• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Lock

M

Maplebliss

Is there a helmet lock on the 2002 R1150RT? If so, forgive my ignorance, but I can't find it. If not, what are good solutions other than pegs and handle bars? Any aftermarket devices? Thanks

Is there a helmet lock on the 2002 R1150RT? If so, forgive my ignorance, but I can't find it. If not, what are good solutions other than pegs and handle bars? Any aftermarket devices? Thanks

On my 99 RT there's one on each side of the rear seat. they are funny looking metal loops. I've had my bike for two years and just found out a couple weeks ago what they were for... PS they're mounted to the frame...

The RS has similar wire loops, accessible when the passenger seat is lifted. The problem is that the helmet strap from a fullface helmet is only long enough to permit locking if the helmet is handing next to the seat; the strap isn't long enough to permit locking if the saddlebags are in place, or if you want to put the helmet on top of the seat.

I had my brother-in-law (he had a bicycle shop at the time) form two loops on the ends of a piece of plastic-covered wire rope. The end-to-end length is about 12", and the loops are each about 2" long. I run this around the chinbar, push one end of the wire rope through the other, and there's enough length for the free end to fit over the bike's helmet loop. The helmet rests on top of the saddelbag. The wire rope stores in the tail compartment.

I bought a snow board lock. It has a combination and about four feet of cable. I run the cable through the openning of my full face helmet and then lock the lock around the luggage rack or the helmet locks under the seat. I also make sure the cable is as short as possible to reduce the amount someone could get at with cutters, and I try to get the cominbation section out of sight. Maybe I am just paranoid! I can lock two helmets with this or run the cable through the sleeve of a jacket and lock it as well. This has served me well on two BMWs over several years.

if you go to your local Police or Sherriff Dept. and ask for a gun lock, most will give it to you free. mine is aprox. 12" long and works great for locking a Helmet...

My 2002 RT has an after-market helmet lock at the license plate.

Helmet Lock extension

I went to Lowe's and got 2-14 inch pieces of small (I think 3/32) aircraft cable and 4 double hole swage fittings that you smash with a special tool (hammer in my case). Not pretty but do the job. Cost about a dollar each so the price was within my range. Make sure you keep the cut ends of cable inside the swage fitting so they can't seperate and poke a hole in your hand. I just slide them under the rubber band that holds the tool kit for storage under the back seat. They are always there when I need them.

Attachments

• IMG00172.jpg
    IMG00172.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 186
Helmet Lock Extension

Second shot of cable through D rings in helmet and hanging from lock. Just add rear seat. Will it stop every thief? No, but it will slow them down. Easier to cut helmet strap with knife than to cut my cable.

Attachments

• IMG00174 (2).jpg
    IMG00174 (2).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 185
I've found that for short absences I can close the long end of my Shoei helmet's chin straps (which have a small plastic tab that's used to tie up the loose end) under the system case handles and either sit the helmet on the pillion's seat, the case or let it hang forward on the case by the strap. Once the system case is locked with the handle down, the strap can't be removed.

I went to Lowe's and got 2-14 inch pieces of small (I think 3/32) aircraft cable and 4 double hole swage fittings that you smash with a special tool (hammer in my case). Not pretty but do the job. Cost about a dollar each so the price was within my range. Make sure you keep the cut ends of cable inside the swage fitting so they can't seperate and poke a hole in your hand. I just slide them under the rubber band that holds the tool kit for storage under the back seat. They are always there when I need them.

This systems works well unless you are touring with a tent strapped across the passenger seat. I have a similar cable made up at Home Depot that is permanently strapped and locked to the helmet lock and footpeg holder on my old '87 K. It is always available, even when the tent is strapped to the rear seat. I wish BMW had come up with a similar locking mechanism with the R1100s.

Back