• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cee Bailey's Windshield on a R1100RS

pschuyler

2000 R1100RS

I just bought a 8.5+ Cee Bailey's Windshield from BeemerBone Yard. The holes in the new windshield are larger than my OEM windshield screws with the little black plastic washers. I need help figuring out how to mount this without cracking the plastic. Cee Bailey's said the OEM screws should work, but the holes will not hold the screws without some type of large flat washer.

This is a picture from their website that looks like large flat washer are being used.

Any help would be great

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmws1100rs.htm

1100rsws2.jpg

Same issue

I have the same issue with a windshield I bought on the MOA site. Did you ever find a solution?

NX

Brass Sleeves?

Interesting problem, and it's funny (not very) that a fine company like Cee Bailey hasn't come up with a solution.

This may be crazy, and I've never tried it, myself, but could you put one of those little brass "sleeves" inside the hole? Seems to me as if this might (a) take up a little room, and (b) act as a stress-protector for the shield.

The "sleeves" I'm thinking about have a "lip" rolled at one end, and then just the tube of whatever length, which you might have to cut off (Dremel?) to match the 1/8-1/4" depth of the shield.

Good luck.

Walking Eagle

p.s. I just noticed (after posting) that the OP was two years ago, so am assuming that the problem was solved way back in 2010. Maybe this will help somebody else.

Come spring, I'm thinking about upgrading, or increasing my windshield to a larger-than-stock CeeBailey's.

Instead of the plastic washers, I was wondering if you couldn't use something like a rubber washer next to the plastic to give you some tension and sticking power. Then it wouldn't matter so much if the hole was a little large. You could still use a larger metal washer over the rubber one, but the rubber washer would be next to the plastic.

I just bought and installed a CeeBailey windscreen for my R1100S.

It came with properly drilled holes and properly sized washers. Used the original screws. 10 minute installation.

Just my 2 cents.

I just installed a new Cee Baileys windshield on my 2012 G650GS. It came with differant screws than the original used. The new ones had a rubber washer that goes on the bolt before going threw the hole in the windshield.

Take the shield and a bolt to any good hardware store. Tell the hardware guy you are looking for a nylon or plastic "T bushing" that will fit in the hole and work with the OD of the bolt.

Once you find the right diameter you may need to shorten the bushing length to just less than the thickness of the windshield. I'd do that on a flat sanding block.

Take the shield and a bolt to any good hardware store. Tell the hardware guy you are looking for a nylon or plastic "T bushing" that will fit in the hole and work with the OD of the bolt.

Once you find the right diameter you may need to shorten the bushing length to just less than the thickness of the windshield. I'd do that on a flat sanding block.

Good info. The problem here of course, is finding a "good hardware store" that has a guy or gal that has even a remote clue of actual hardware, especially something like a bushing.

I remember several years ago walking into a hardware store and telling a guy that I needed a connecting link for a #65 roller chain, since I needed it to repair my snowblower. I saw his eyes glaze over. I could have been speaking ancient Greek for all that he understood.

For the record, I did find the connecting link hanging up on a rack that had various repair parts for lawnmowers and snowblowers. But, I had to find it completely on my own.

Good info. The problem here of course, is finding a "good hardware store" that has a guy or gal that has even a remote clue of actual hardware, especially something like a bushing.

I know. But most ACE hardware stores have these bushings in a yellow drawer in the aisle with all the oddball real hardware. The same is true for decent sized True Value stores, but I forget the color of their little drawer bins.

Windshield Vibration

Paul, you might have previously commented (on another thread, or in one of your columns) about the extreme high rate of vibration that occurs on our windshields when at speed. I forget the exact "reading" of the cycles, but suffice it to say that a LOT is "happening" to the shield that is quicker than the eye, creating a lot of stress on the mounting holes.

Thus, the importance of a good mount, or cracks will soon decorate that expensive plastic.

For anyone close to a "Big Box" store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.), they do have a drawer in the Hardware area that has nylon fasteners, and you might get lucky with the size. Some have said that Fastenal stores won't sell small quantities to individuals, but if you get to know the manager. . .they might do, and they sometimes carry more exotic items, to include more sizes of nylon. Also, there are online stores that sell anything you could want in small quantities, to wit:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/company_profile.cfm

Walking Eagle

Back