• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Rite of Spring Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Changed the date to the 24th based on the votes

All right - the New Year has started, most of us have our bikes covered and on battery chargers so let's start planning for our first ride. :thumb

Time: April 24th, 2010

Inital Meeting Area: somewhere near the New England Air Musueum in Windsor Locks CT for breakfast

Ride Plan: After breakfast ride Route 20 West, to 8 North to Mass 23 west to Rte 7 South to Rte 4 East and then cut north Rte 10 back to the Air Museum and hang out there for a late lunch and see the Museum.

Items that need to be finalized:

• Breakfast location
  • Alternate route for Route 10 leg back to the Museum
  • Lunch Location

We got plenty of time to come up with a kick butt plan to start the riding season, so let this thread be a blank canvas for brainstorming.

Cheers

Luis

OK Changed the date to the 24th based on the votes

Items that need to be finalized:

Breakfast location
Alternate route for Route 10 leg back to the Museum
Lunch Location

We could meet at the Crackerbarrell restraunt in Enfield. Warehouse Point for breakfast. It's right off I91. I will get the exit number (it's either 44 or 45 I think, you can see it from I91)if everyone is cool with that.

I have been thinking about the return trip. We can take 7 south out of Great Barrington to 128 East over Mohawk Mountain and then 63 south to 4 west into Torrington. From there we can hop up route 8 north and cut back over 20 east to Granby and Windsor Locks. Rte 20 is well worth travelling in both directions although it may be a little beat up from the winter. I can refine this down to eliminate a couple of the larger roads between now and then. If everybody is cool with the route, I will print out the (suggested) route sheet for everyone.

Lunch? :eat:dunno

We could meet at the Crackerbarrell restraunt in Enfield. Warehouse Point for breakfast. It's right off I91. I will get the exit number (it's either 44 or 45 I think, you can see it from I91)if everyone is cool with that.

I have been thinking about the return trip. We can take 7 south out of Great Barrington to 128 East over Mohawk Mountain and then 63 south to 4 west into Torrington. From there we can hop up route 8 north and cut back over 20 east to Granby and Windsor Locks. Rte 20 is well worth travelling in both directions although it may be a little beat up from the winter. I can refine this down to eliminate a couple of the larger roads between now and then. If everybody is cool with the route, I will print out the (suggested) route sheet for everyone.

Lunch? :eat:dunno

Steve - sounds like a great plan - let's move forward with what you have.

Where are we going to be at lunch time? I can look for some suggestions once I know.

Also is the museum in or out - does not matter to me - just need to know

Thanks

Luis

Where are we going to be at lunch time?

Eating lunch, I hope! ;)

If we're anywhere near the airport in Windsor Locks, I know of a great Japanese restaurant near there, or there's a number of places to stop and eat along that strip of the Ella Grasso turnpike...

I don't know anything about the area so I can't offer any suggestions of places to eat. I am just hoping to eat!

Ride Plans

Participating

This is what I have so far for a bike count = 10

1. Semper Fi
  2. Mrs. Semper Fi
  3. Empeg9000
  4. RTRyder
  5. Oldhway
  6. Briana
  7. 11940
  8. PFiedler
  9. BMWPhreak
  10. Howard Quint

I am estimating that there will be a total of 13 because I am assume Steve (Oldhway), Stephen (empeg9000) and Joe (11940) will bring someone.

We should have a good understanding of how many are participating to see if we have to reserve space at either breakfast or lunch locations.

If you are planning to bring another person or another rider just post so we are all aware.

Lunch - let's get some ideas posted for review

RIDE RULES - which will be brought up at the first meeting when every one is together

• All riders with GPS should have the main way points programmed into their units; mandatory for lead and lag bikes
    [*]p
  • 2 second STAGGERD formation - last trip we got away from that by some of the leaders, and as we are all aware causes a ripple effect down stream
    [*]p
  • The Lead Bike should have a phone that can be used while driving, ie receive and make calls
    [*]p
  • We need a dedicated tail dragger and this person should also have a phone that is usable while riding - in this manner the lead and lag bikes can be in communication
    [*]p
  • Slow Traffic passing - this is to be done only in legal passing zones, when the pass is initated by the lead bike it is the responsibility of each of the subsequent riders to pass in a safe and proper manner. The lead bike will maintain pace from the front and the lag bike will communicate to the lead bike when they have passed the moving obstacle.

