

Powerlet to Cig Lighter Adapter will take care of your cell phone. Then get something like this (found by googling usb power adapter)

Is there any problems just wiring up a auto type cigar lighter socket to bike to charge cell or will the lower voltage of the 600 be a problem?

The size of the bike has nothing to do with it; you either have a 6 or 12 volt system...in your case, you have a 12V system.

Just wire in a cigarette lighter to the battery terminals. I got mine at radio Shack.

See that thing held on to the bottom of my instrument panel using 3M Dual Lock? That is my cigarette lighter that powers my GPS, charges my cell phone, etc.

148883087_juvRT-M-1.jpg

To power your USB, get a cigarette lighter plug with a USB slot in the end available at GPS City.

zipusbdcpow.jpg

Global Rider by lower voltage on the 600 I did mean 6V my 900 is 12V. (Because they are so rare that I forgot they made 600cc /5 and /6) I have used a simular set up, for cell, on the ole 900 and was wondering if it would hurt electronics with the 600 being lower (6V or 1/2) voltage. Haven't charged MP3 on either yet.

Global Rider by lower voltage on the 600 I did mean 6V my 900 is 12V. (Because they are so rare that I forgot they made 600cc /5 and /6) I have used a simular set up, for cell, on the ole 900 and was wondering if it would hurt electronics with the 600 being lower (6V or 1/2) voltage. Haven't charged MP3 on either yet.

I have a BMW 24 inch adapter with a BMW Accessory Plug on one end and the a cigarette lighter socket on the other end. They also make a shorter version of the same thing. I use it to charge my 2 cell phones at the same time using a $3 adapter from an auto parts store that has a cigarette lighter plug with 2 wires coming out of it and a cigarette lighter socket on each wire. It only takes about an hour to charge both up to full charge, so I do this while sitting around the campfire just before turning in. You will need to get a USB car adapter, available cheaply on the internet.

doing a quick search it looks like most cell phones, ipods, etc actually use 5 volts for charging, (at least thru the USB port) not 12 so the 12 volt changing adpters for cig lighters actually step down the voltage. Depending on how they do it (solid state or transformer coil) it *should* work. Perhaps a bit slower. I think that is what you were asking? Also perhaps the question of whether it will drain the battery? With a good charge I shouldn't think so, those devices use very little amperage, and that is what would drain the battery, not voltage per se, if I remember my electrical theroy right.

RM

I use a powerlet socket wired into my tankbag to charge my assortment of battery operated electronics.

I do the same as Ed.

I have a fused SAE plug coming off the battery (use this connection for battery charging- off season). I put together an adapter that plugs into the SAE plug, goes thru the electric pass port into my tank bag and it terminates as a female cigarette outlet. There I can plug in the cell phone charger, iPod charger or intercom charger- This year I want to get a triple outlet adapter so I can charge all 3 at once.

You have PLENTY of "juice" to run any small charger/adapter.

Good luck.

John

Back