• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Planning a Big Bend trip from the West March 2010

ljjohns

I abashedly must confess that I've been living in El Paso since 1972 and have never gotten off south of I-10 past Sierra Vista.

Now, in my advanced stage of life, I've committed to organizing a five day ride starting and ending in El Paso through Big Bend country; I'm reciprocating for the rides my Northwest friends have organized up there for the last several years. We'll be doing this during the 3rd week of March (UTEPs spring break).

This is a bunch of tourer/sport tourer riders (no off-road). We'll leave El Paso on the morning of day one and return on the evening of day five--or so the concept goes. Usually, the group is comfortable with 2-300 mile daily rides; can exceed that a bit when/if we have to get someplace on the slab.

I've checked this topic; I've captured Voni's links and will check them out in more detail. So far, I've only identified a few probables: McDonald Observatory, Marfa, Alpine (either on the way down or back) as well as Big Bend itself. Felicity was a park service employee down there in the early 80's (her ex was a Customs officer) and she'll be useful in validating stuff worth seeing in the park, but not expert in what would be good rides.

At this point, I'd appreciate any suggestions, hints, or general advice.

Thanks.

Larry Johnson
K1200LT

River Road from Presidio into the park is pretty cool. Watch out for the cows...you may find them in the middle of the road at any time.

Marfa Lights

Catch the Marfa Lights if you can. Lots of interesting stories about them on the Internet.

Bob Schrader
K1200LT

Think I'm getting a handle on this. The group members haven't been to Carlsbad Caverns and we could do that on day 1 and still get to Fort Stockton for a RON.
It's a 120 miles down to the BBNP and so we can spend at least two days riding down there, heading back up to Alpine or Marfa for another RON, hitting Fort Davis and McDonald someplace in there. And then back on the slab from Balmorea to Sierra Blanca and then a ride on the back roads along the Rio back to El Paso. Have more details to work out, but since everyone but me has already been there, I've found a lot of information.

Thanks for your help.

Back