• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Opinion wanted on Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 jacket

briana

I'm looking for a new 3/4 length waterproof jacket. I don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars. The Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0. can be had at newenough for about $140. Webbikeworld gave it a great review.

Brian

I'm looking for a new 3/4 length waterproof jacket. I don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars. The Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0. can be had at newenough for about $140. Webbikeworld gave it a great review.

Brian

I like the Joe Rocket line, and have the Ballistic 5.0 Riding Pants (no longer in production - replaced by the '7' series).

But for a 3/4 length jacket with tons of features, and many choices of high-vis colors, the Tourmaster Transition 2 is hard to beat.

Have had one for several years, and it's kept me warm, cool, dry and visible.

Just ordered a newer one (High-vis Yellow) from New Enough for around $170.

Just my opinion, but really love this garment. Check out all its features on the NewEnough.com web site!

http://www.newenough.com/protective...ition_series_2_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

Last edited:
Newenough also had some really good deals on the Firstgear Kilimanjaro as well. Limited colors, but I think they were going for $139.

It's been my experience that Joe Rocket is pretty decent gear.

Brian

I can't tell if a jacket will work or not until I try it on. New Enough has a great return policy.

Newenough also had some really good deals on the Firstgear Kilimanjaro as well. Limited colors, but I think they were going for $139.

It's been my experience that Joe Rocket is pretty decent gear.

I had actually sent for the Kilimanjaro Jacket (It's in a Sand/Grey color scheme only at that price), thinking I would like it.

But it does not cinch tight at its lowest edge, like the Tourmaster Transition does (which has velcro pull straps, so you can adjust how snug it is at the very bottom, which is a nice feature on cooler rides).

So I sent it back - they have an excellent staff and a very workable return policy.

Like doing business with them!

I have the Joe Rocket ballistic 3/4 jacket and also have the pants. Well made, comfortable and the price is right. Put on a gerbings vest and you are good to go.

I like the Kilimanjaro but they are all out of the smaller sizes.

Brian

What size of Kilimanjaro jacket are you looking for... I have a medium that has been worn some but not a lot. It is just a little to small for me and the wife got me a large for christmas.
I believe it is a 2008 or 2009 model i bought it last winter.

Peter in OKC, OK

I have a Joe Rocket that I've used for 3 or 4 years, and it's fine. I've been through some heavy rains, and it's worked great. Good jacket for the money.

I have used Joe Rocket Ballistic jackets for the last 10 years and really like them.
Pro:
Good rain protection
Many features / pockets
Great price point
Tall sizes
Decent ventilation
Good removable liner
Cons:
They are a little heavier than the competition.
Tall sizes are only available in black

In ÔÇÖ02 I had the opportunity to crash test the Ballistic 3.0 (?). The armor did its job very well. The jacket body did an excellent job protecting from road rash.

I have lost a bunch of weight and will be in the market for a new jacket this year. I have not started looking yet but my first stop will be to see the new Ballistic. You may find other jackets that fit you better, have a feature you want etc. but I have no problem recommending anyone consider the Ballistic series of jackets. One big bang for the buck.

Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0

I bought the Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 jacket a little over a year ago. I also have a Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0. I really liked the style and the features of the 7.0, and is says that it is waterproof.

There is waterproof, and then there is Joe Rocket water proof. I was very disappointed in the ability of the 7.0 to keep me dry.

I plan to put an ad for the 7.0 on Craig's List once the weather warms up here in the north country. I have replaced it with a First Gear Rainier, (SP). I haven't had the First Gear jacket in the rain yet, but people that I know have them and claim that they are waterproof.

I hope this helps.

Vintage90

I have a Joe Rocket Atomic 3.0 that I like well enough. I bought it from a local dealer and he told me that it is waterproof, but he did not recommend it for riding in a hard rain. I have ridden in light rain without issues, but I use a rain suit in heavy rain. The rain suit is also good wind protection when the weather is cold. I rode half a day in a hard rain last August and you would think that you would not need to worry about staying warm in August, but rain can make it cold any time of year. Got really cold riding in 50 degree weather in September and decided to go with Gerbing Jacket Liner, G3 Gloves, Pants Liner and Dual Controller.

Some senior riders I met at rallys told me they carry their Gerbing gear with them year 'round because it can get cold in the early morning, or in the rain, or at high altitudes even in the middle of the summer. I think that is good advice. If you are less than totally comfortable, it is a distraction, and you get in too much of a hurry to get where you are going. Stay warm, take your time, and ride safe.

Briain- i have some earlier model jackets (several manufacturers) that i've picked up on closeout that i keep around for BRC students want to get something good for not much $. I have a few choices in Medium, and a Large or 2 as well.
pm me if you're still in need.

Back