Thread: 07 K1200GT oil filter

07 K1200GT oil filter

I am going to give the new bike a oil change, what suggestions out there for a good quality engine oil filter. Do I use only BMW filters? Or can I get one at NAPA without fear?

Year says you're in the wrong place. Its got a wedge motor.

Any decent filter that is a cross match to the part number will work fine but IIRC the bike uses a very short filter that isn't likely to be found at a car parts place (unlike filters for boxer motors).

Be aware there are extra steps changing oil on a wedge motor- it not just drain and fill. READ THE SHOP MANUAL (RepROM disc). Aside from (annoying compared an R model) removal of panels you also need to drain and refill oil tank, not just the motor. See the thread by Semper Fi for the K1300 in the DIY for wedge bikes. He uses a vacuum extractor on the tank though slow gravity drain is possible.

To worry about a couple extra $ for a filter on a bike that is a nuisance to do an oil change is nuts IMO.

3 Red Bricks
    Moving this over to Wedges.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I just finished changing the oil on my 2007 K1200R Sport this weekend. There are four places to spill oil on this bike and I hit them all

Some notes from my oil change.
    1 I used MAHLE oil filter from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/MAHLE-Original...ype=motorcycle
    2 I used the gravity drain and it went faster than I expected. It is important to note I was distracted by cleaning up one of my oil spills.
    3 There was a lot more oil in the engine than I expected. I made a mess with that as well.
    4 I find it very rewarding to do these simple maintenance items on my motorcycles in spite of the mess and my awkwardness.

Here is the doc I referenced for my oil change, https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...2l6UTM2T2VOaWM

m@
    07 K1200R Sport
    94 R1100RS
    98 R1200C

I agree on your oil change, I prefer to do most of my own service. The oil change went very well for me (thanks U Tube) just two small spills. I am amazed at how much better the clutch works with fresh oil.
    2007 K1200GT 2013 Can Am Outlander 800r quad. Diesel pulling tractors,, Cutting Australian Opal,, Sea Kayaking