Thread: K1300gt gas gauge not working

K1300gt gas gauge not working

I hope someone out there can offer some guidance for troubleshooting my problem before I start tearing the plastic off my 2010 K13GT.

I drained and removed the gas tank last fall in order to add wiring for a new fuse block and some farkles. The tank got moved around and left in various positions throughout the winter and spring due to the limited space I have to work in. After putting everything back together and patting myself on the back because the fuse block and farkles worked perfectly, I put a few gallons of gas in the tank and started her up only to discover the gas gauge reads full.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
    Tom

Welcome to the forum Tom

There are two connectors on the fuel pump plate...hopefully you have the smaller of the two not completely seated. Still have to remove tank to check.

If not, welcome to the club on failed fuel strips. Nothing short of replacing is the solution for that. BMW does offer a long term warranty after the replacement.

Here is some discussion:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....uel-strip-poll

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....ght=fuel+strip
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Start by checking connections, but since the K13GT uses a traditional float-style sending unit, chances are the float on your sending unit is hung up. Take the bike for a ride on some not-particularly-smooth streets and see if the float frees up.

Best,

DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 K100RS (r.i.p.) -- 1995 R1100RSL (gone, never forgotten) -- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT

13GT def has a float instead of strip. Still could be the connector, but the float arm does come into play.

just looked at a picture of the K13 fuel pump assy.
    Noticed a single connector on the 13's fuel pump plate as well, so the float looks more of a cause.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait