• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Need Lake Superior circle tour suggestions

redclfco

We are putting together a circle tour ride for July, and even though homework is being done and I am beginning to get a feel for the loop and where we are going, I am always looking for first hand suggestions as to good food great affordable places within a footprint of great food...did I hgappen to mention that I am looking for great food?:D

Seriously though, any and all suggestions, comments or WARNINGS are welcome!

Red

I took the circle ride in fall of 07 on my old R1200 CL. The restaurant in the photo was not much to look at from the outside, but inside was a real delight. White table cloths and napkins, classical music in the background and the river shot was the view out the back window. And the food was great, even though it was only lunch. Now, all I have to do is remember where it is! I'll do some digging and get back to you.

Attachments

• 100_0779.jpg
    100_0779.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 319
106 17 Hwy, Wawa, ON P0S 1K0 ????
Yep, that's it Wezul. Looks as though it's now called Best Northern Motel. I only stopped there for lunch, but if it's anything like it was back in '07, make the stop. It's north of Sault Ste Marie.

I had no idea I signed up for guided tour, WB (B for Bruce):D You've been this route before?

Nah, it's this new fangled thing called Google.
I read the sign on the restaurant, typed the name into this Google thing and . . . I mean, it's really cool. :ha

We'll have to keep this one in mind as a possible.
Thanks, Karen!

We'll have to keep this one in mind as a possible.
Thanks, Karen!

x2 :thumb Thanks Karen!

So much of what is out there for eats and beds for the circle is set up for the HD crowd, which is exactly what I want to miss! I mean really; one guide book I read said, ONLY ride in groups, because there may be spots of 150 miles with no one around to fix da bike...oh dear o dear!

I'm glad we are planning early here...

I did it from Hastings around the lake in 2006. A great ride, about 1500 miles in 5 days. It was terrific but the best part was the few miles from Grand Marais to the Canadian border. Very nice country.

Did the tour last June, send me a PM and I will dig out some of the info from our adventure.
:buds

I did the tour on a weekend back in '89 when it was called something else. Stayed in Wawa overnight, place with a loon on the roof. Did the trip in July, woke up to frost on the bike. I suggest stopping to enjoy the scenery.

I did the tour on a weekend back in '89 when it was called something else. Stayed in Wawa overnight, place with a loon on the roof. Did the trip in July, woke up to frost on the bike. I suggest stopping to enjoy the scenery.

Now that we have Global Warming no need to be concerned about frost ever here in Minnesota and never in July in Canada anymore either.

The decision is made to B&B the trip.

Well, I had some good camping areas to suggest, but no B&B's. Still, I would like to suggest you make a stop and check out Aguasabon Falls, near Terrace Bay, ON. If you are travelling west to east on HWY 17 in Canada, there is a white sign with red lettering that says "Waterfall" with an arrow on the right side of the road. There is a short service road (maybe 1km or less and it's paved and curvy) that leads back to it - very easy to get to. The waterfall drops into a canyon and runs straight out to Lake Superior (visible in the distance).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KN7JueR6GUo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KN7JueR6GUo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well, I had some good camping areas to suggest, but no B&B's. Still, I would like to suggest you make a stop and check out Aguasabon Falls, near Terrace Bay, ON. If you are travelling west to east on HWY 17 in Canada, there is a white sign with red lettering that says "Waterfall" with an arrow on the right side of the road. There is a short service road (maybe 1km or less and it's paved and curvy) that leads back to it - very easy to get to. The waterfall drops into a canyon and runs straight out to Lake Superior (visible in the distance).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KN7JueR6GUo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KN7JueR6GUo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is the kind of stuff I was looking for! Thanks Josh! We will be going through mid July...

Circle tour

The Willows Inn B&B in Rossport, ON. Very nice and reasonably priced. Good restaurant next door - Serendipity Garden Cafe and Guest House. Their guest house is a few blocks away from the cafe but very nice as well. Don't know about pricing at the guest house. The Willows Inn let us put the bikes in their garage for the night.

Wawa Motor Inn in Wawa. Nice restaurant and lounge. Typical hotel room. As I recall, resonable with regard to cost. You can park the bike outside your door.

We stayed at Fitger's in Duluth the last night for $100. Huge room and Duluth is a fun place, but that may be too close to home for you.

Don

Back