Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Motorcycle Consumer News

Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    It means that the competitive buying process and the bottomed-out market for motorcycle hardware allows a volume buyer like a police department to command a much lower price than you do, as one person.

To participate, all you have to do is write a detailed specification in legalese, advertise that you're going to buy N bikes at one time (N being a number greater than, say, 10-100), and show the financial strength to actually buy all those bikes. Put it out to competitive bid, all over your State.

You will probably be cantractually required to purchase the bikes from the low bidder - all of them. After you send your check for N times the low bid price, just sell N-1 of the bikes to others, and go ride the one left.

Oh, and don't be too surprised if your spec. was written for a particular BMW, but you end up with N Suzukis, or Hondas.

Let me know how that works for you.

Jim
    Actually Jim, its simply means that the KZ1000P is built to a price point and the quality of said bike reflects that. ie: cheap.
    2013 Goldwing

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    Actually Jim, its simply means that the KZ1000P is built to a price point and the quality of said bike reflects that. ie: cheap.
    Or that BMW charges by willingness to pay

Keep in mind KZ1000P development and tooling paid for itself a long ago, keeping production costs minimal. Kind of like airheads did, except the price of those kept going up. I guess BMW had big windows...
    Last edited by 108625; 02-02-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    Or that BMW charges by willingness to pay

Keep in mind KZ1000P development and tooling paid for itself a long ago, keeping production costs minimal. Kind of like airheads did, except the price of those kept going up. I guess BMW had big windows...
    Yes, I remember those days of the late 70s and early 80s. I bought my first house in 1983. Got one of those new fangled ARM loans, too. 11% interest rate to start, capped at 16%. I'm sure that inflation rates like that had NOTHING AT ALL to do with why BMWs got more expensive each year, in that period.

It's also the case that BMW did continuously upgrade the Airhead design, unlike the completely static KZ1000P. New charging system in 1974 along with disk brakes, bigger engines; bigger engines again in 1977, along with two integrated fairing systems; electronic ignition and nikasil cylinders in 1981; single sided swingarm in 1985.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com