I bring up the slow traffic pass because we had an instance on the last ride where it was painful and chaotic and am trying to avoid that.

There are always more group riding rules but i just want to set up the minimal baseline.

The goal here is to have fun, enjoy ourselves, and be safe

Participating

This is what I have so far for a bike count = 10

1. Semper Fi
  2. Mrs. Semper Fi
  3. Empeg9000
  4. RTRyder
  5. Oldhway
  6. Briana
  7. 11940
  8. PFiedler
  9. BMWPhreak
  10. Howard Quint

I am estimating that there will be a total of 13 because I am assume Steve (Oldhway), Stephen (empeg9000) and Joe (11940) will bring someone.

We should have a good understanding of how many are participating to see if we have to reserve space at either breakfast or lunch locations.

If you are planning to bring another person or another rider just post so we are all aware.

Lunch - let's get some ideas posted for review

RIDE RULES - which will be brought up at the first meeting when every one is together

• All riders with GPS should have the main way points programmed into their units; mandatory for lead and lag bikes
    [*]p
  • 2 second STAGGERD formation - last trip we got away from that by some of the leaders, and as we are all aware causes a ripple effect down stream
    [*]p
  • The Lead Bike should have a phone that can be used while driving, ie receive and make calls
    [*]p
  • We need a dedicated tail dragger and this person should also have a phone that is usable while riding - in this manner the lead and lag bikes can be in communication
    [*]p
  • Slow Traffic passing - this is to be done only in legal passing zones, when the pass is initated by the lead bike it is the responsibility of each of the subsequent riders to pass in a safe and proper manner. The lead bike will maintain pace from the front and the lag bike will communicate to the lead bike when they have passed the moving obstacle.

I bring up the slow traffic pass because we had an instance on the last ride where it was painful and chaotic and am trying to avoid that.

There are always more group riding rules but i just want to set up the minimal baseline.

The goal here is to have fun, enjoy ourselves, and be safe
Sounds good Luis. Who is going to make up the GPS waypoint and email them around? I don't know that area at all so I need help with that.

i have no idea how to make GPS way points but I will write out the specific course and post it here for everyone plus have it printed up the day of the ride. I am still fiddling a bit with the Cornwall bridge back to rte 20 part.

the Fabulous Mrs Me will be unable to attend since she has decided we should raise fiber animals and will be at a Sheep and fiber animals seminar/show. I cannot express the depths of my joy over this new endeavor.... just kidding, it should be fun :dunno.

If folks want to avoid meeting off rte 91 at Crackerbarrel, we could simply meet at the mcDonalds on rte 20 in Granby. Quick bite and get moving quick.

i have no idea how to make GPS way points but I will write out the specific course and post it here for everyone plus have it printed up the day of the ride. I am still fiddling a bit with the Cornwall bridge back to rte 20 part.

the Fabulous Mrs Me will be unable to attend since she has decided we should raise fiber animals and will be at a Sheep and fiber animals seminar/show. I cannot express the depths of my joy over this new endeavor.... just kidding, it should be fun :dunno.

If folks want to avoid meeting off rte 91 at Crackerbarrel, we could simply meet at the mcDonalds on rte 20 in Granby. Quick bite and get moving quick.

Steve - thanks for posting the waypoints - they are eas to enter just put the information in Save as something to do it again.

Never herd of fiber animals - something new.

Regarding the morning meetign place which ever has the biggest parking lot and ease of access i guess.

Luis

Yesterday, I washed the GS

Thursday, I got a bunch of diddly squawks fixed on the GS, including some slight damage to the left turn signal switch and air in the clutch circuit as a result of the bike unexpectedly leaning against my friend JJ's LT on the way home from Jacksonville in a trailer. It also has two new Tourance tires and a new tire pressure monitor, plus new oil, new brake fluid, and the HID high and low beam lamps installed. In doing this, I single handedly reduced the unemployment here in the rust belt by one man day.

