• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wheel Bearing Seal Replacement Interval?

barron_williams

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
I'm like a one trick pony lately because I've been focused on greasing the wheel bearings myself rather than my usual stunt of having the dealer do it during tire replacement.

Thanks to last week's thread, I got the disassembly figured out (front and rear) and ordered the "gizmo" from Cycle Works to get grease into the one bearing that is trapped on the spline side of my rear wheel hub.

Any opinions on how often the seals need to be replaced? They are $15 apiece, so that is $50 if you include $5 for the gasket that goes under the cover (rear hub, opposite from the spline side, held on by five bolts).

If they are not leaking grease (out) and it doesn't look like water is getting in (to the bearings), don't bother replacing (check again next tire change); or, change them regardless?

Barron

i'd vote with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". the job of a seal is to seal. if it's doing it's job, why fire it, just to hire another one just like it to do the same job the last one was doing?

I believe that the official policy is that these be replaced EVERY time that they are removed.

The official factory policy is to make money and lots of it!! LOL Normally, I'd be the OCD kinda guy that would replace them every time. However, $15 a pop is stupid. I had the same question for my shop, and they said don't bother unless they leak or are damaged. It would be different if the dern things were five bucks a crack or less, but they ain't all that hard to replace, at least on my bike...

i'd vote with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". the job of a seal is to seal. if it's doing it's job, why fire it, just to hire another one just like it to do the same job the last one was doing?

I agree. You're gaining nothing if you're replacing good with good.

I clean and check mine, but also keep a new set stored on the bike.

Back