• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Top Yoke Compass?

S

SNC1923

I've seen a thermometer (made by Wunderlich?) for the top yoke of a BMW motorcycle. I have a pretty good idea what the ambient temperature is, but I sometimes want a slightly more accurate idea of which direction I'm heading than using the sun. . . .

Has anyone seen a compass that can be mounted in the hole in the top yoke of an RT?

As a general rule, most compasses (compi?) don't like to work too well when in close proximity to a few hundred pounds of metal, not to mention being attached to them. Head to your local REI and buy yourself a basic hikers compass and toss it in your bag. Other good trick that I use when Mtn biking is to just wear it around your neck on the lanyard.. pull it and the map out when you need to do a location check.

RW

As long as you remain upright (or at least mostly) and are traveling Forward then you're headed in the right direction!:bliss
What else is there to know?
RM

why use a compass when a big fancy GPS with auto-routing will do the same job for hundreds more? im confused, youre missing a huge gadget opportunity here! ;)

username said:
why use a compass when a big fancy GPS with auto-routing will do the same job for hundreds more? im confused, youre missing a huge gadget opportunity here! ;)

Right & don't get one of those $200.00 jobs go for the $1,500.00 job. That is the ticket I am tellin ya... :wow

username said:

I thought a compass was that thing that you used to draw circles. How can you tell where are you going. :stick

Actually I have a cheapie one that did not work too well in the tank bag. I would recommend Riderwearhouse cause if your compass doesn't work they have a good return policy.

BradfordBenn said:
I thought a compass was that thing that you used to draw circles. How can you tell where are you going. :stick

Actually I have a cheapie one that did not work too well in the tank bag. I would recommend Riderwearhouse cause if your compass doesn't work they have a good return policy.

free shipping too. :D

gambrinus said:
As a general rule, most compasses (compi?) don't like to work too well when in close proximity to a few hundred pounds of metal, not to mention being attached to them. Head to your local REI and buy yourself a basic hikers compass and toss it in your bag. Other good trick that I use when Mtn biking is to just wear it around your neck on the lanyard.. pull it and the map out when you need to do a location check.

RW

What he said. I've got a $10 compass that's survived the past 6 years of riding just fine. You can find them at any sporting good store or large department store (e.g. Kmart). I won't satisfy the gadget urge, but it works.

SNC 1923 said:
I've seen a thermometer (made by Wunderlich?) for the top yoke of a BMW motorcycle. I have a pretty good idea what the ambient temperature is, but I sometimes want a slightly more accurate idea of which direction I'm heading than using the sun. . . .

Has anyone seen a compass that can be mounted in the hole in the top yoke of an RT?
As others have said, a GPS works great. In reality, are you really going to need to read a compass while riding? You probably have a pretty good idea of your direction anyway.
That being said, I use one of these little compass/thermometer keychain things from Coleman. $2.00!
I just pull it out of my pocket and to check direction if necessary. Plus, it gives me a good idea of the temperature in my pocket.

Okay, okay. . . . so it was a dumb question. Sheesh.

I remember walking through my dealer's parking lot oggling all the beemers and noticed a top yoke thermometer. It seemed like a cool accessory and thought to myself "that would be a great spot for a compass."

Of course, it didn't occur to me that a compass should be level, and being magnetic in nature, far away from any steel. :dunno I'm a dork; what are you going to do?

I generally don't need to know the direction, and do rely on the sun for directions (it's quite reliable). I really wanted it because it drives me crazy when I'm riding down a major north/south artery like the 101, heading directly into the morning sun. How can I be going east?

I know freeways meander to accomodate topography, but I just wanted some gauge to let me know precisely which direction. I bought a cool one in Hawaii last year (where I rented a Road King and rode to Hana); I think I'll try tucking one into my map case and see if that works. :D

Rider Wearhouse Handlebar Compass

I'm going to get the little compass that clips onto the bars for Christmas. I thought about a GPS myself, but generally I'm following indirect routes, so having something that gives me the most DIRECT route isn't usefull. However, having something that tells me N-S-E-W would be useful. I have, by the way, seen the Wunderlicht thermometer and thought about buying it but my tank bag blocks the top yoke... Riderwearhouse has a dandy thermometer for me to for the handlebar.

Wow Matt, you are missing out if you think a GPS just gives the most direct route. You can configure them to to go where ever you want. It will avoid highways, and if you get lost, it will direct you to any waypoint you choose. You can keep track of your milage, average speed, High speed and stuff I am still learning it will do. A GPS is more than a toy for me, I use it to find new addresses when going places for work. It can break up the boredom when flying too. :D

Attachments

• gps at 4 corners.jpg
    gps at 4 corners.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 116
Back