• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT engine noise

I can't tell...too much wind noise. Hopefully you can get it in to the dealer. It's a good excuse to hang out there for a while, enjoy the company of other riders, and shop for farkles and gear, if nothing else.:bikes

It's hard to distinguish wind buffeting from knock type noise, but I think I hear what you are referring to. Engine sounds nice, real nice.

If there's a problem, maybe drive shaft or final drive? Put it on the center stand try and rock the wheel back and forth (side to side, not in the direction of revolution). There should be no play you can discern by hand. Then, in gear, rotate the wheel back and forth, noticing the play in the shaft. It should rotate about 1 3/4 inches back and forth.

Is anything loose and just knocking around? I'd take the seats off and start pushing and pulling everything looking for something rattling.

Finally, go for a ride without a trunk or bags. I had a loose side case that rattled and made me think my final drive was going out, but it was just loose and needed an adjustment.

Before my RT was "reprogrammed" at idle it would start the predetonating sounding noise about a minute after starting it cold , intermittantly. Under riding load , it was sounding the worst up to a speed 40-45, when the road noise / wind noise then overwhelmed it. Also it was doing about 32 mpg. Down at the national rally in TN. , idling around the rally , it was so noticeable , people were turning around frowning like "what the?" I heard no other R1200 engines doing that, and I took a test ride on a factory test ride R1200RT with my wife on it to be as close of conditions as mine is being ridden and that one was running without that noise and would take the gas better , generally ran very sweet, despite all the test riders beating on it. I 'm thinking , this is great, WHY DOESN"T MINE RUN LIKE THIS ? Lemon?

This isn't intended as a "Sweep the dirt under the rug" type solution, but you might want to consider wearing ear plugs for a whole lot of good reasons. Culturally speaking guys coming over from the cruiser world tend not to use them. I don't doubt you're indeed hearing something, but the valves can be a bit noisy on the boxer engine and you can drive yourself crazy listening to all that chatter with no plugs.

With plugs in you hear what you need to hear including problems with the engine, but you eliminate valve noise at least. Aside from that, you'll get a much more focused and relaxing ride not to mention protecting your hearing from constant wind noise.

This isn't intended as a "Sweep the dirt under the rug" type solution, but you might want to consider wearing ear plugs for a whole lot of good reasons. Culturally speaking guys coming over from the cruiser world tend not to use them. I don't doubt you're indeed hearing something, but the valves can be a bit noisy on the boxer engine and you can drive yourself crazy listening to all that chatter with no plugs.

With plugs in you hear what you need to hear including problems with the engine, but you eliminate valve noise at least. Aside from that, you'll get a much more focused and relaxing ride not to mention protecting your hearing from constant wind noise.

+1:ear

I took the bike into the dealer this morning. they were very helpful. One of the techs took it for a ride. He came back and said he heard what I was hearing. Said it was noticeable where I noticed it, he also had a big smile and said it ran strong and the engine sounded normal. He diagnosed the noise as pinging and said that the engine has to ping or knock before the computer can react to it and suppress it.

I also took the demonstrator out and rode it. I detected the same pinging in the same range as my RT, although it did seem to do it slightly less.

So after all this I've determined that I need to just ride the bike and not worry about it.

Thanks to all of you for your input and support in this matter.

Jerry

Octane...that's a question I got from the tech at the dealer as well. I only put Premium in it (91 octane) (same as my BMW car). I try to put Shell or Chevron in it mostly, however I think I'm gonna try only using Chevron Supreme for a while.

I've been averaging 100 miles a day since I picked it up two weeks ago, but I think I do need to ride it more.

Remembering what SVSutton related to me , He tried 89 octane and the noise was greatly reduced. It sounds like we all have been using 91-93 octane and are having this predetonating noise deal. Interesting , if this is how the computer reacts. When we in Michigan ever get Springtime, April-May usually, I can't wait to be able to get to a non-icy road to try 89 octane like SV Sutton did. Maybe this noise will clear up, I sure do not want engine damage that predetonation will eventually cause. So far it hasn't yet in 3300 miles, the dealer's tech said after scoping both cylinders for the beginning of holed pistons.

Hey Pilot,

You'll get used to the "character" of the boxer, there's nothing quite like them. My '06 RT now has a little over 82k miles. The only real chatter I get is at exactly 3500 rpm, sounds like timing chain rattle. I have been able to get some of it diminished by adjusting rocker arm end play...mention that to your dealer next time...I wouldn't do this yourself while under warranty due to the fact that you must loosen one head bolt to do this. And, once set, it shouldn't need another adjustment for a long time. Nonetheless, no harm will come to your boxer, they are extremely durable and would have to be out of adjustment so far, that to cause damage, it would likely not even run.

Terry

To all those R1200RT owners that are having good luck with their bikes; no abnormal noises , good mileage, great running in general, - I would like to know what octane fuel you are running ? That information might help those of us with this what seems to be a computer control of predetonation issue.
Thank you for future input.

93 Chevron or Shell (may contain up to 10% ethanol). Have seen a significant decrease in mileage. Prior to the ethanol I typically goy 50 - 53, now 46 - 48. Live in San Antonio.

Leon Franklin
08 RT

I have a 07 with 45k. Bought new in 08. It's hard to find anything without ethanol around here anymore. I only find 91 octane without ethanol, and 93 with. I've given in to the 93 with.
I don't really notice any difference.:scratch

Locally I usually have a choice between 89 and 91. Since the sticker on the fuel cap says 89 is OK, that's usually what I put in, rather than jumping straight for the highest number available.

I have had no unusual noises or engine behavior after 10k, and mileage from 43-51mpg depending on riding style and speed (and angle of the windscreen, I think.)

To all those R1200RT owners that are having good luck with their bikes; no abnormal noises , good mileage, great running in general, - I would like to know what octane fuel you are running ? That information might help those of us with this what seems to be a computer control of predetonation issue.
Thank you for future input.
My 06 RT gets between 50 and 55 mpg on 92 octane pure dino. No booze in my fuel.

What Marty said! We can only get 91 here in AZ. In the winter (ethanol blend) my mileage will dip to 46-47 from the norm of 50-53.

Terry

Well, I'm taking my 1200RT back to the dealer tomorrow to discuss the engine noise again. It's really bothersome to me. I can now hear it from idle through 6000 rpm. Pre-detonation like they told me last time...maybe, but I doubt it. I think something may have been disturbed at the 600 mile service. I now have 1750 miles on the bike in 4 weeks. I gotta say, if this is the way the engine is supposed to be then I don't want it. I've tried BMW fuel treatment...no luck. Chevron Supreme 91 Octane...no luck. Chevron 89 Octane...no luck. Actually the noise is flat out embarrassing. I'll ride by somebody hoping they don't notice...and that's no way to be. I've had a motorcycle license for 30 years, and have owned and been riding much longer than that. I used to work on small engines for a living. And I can tell you...this noise is not related to lugging this engine. Actually I plan to take it to a nearby dealer if I'm not satisfied tomorrow at the dealer I bought the bike from.

Back