• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Roundel Patches, jeesh

Roundels

Using the example in one of the posts above, letting dealers or licensees create bomber jackets with giant BMW logos on the back would most definitely run 180-degrees contrary to what maintaining their brand personality would dictate. For HD, these jackets would likely enhance their desirable bad-boy, biker gang overtones, but for BMW, it would be like dragging their exclusive brand through the muck of a dirty back alley.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, BMW itself is altering its "brand personality", what with a variety of
bikes that range now from roadster to crotch rocket. The way I see it is, they
just want all the cake not a piece of it.:bow

What now appears to be happening, is a push for more mainstream products,
that I feel are "not" exclusive anymore, with faltering build quality and reliability.:cry

As far as HD enhancing their so called "desirable bad boy, biker gang overtones"
you need to look at their current demographics, which are far more likely to reveal
business men over 45 and women who like the "look".:brow

As a loyal BMW owner I don't appreciate slamming other manufactuers, to make
me feel better about my choice of ride, because I too have owned HD,Yamaha,
Suzuki, all very good rides in "their " own way.:nono

I disagree, BMW itself is altering its "brand personality", what with a variety of bikes that range now from roadster to crotch rocket.
Yes, they are strategically altering their brand's personality by addressing the changing demographic make-up of potential customers, but that's the point I was making. To do so effectively and make the shift in the direction they want it to head, they have to keep control of their brand.

As a loyal BMW owner I don't appreciate slamming other manufactuers, to make me feel better about my choice of ride, because I too have owned HD,Yamaha, Suzuki, all very good rides in "their " own way.:nono
I didn't notice anyone slamming brands in this thread; I know that I certainly didn't. I was simply talking about marketing strategies and how brand identity and personality are important factors in those strategies. Harley Davidson and BMW have nearly polar opposite brand images, and each occupies a lucrative and successful niche in the overall market. When it comes right down to it, HD has run one of the most brilliant marketing campaigns of the past 50 years by creating a brand personality that taps directly into the emotions and fantasies of a huge customer base.

Last edited:
Headed for the International Motorcycle Show next weekend in Chicago.

They have always had a 'patch & sticker vendor' there with some BMW patches and assorted items bearing the logo.

Perhaps this year, I'll buy out a healthy portion of his stock, so I'm set for years to come!! :whistle

I was a Porsche tech for 30 years before retiring. At one of the independent repair shops I worked at for many years had a sign on the front of the building that had the company name and identified as a service shop and a Porsche crest and had been on the building for at least 10 years, we had a good service business, sold alot of parts and acessories. One day two suits walked in, said they represented Porsche NA. that we had to remove the Porsche crest from our sign and had 30 days to comply or we would be sued. The sign could say we serviced Porsches but could not use the logo. We found out later that it was one of the local dealers complained, one that we bought $50 to $100k in OE parts from every year, needless to say that stoped. I do understand the protected use of their logos, but in this case I think it hurt more than it helped. The dealer that complained is no longer with us, the independant that I worked for is still doing just fine. I once told the GM of the dealership quit bitching about the independants and take care of your customers if you did we could not exsist.

Ken G.

rule one in customer service;;; If you don't take care of your customers someone else will.. As for the patches, I've bought some off ebay over the years, foreign made, the store changes names everyother week or so, very good quality, fast service, no problems...

hmm about the HD riders and the bad boy image because they wear the *colors* of HD branding..
If we cant get the BMW logos to do it, maybe we can fester the Vespa groups out there to wear their logos and watch the fights with the HD guys..

SOrta like watching Blazing saddles when they break through the studios near the end.....

and we would be... SIpping on coffee of course watching.......:bottle

Back