• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Hexhead highway pegs from Ilium Works... '09 R1200 RT

Ride & Install report

Well, comrades, I haven't signed on in a couple of months, so I failed to post an update on the pegs. I've got about 1000 miles on them and here are my impressions:

1) Ride & comfort. I've never had a set if highwat pegs before, so I'm not sure how a set works on other bikes at highway speeds. At midwest speeds (speedlimit + 10 in my extensive experience), I notice a couple of things. One is that the sides of the R1200RT fairing presses against my legs (see attached pic). Another is that in the knees bent position, I get a lot of wind angled up into the cockpit. Not bad in 80F + conditions, not so good in below 70F conditions. However, I discovered that, if I push back onto the rear saddle and straighten my legs, I don't get any re-directed wind (no pic available for that one). Also, in that position, I feel that my boots are more secure. In the bent leg position, I feel as though my boots may slip off. In general, the relief is different and better that moving to the passenger pegs.

2) Quality. 1st class equipment. I like them and, despite the stiff price, don't feel ripped off. BMW = Bring More Wampum.

3) Installation. One does have to remove the side tupperware to access the mounting locations. (more pics in following posts). I did have to get my Torx 55 3/8" drive socket turned down to fit in the rear mounting post hole of the pegs. Ilium was good with phone support.

Bottom line - I'm not sure. I've only done a couple of 200+ mile rides this year and I think those rides are the ones that will prove the worth of this add-on. I guess I'll have to just keep riding.:dance

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 544
More Ilium highway peg pics #1 - installation

Got to strip it down this far.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 536
More Ilium highway peg pics #2 - installation

Installed on the bike. The rear hole was too narrow for my 3/8" Torx socket. I had the socket turned down at work - helps to have a machine shop staffed by riding buddies.

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 534
More Ilium highway peg pics #3 - riding position

I'm 6 foot tall with a 32" inseam.

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 538
More Ilium highway peg pics - what you get for $300

The allen wrench is for adjusting the position of the pegs on the rail.

Attachments

• IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 534
Thanks for posting that info Fred. I have a practical question:
Is it easy to flip the peg in and out while riding? How much hunting and pecking does this take or do you need to flip it out at a stop?

Thanks in advance.

Flipping the pegs

After a little practice, (and with my size 13 boots), I have no difficulity flipping the pegs out. I did, at first, kept trying to flip the shift lever & rear brake pedal, but practice helped.

The allen wrench is for adjusting the position of the pegs on the rail.

Please note: these do NOT work if you have Wunderlich engine guards. There is not enough clearance to install them. I received my pair, tried to install, asked Bob's BMW to help, and we couldn't do it. To their credit, the folks at Ilium agreed (after I sent them pictures) that the product did not fit Wunderlich bars, despite their previous claims to the contrary (they had installed spacers to make up for the slightly thinner bars). They gladly agreed to refund my money.

So I'm still waiting for some good quality highway pegs!

With BMW Engine Guards

I installed the aluminum BMW engine guards on mt 2010RT and would like HWY pegs. Does anyone know if these work with the BMW guards in place

I installed the aluminum BMW engine guards on mt 2010RT and would like HWY pegs. Does anyone know if these work with the BMW guards in place

Unfortunately it says on their website that the pegs do not work with head protectors. I have Illium Bar risers and really like the quality, so was looking to buy until I saw the lack of compatibility with head protectors:deal

Head Guards

I discussed with the dealer today and I will make a bracket that come off the head guards and mount a set of generic pegs to that bracket. It will take me some tome to fabricate this as I'm a little busy now but will post the result when complete.

Unfortunately it says on their website that the pegs do not work with head protectors. I have Illium Bar risers and really like the quality, so was looking to buy until I saw the lack of compatibility with head protectors:deal

I put th new highway pegs on AND I have the black head protectors. It wasn't even an issue. There was plenty of clearance. Go forward, having the pegs is nice, in fact I would have sacraficed the head protectors for them.

Ground clearance on Iliums on RT

Anyone have a guess as to how much ground clearence is lost? Little ? Lots? Do you think the peg feelers would still hit first or would the highway peg hinge (when folded) be first to contact in a turn? I really want a set but wouldn't want to grind them off or crash should I ever get into a curve over my head. I haven't come close to touchdown yet, I don't think, but also wouldn't want to give up much of the clearance built into the bike.
Thanks!:bikes

Anyone have a guess as to how much ground clearence is lost? Little ? Lots? Do you think the peg feelers would still hit first or would the highway peg hinge (when folded) be first to contact in a turn? I really want a set but wouldn't want to grind them off or crash should I ever get into a curve over my head. I haven't come close to touchdown yet, I don't think, but also wouldn't want to give up much of the clearance built into the bike.
Thanks!:bikes
Don Cameron stuck a set on at the rally. He headed out east before making his way back to NM and we had breakfast this morning on his way through to Deming.

I asked how he liked them. Said they're "ok" to stretch a leg but he could really do that by just standing up or letting them hang. I was also curious about touching them down when really hot. Don isn't a hot rider [he's not insane yet] but we crawled around checking things out and there is no way they're touching down unless you get into valve cover scraping territory. I've been known to run pretty hard and have eaten up some touchdown pegs on Oilheads and on my R12RT - but to me, valve covers are out of the question.

I noted that they were just too pricy for my wallet for as little as they'd get used and Don said he wasn't sure he'd buy them again.

Don will be home this afternoon, Stan. Email me if you want his email address and you can talk to him about tem.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks Steve

I called Ilium, again, today and they have actually measured them. Motorrad says the RT will do 45 degrees. Ilium fully compressed the suspension and measured with their pegs on and came in at 42 degrees. I have scraped the center stand on the GS but I'm sure I don't get near 45 degrees so I should be good. I going to do it as I need the stretch on long days. Ilium showed me a trick in Redmond. If you put your heel right on the pad and drop your toes forward you can really stretch out and the pegs won't fold up.

I rode home from Bismarck N.D. yesterday and the run made the decision for me. Thanks for the post.

Photo?

Anyone have a photo or a link to a photo for a set of these? I'm a new owner of a 2010RT and "stretching my legs" is something I'm missing. Thanks.

post #21 thru #25

I don't "think" they fit the 2010. Give Ilium a call, they're nice folks. :thumb

Back