Then I washed it, but not like you think. When I left my dealer at six, it was raining pretty hard, and about 50F. It's a 74 mile run home. Twenty miles from home it started to sleet, and my electric jacket ran out of gas, so to speak. So did the electric grips. Ten miles from home, it started to snow. Pulling in the Shaw Towers driveway, there was a half inch of ice on the bike's windshield and snow was sticking to the lawn. Then, it was my turn to run out of gas trying to get my frozen legs over the seat and onto the garage floor. Riding 74 miles in rain and snow, on two slick brand new tires in freezing conditions, pretty much had my tailpipe frozen in a pucker, too.

That was Thursday. I've now stopped shivering enough to type this. I glanced at the thermometer upon arriving; it said 31F. Next morning it was 28, and there were about two inches of slushy April showers on the deck.

I had dressed for a 40-50F ride. That bitch Mother Nature, and that fornicating weather man who predicted a low of 40 Thursday night, ought to get married. I'll make them a wedding cake.

Where's my Prozac?

Jim Shaw . . . ...o&\o... . . .
Hinckley, Ohio USA R1150GS Moto Noir
Breaking the rules...

I'm / we're in. Weather permitting with my kid. I just don't want to wait in line for hours to eat at Gould's - with YB.
I think the first rest stop is like Framingham :scratch
Give me a time & place were there !

Joe - looking more at Westborough exit as this is the intersection with 495, Philip would be coming down that way.

Once i figure out the time will let you know.

Luis

Joe - looking more at Westborough exit as this is the intersection with 495, Philip would be coming down that way.

Once i figure out the time will let you know.

Luis

Luis,

I'll be heading north up 128, could meet you at some point like the RT 30 exit off 128 then get on the pike to slab it westward. I think RT 2 would be a much nicer ride though it would take a lot longer to get to western MA, if you just want to get there, then the pike is really the only option.

Took the RT out for a 150 mile shakedown ride two Sundays ago after awakening it from hibernation, I'm ready to go!

If you come up with a finalized set of waypoints, post them and I'll plug them into my Garmin. Still have your cell # in my phone, just have to make sure the voice dial still works with my J&M bluetooth (had to replace the phone a few weeks back)

Ken

P.S. the staties are really stepping up revenue generation using Lidar on the pike and other major Mass highways lately if you hadn't noticed, it may be wise to keep the velocity down on that road, DAMHIK...

Hey Ken - welcome back :wave

Will get back to you on the pike versus Rt2

Steve (Oldhway) has put the ride togther from Windsor Lock on - lots of work - thanks Steve :thumb and will be posted later

We'll be posting meeting times and other information shortly.

Luis

Whichever way we go is ok with me, just give me a time and place and I will be there. I hate riding the big roads as much as the next guy, would be nice to find another way out west. Not sure RT 2 is the answer, it is a great road out west but seems a bit out of the way for an early appointment. No big deal for me to meet down by 128 if need be. Does any one know of any cool roads that run parallel to mass pike on the south side? I see some roads on the map that might work once you get pass 495; maybe some recon or a LRRP will be required. (Luis I will explain what the terms; recon and LRRP mean later. LOL).

OK - just found out I need to go on a business trip the week of the 19th and wont be back in time for the trip.

I propose - yes I am sorry to say this - propose to make it the 17th

I am so sorry for this - if it is too late to change - everyone goes and I just miss it - not a problem.

:bow

As you can tell I have a fluid travel schedule.

Whichever way we go is ok with me, just give me a time and place and I will be there. I hate riding the big roads as much as the next guy, would be nice to find another way out west. Not sure RT 2 is the answer, it is a great road out west but seems a bit out of the way for an early appointment. No big deal for me to meet down by 128 if need be.

Philip - look into which roads would best get us there (Windsor) locks with out over traveeling and getting us to there between 930 to 10A; if there is something we can do let's do it, if not we just slab it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back