• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Weak-seeming starter

BILLDENNES

200,000 BMW miles so far
Problem fixed! Here's how

I checked all of the battery connections and found one that would tighten about a quarter-turn.

Now the symptom is limited to slow starter speed for the first half-second, sometimes. Always works on the second try.

:+)

Bill - you may want to have the dealer do a battery load test.

I had a poor starting condition and all my connections were tight.

When they did a load test the battery was at 55% capacity and this was after it was on the BMW Charger over night and a 1 hour drive at highway speeds to the dealer.

The battery was covered under warranty.

The resistance of copper in the motor increases 20% for every 100 F, so the motor is not as powerful when it is hot. The battery usually makes up for that. Sounds like a weak battery/bad connection, then when the Hot starter motor needs a bit more voltage, the battery can not supply it.

Rod

Back